Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Where (in/near downtown) can I build a small, modern home?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Where (in/near downtown) can I build a small, modern home?

This topic contains 62 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by stephentszuter stephentszuter 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author

susank
    Login to Send PM

I know you are looking at a single family house, but you can find a 700sqft condo for just a bit more downtown.

this is just from a very quick search

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/150-E-Main-St-APT-305-Columbus-OH-43215/80897868_zpid/

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

susank said:
    I know you are looking at a single family house, but you can find a 700sqft condo for just a bit more downtown.

this is just from a very quick search

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/150-E-Main-St-APT-305-Columbus-OH-43215/80897868_zpid/

That’s just above my budget, but if I can find a nicely-built condo downtown for around that square footage in my price range, I may very well just do that.

In fact, I may just wait until some of the other condos are built and jump on one of those.

This is my second, very feasibly option. Buying an already-built condo.

Thanks! ;)

billbix
    Login to Send PM

Just looked at that condo info. It is right near the Commons with only $900 in taxes. You realize a new build will take twice as long and cost twice as much as you originally plan… ;)

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What about East Franklinton? I believe the city has land bank lots there for $500 a pop. Close to downtown. Good growth potential and all that.

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

billbix said:
    Just looked at that condo info. It is right near the Commons with only $900 in taxes. You realize a new build will take twice as long and cost twice as much as you originally plan… ;)

I think you’re right…

Maybe I should just wait until more condos are built and hope one of the lands within my current budget OR just continue to rent…

I’m not entirely opposed to renting for a few more years. Especially with the way the real estate market is changing in Columbus right now. Maybe prices will go down?

thomasp
    Login to Send PM

stephentszuter said:
    I think you’re right…

Maybe I should just wait until more condos are built and hope one of the lands within my current budget OR just continue to rent…

I’m not entirely opposed to renting for a few more years. Especially with the way the real estate market is changing in Columbus right now. Maybe prices will go down?

Yeah, who knows, it’s so volatile currently.

Renting is becoming extremely expensive close to downtown within the past two years, but then after all these apartments are built to fill demand, will it become cheaper soon?

Land near downtown (short north, vv, hw, grandview) is also skyrocketing in the past year, while prices elsewhere are stagnant.

It seems it may just continue upward, but who knows?!

billbix
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, at $139k that condo has been on the market for 3 months. It sold for $155k in 2006. How low it will go is anyone’s guess*, but it is harder to finance a condo these days. Regardless, I really like the Hartman building.

*definitely don’t see it going up anytime soon, but that isn’t a big deal if you plan on sticking around.

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Plenty of land bank lots in east fton. I concur on the construction cost. If you can build a new home for under 100k with utility tap fees and max sqft you indicated, let me know. Water,sewer alone can be up to 20k a piece, gas I’m not sure.

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Chris Sherman said:
    Plenty of land bank lots in east fton. I concur on the construction cost. If you can build a new home for under 100k with utility tap fees and max sqft you indicated, let me know. Water,sewer alone can be up to 20k a piece, gas I’m not sure.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That’s pretty crazy.

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pablo said:
    City of Columbus water tap fees:

http://utilities.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Public_Utilities/Contractors/2012ServiceConnectionCharges(1).pdf

City of Columbus sewer tap fees:

http://publicutilities.columbus.gov/content.aspx?id=37958

Thanks!

I think a prefab house would reduce my costs, but would only work on a vacant lot as opposed to the micro-house design I was contemplating in Downtown proper.

I guess I have more options than I had previously considered.

Maybe I should also open my budget up a little more. ;)

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pablo said:
    City of Columbus water tap fees:

http://utilities.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Public_Utilities/Contractors/2012ServiceConnectionCharges(1).pdf

City of Columbus sewer tap fees:

http://publicutilities.columbus.gov/content.aspx?id=37958

Not accurate, house on west park just for water was almost 20k. It’s a case by case basis.

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Well I shouldn’t say not accurate but I wouldn’t base a soft construction budget from it. These older neighborhoods and older systems are the cause for high tap fees.

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Chris Sherman said:
    Well I shouldn’t say not accurate but I wouldn’t base a soft construction budget from it. These older neighborhoods and older systems are the cause for high tap fees.

I have no idea as to actual costs, that makes sense that single connections would cost more than a new subdivision. Lets say you buy a distressed property and knock down the building and build a modern structure – would you have to pay tap fees or can you just use what’s there and pay for the inspection?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?