Our City Online

Messageboard - Music

CD101 Changing to 102.5 FM

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Music CD101 Changing to 102.5 FM

This topic contains 96 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jfellrath 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 97 total)
  • Author

MFRONE
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Also, if you go to the CD101 website they have a new logo (of some sort) that says 102Five in the same style as the CD101

alison
    alison
    Login to Send PM

WOSU is paying 4.8 million of (presumably) Ohio State’s money — doesn’t that need to be approved by the trustees?

dubdave00
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

catnfiddle wrote >>
    I suppose they can still be CD101 as in a progressive music survey course. On a side note, when did 106.7 change to Gen X Radio? It made me feel old.

Monday at 3pm.

@Walker
    That’s actually a really good question. On a personal level, ignoring my belief in sticking with heritage brand names, ‘CD’ does sound irrelevant today. Very tough call on what their branding should be post change to 102.5.

Ruth
    Login to Send PM

CD101 is keeping their call letters of WWCD, contrary to previous reports. That also explains where the “CD” originally comes from. It’s really only a frequency change…what’s the big deal?

Jim Lauwers
    Jim Lauwers
    Login to Send PM

Ruth, I think people are just surprised that a brand whose marketing has been so strongly tied to the frequency would then change that frequency within two months of making an announcement. Or at least, I am.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Honestly, I was just surprised by the last minute notice of the announcement. I imagine this will leave a lot of people confused.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

looks to me like they’re just swapping transmitter sites (and transmitter/antenna systems).

Honestly, once I learned how how antennas work i never had too much trouble picking them up, and I’m sure I won’t have any trouble on the new freq either.

*shrug* I’m frequency agile!

edit: correction: splatter from the 99.7 transmitter is creating MASSIVE interference at my location on 102.5 right now. It will take some effort to null that interference out.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

i love listening to 89.7, i hope i am able to get 101.1 in on my soso radio, because now, 101.1 is hard to get to come in.

Ruth
    Login to Send PM

JimL2 wrote >>
    Ruth, I think people are just surprised that a brand whose marketing has been so strongly tied to the frequency would then change that frequency within two months of making an announcement. Or at least, I am.

Hmmm…I guess I’m missing something, then, because I’m not sure what announcement CD101 made two months ago. What did I miss?

CaD
    CaD
    Login to Send PM

So I suppose a few things jump to mind.

1. People still listen to terrestrial radio?
    2. Call signs are a beautiful thing, maybe they shoulda used those a long time ago.

CD101, while the best ‘alternative’ station in town, easily plays the most random mix of total crap in between those ‘alternative’ songs it drives me crazy if I have to listen to it.

Hip Current Alt Song
    Cranberries
    Hip Current Alt Song
    10,000 Maniacs
    Hip Current Alt Song
    REM

You get my point :D

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I really like CD101′s marketing. They do a great job.

I struggle with the programming as well. The very nature of “alternative music” isn’t much of an alternative anymore. A lot of the music you could hear on many top 40 stations. I usually listen to radio to discover music or to be reminded of good music that I’ve forgotten about.

I don’t tend to discover new music on CD101 with the exception of Sunday nights.

When I stream KEXP out of Seattle I always seem to discover new music, which happens to play on the right day and at the right time day.

It seems like this is a great opportunity to flex those marketing skills and step up the programming as well.

CaD
    CaD
    Login to Send PM

The satellite ‘alternative’ stations introduce me to new bands/music ages before I hear it on the radio here. You’d figure at least one programming guy at the radio station has satellite radio and can connect the dots.

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

CaD wrote >>
    The satellite ‘alternative’ stations introduce me to new bands/music ages before I hear it on the radio here. You’d figure at least one programming guy at the radio station has satellite radio and can connect the dots.

I rarely, if ever drive, though I’m in friend’s cars from time to time who play the radio. So, personally I don’t have much use for satellite.

I work online, pretty much all day, so music is huge part of my day. I would go nuts if I had to hear the same thing over and over again, no matter how much I like the band.

Thus, music discovery is a big deal for me and my sanity. I suspect a lot of you are in the exact same boat.

In addition to KEXP, my discovery also happens by reading blogs like Pitchfork, I enjoy Done Waiting. I also think the iTunes store does a decent job of suggesting like artists I wouldn’t have otherwise known about.

Obviously, Pandora does an ok job at this and automates the process reasonably well.

Anyhow, with CD101, I see an opportunity to step up the programming to support discovery of better music because I think it’s a significant problem and one that lots of people seek out.

Millions upon millions have been invested in technology to solve the problem and at the end of day, the human touch still wins in my opinion.

This is the opportunity.

DJs used to be taste makers, and some still are, but most radio is too cookie cutter.

I don’t think CD101 is cookie cutter, but the programming is average at best. On very rare occasions, I’m surprised by what’s being played. Otherwise it’s way too predictable.

Anyhow, I don’t care if it’s alternative or not, and I would imagine by improving the programming it could be an alternative to the other crap across the dial and might be a destination that people outside of the city actually want to stream.

P.S. There should be a 10 year freeze on playing The Postal Service to preserve everyone’s sanity.

Bonnie Dodds
    Bonnie Dodds
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ever since CD101 stopped playing music in the morning and integrated a morning show, I have no need for them anymore. The whole reason I listened to them in the morning was to avoid hearing crotch-shot jokes and guffawing middle-aged men on other stations. Rather than doing their own thing, it’s like they started taking pointers from Clear Channel, which made me quite sad.
    This move to 102.5 could be an opportunity to go back to basics with them and rebrand themselves back before they didn’t suck.

dmorris614
    dmorris614
    Login to Send PM

bonniefide wrote >>
    Ever since CD101 stopped playing music in the morning and integrated a morning show, I have no need for them anymore. The whole reason I listened to them in the morning was to avoid hearing crotch-shot jokes and guffawing middle-aged men on other stations. Rather than doing their own thing, it’s like they started taking pointers from Clear Channel, which made me quite sad.
    This move to 102.5 could be an opportunity to go back to basics with them and rebrand themselves back before they didn’t suck.

At least their snark is above dick and fart jokes.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?