Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Where to buy grass fed meats?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Where to buy grass fed meats?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Taylorspruill2014 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Tagged

food

meats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

candy_griffin
    Login to Send PM

Does anyone have a good place to get grass fed meats? Not just beef, but pork and chicken as well?

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Dick Jensen at the Flying J farm sells grass-fed beef. Chickens and pigs are omnivores, so ‘grass-fed’ isn’t really applicable.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Between whole foods and bluescreek farm you should be covered.

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

North Market Poultry & Game has grass fed bison as well as pastured chickens. I’ve seen grass fed/pastured chickens and cow at farmer’s markets, too.

candy_griffin
    Login to Send PM

Thanks!

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Not sure how much it might or might not matter to you, but many grass-fed cows are ‘finished’ on a few weeks worth of a corn diet to improve the marbling of the meat. If that’s a concern, it’s probably best to ask.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Up the Lane Farms at the Worthington Farmers’ Market is also a good source for grass-fed beef.

bzarcher
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve been doing the bulk of my meat shopping lately at the Worthington Farmer’s Market, between Up the Lane, Speckled Hen, and the other vendors there, it’s been a good source.

After the farmer’s market season, in addition to the other suggestions, Mosley’s Meat Market in Hilliard is a good source. Most of it is “pastured”, not solely grass fed, but it’s good quality – especially their pork.

manticore33
    manticore33
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    Coreroc
    Coreroc
    Login to Send PM

They have weekly specials on grass fed meat at Ray Ray’s BBQ.

candy_griffin
    Login to Send PM

I’m trying to follow the paleo diet, so yes, I meant pastured piggies and chickens, and I’d preferably like beef finished on grass all the way, but mostly grass fed is still better than not at all! These look like great places to start looking. Thanks, undergrounders!

nycnyc
    Login to Send PM

What restaurants in Columbus serve grass-fed beef? Ive investigated S&W’s, Top, Clarmont, Hyde Park, and none of them do. Skillet only serves ground beef from Flying J in their burgers, but wheres an honest rib-eye in Cbus?

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The awesome Alana will sometimes charge more for corn-fed cow than pastured. Did I mention that she is awesome?

SonnyWood
    Login to Send PM

Well if you live in Georgia then you can go to the folks at Ridge Creek.

Beef Per Pound (Freezer weight) 4 $
    Pork Per Pound (Freezer weight) 2.50 $

Chicken raised 5 to 7 lbs costing $10.00 each. [LIVE NOT PROCESSED]
    Farm fresh eggs $3.00

For ordering Go to //www.ridgecreekfarmgeorgiagrassfedbeef.com/Home/tabid/3263/Default.aspx

CMH Gourmand
    CMH Gourmand
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

That Food Truck is starting a grass fed, locally sourced beef, pork and chicken CSA in a few weeks. I an sure Food Fort will post about it soon and by sure, I mean, I know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?