Our City Online

Messageboard - Books

What is everyone currently reading?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Books What is everyone currently reading?

This topic contains 889 replies, has 259 voices, and was last updated by Jeff Regensburger Jeff Regensburger 2 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 890 total)
  • Author

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

gk wrote >>
    Things I’ve been Silent About: Memories by Azar Nafisi who also wrote Reading Lolita in Tehran – both fascinating accounts of living in Iran as a woman during pre and post- Shah periods.

good to know she has an new one! I love “reading lolita”

Just read “Sway” and thought it was fun but not a lot of depth.

ali888
    ali888
    Login to Send PM

This is my first substantive post on this blog, but I love reading, so I thought I’d chime in. I’m a huge Sarah Waters fan, and her books are great–historical fiction that takes place in England. My favorites are Fingersmith and The Little Stranger. Also picked up Ray Bradbury’s collected stories recently, and I’m paging through those.

colrex7
    Login to Send PM

I’m currently reading Urban Nightmares by Steve Macek for one of my classes. It’s a great read for the urban enthusiast interersted in the rise of suburbs and struggles with the inner city.

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company That Is Connecting the World

http://www.amazon.com/Facebook-Effect-Inside-Company-Connecting/dp/1439102112

Great geek read so far, and a great read for those thinking about or working on startups.

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

Between Heart and a Rock Place…the Pat Benatar bio. Was apparently written for 4th graders…dreadful.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM
    rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cookie wrote >>
    The Poisoner’s Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York

How is that? Seem to recall I heard about it on NPR a while back, but never managed to pick up a copy.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

rus wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>
    The Poisoner’s Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York

How is that? Seem to recall I heard about it on NPR a while back, but never managed to pick up a copy.

I’m only a few chapters into it, but I like it so far.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I just finished The Disappearing Spoon, by Sam Kean. It’s about the periodic table – weird, but the storytelling is great, and my understanding of what atoms are and how they work has increased greatly after a chemistry hiatus that has lasted since high school. There was a month-long series in Slate by Kean that is a nice introduction. Can’t recommend it enough.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cookie wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

Cool, thanks.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Nitsud Regnifloh
    Login to Send PM

I just finished Supreme Injustice by Christopher Buckley, same author as Thank You For Smoking. It was quite quick, and I found it to be quite amusing.

Now I am on to For Whom the Bell Tolls. It’s been sitting on my bookshelf for years but just havent picked it up. Really looking forward to it.

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

joev wrote >>
    I just finished The Disappearing Spoon, by Sam Kean. It’s about the periodic table – weird, but the storytelling is great, and my understanding of what atoms are and how they work has increased greatly after a chemistry hiatus that has lasted since high school. There was a month-long series in Slate by Kean that is a nice introduction. Can’t recommend it enough.

THANK YOU! I’d gotten this from CML but didn’t pick it up and could not remember the name to put it back on my queue.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

berdawn wrote >>

joev wrote >>

THANK YOU! I’d gotten this from CML but didn’t pick it up and could not remember the name to put it back on my queue.

Maybe I should return my 2-weeks overdue copy…

KSquared
    Login to Send PM

rus wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

Cool, thanks.

This looks really interesting. Reserved and thanks!

dru
    dru
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Just finished reading One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night by Christopher Brookmyer. An interesting action/comedy of the Scottish Tartan Noir genre.

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 890 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?