Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The View on Fifth - New Mixed-Use Development in 5xNW

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The View on Fifth – New Mixed-Use Development in 5xNW

This topic contains 119 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  News 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • Author

tonloc620
    Participant

Just read this article about the new project on West Fifth Ave and Holly, wow couldn’t be any better. I hope this sets the tone for this area, it could be the next short north. I would really like to see more urban high density development in that area. Good job Mike

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2013/06/28/top-end-housing-for-w-5th.html

News
    Participant

Six-Story Mixed-Use Development Announced on Fifth Avenue
    Published on June 28, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Walker

A new 285-unit mixed-use development called The View on Fifth was announced this morning by JSDI Celmark, the developers behind the similarly named The View on High. The main six-story building located at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Holly Avenue will contain 153 residential units, a parking garage and ground-floor retail. The remaining 132 units will be housed in three story structures facing Holly Avenue with surface parking.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/six-story-mixed-use-development-announced-on-fifth-avenue

futureman
    Participant

Wow, this is huge for the area. I never thought I’d see something like this on 5th ave. A couple of highlights from the article..

The companies’ JSDI Celmark Ltd. joint venture wants to build a six-story, 153-unit luxury apartment complex on 1.9 acres at 965-1015 W. Fifth Ave. That project would include 24,700 square feet for commercial use fronting West Fifth Avenue.

The developers also plan to build a 132-unit, three-story complex on 3.1 acres on either side of Holly Avenue (1340 and 1343 Holly Ave).

Looks like on 5th this will be replacing American Plastics and the concrete commercial pad that has had fencing around it for awhile now.

buckette13

That’s awesome and I love the fact they are building a garage and having ground floor retail. This is what Edward’s should have been building on 3rd Ave.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised to see people whining about traffic on Facebook and Twitter. It just still surprises me that people choose to live in an area like 5xNW because of great proximity to amenities, and then complain when new amenities and neighbors arrive because they prefer lower levels of car traffic and would rather this site remained an undeveloped dirt lot.

futureman
    Participant

Walker said:
    I guess I shouldn’t be surprised to see people whining about traffic on Facebook and Twitter. It just still surprises me that people choose to live in an area like 5xNW because of great proximity to amenities, and then complain when new amenities and neighbors arrive because they prefer lower levels of car traffic and would rather this site remained an undeveloped dirt lot.

Traffic is truly awful on 5th, but I don’t see how ~300 more units would affect that what so ever. Once 3rd reopens things will get better, but it has more to do with very poor east/west main artery roads in this area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman said:
    Traffic is truly awful on 5th, but I don’t see how ~300 more units would affect that what so ever. Once 3rd reopens things will get better, but it has more to do with very poor east/west main artery roads on in this area.

Yeah, I’ve sat in traffic on 5th plenty of times, generally around rush hour. Otherwise it’s not really that bad IMHO. And yeah, it got a lot rougher after Third closed, but that’s temporary.

The 24/7 benefits far outweigh an extra minute or two commute during rush hour from time to time.

buckette13

There are only so many bridges over the Olentangy and a surprising number of people filter through there. At times it backs up all the way to Starbucks by Kenny. Which is fun to watch as the Starbucks drive thru people push out onto 5th.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

People struggle to embrace growth and what it brings to an area. I’m very happy to see both this and the High Street project.

InnerCore
    Participant

This is an outstanding project. The location is good, it’s central with easy access to other great areas. The product is great, and should really act as a catalyst for the area.

If they eventually build the same along 3rd with scattered commercial along the side streets I could see this area being better than SN with a true block structure.

Hopefully they take note over at Jeffrey Park because this is what they should be building.

heresthecasey
    Participant

I hope NRI takes note and rethinks their suburban strip mall plans for Grandview Yard.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

Walker said:

I think a lot of the negative reaction we sense in the community is the lack of involvement by those particular residents [EDIT – my original post read in a way that implied a different meaning]. Rather than leading, influencing and shaping development, they seem to react after something has happened or been announced. They can’t blame anyone but themselves. If the 5xNW committee is made up of business owners who are not residents of the neighborhood, then it’s up to the residents to speak up and get involved.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Traffic on 5th is only bad right now because 3rd is closed. Once they improve that, it will be fine.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Walker said:

If people don’t like traffic, they can move to North Dakota. That’s what it will take to get away from it. Otherwise, they’re just going to have to put up with it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

JaredThompson said:
    I think a lot of the negative reaction we sense in the community is the lack of involvement by the area residents. Rather than leading, influencing and shaping development, they seem to react after something has happened or been announced. They can’t blame anyone but themselves. If the 5xNW committee is made up of business owners who are not residents of the neighborhood, then it’s up to the residents to speak up and get involved.

For those interested:

http://development.columbus.gov/Associations.aspx?id=29820

Commission meets on the First Tuesday of each Month at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 2001 Northwest Boulevard, Rm. 110, Columbus, Oh, 43212 at 7:00 pm.

Personally, I doubt anyone will be interested enough to attend.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Looking for a new apartment or condo?

Explore what Bridge Park has to offer at our upcoming Urban Living Tour on Sunday, October 29th! Tickets are only $10 in advance or $20 day-of, and include a drink ticket for the AC Hotel bar!

CLICK HERE FOR $10 TICKETS