Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Welcome New Poster - Say Hello & Introduce Yourself

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Welcome New Poster – Say Hello & Introduce Yourself

This topic contains 653 replies, has 382 voices, and was last updated by mdonahoe7 mdonahoe7 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 646 through 654 (of 654 total)
  • Author

BuckeyeAngel
    Participant

Hello. My name is Angela. I am from Lancaster, but I am often in Columbus. I am currently trying to network and find an entry level position in Columbus. I’m hoping this site can help.

papillon
    papillon
    Participant

Welcome to the newbies. I keep meaning to check in on this boards more often and just forget.

It’ll be nice to have more new members to inject a little more interaction!

Hello! I joined the site so I could post on the Bollinger Tower thread and have already tangled (just a little) with Walker.

I graduated from North High School and lived in Clintonville for most of my life. I moved to Bollinger Tower less than four months ago after being on a waiting list for 7 1/2 months and then waiting another 1 1/2 months to get the paperwork completed and waiting for the paperwork to clear. After moving to Bollinger, I set about learning the history of Columbus and of the Short North. I used to ride the bus or drive from downtown where I worked and I rode by Bollinger when it was first built and always admired the building. I love to walk and explore the neighborhood and have found many things to love in the Short North and the environs, especially Goodale Park, Italian Village, the (now closed) Northside library, Victorian Village, and the beautiful Krogers on High Street.

I killed myself to move so I am just a little distressed to find that I will have to move again. There was absolutely no indication that Bollinger would be sold when I moved in. I first heard the rumors about the sale when I had been here for two months and I asked the building manager about the rumors and he said he had “no knowledge” of a potential sale. But, low and behold, a month later I was reading in my apartment on a Saturday afternoon and heard a scrape at my door and looked outside to see the notice that CMHA had “entered into a contract” to sell Bollinger to the Schiff Capital Group. Can you just imagine what that was like? It was devastating! I thought I had stepped into the Twilight Zone.

The tenants had a meeting with Bryan Brown and Ron Lebsock of CMHA a week later and then a few days after that, we got the notice that the building manager (the one who had “no knowledge” of a potential sale) was moving out of state and that he was being replaced by a CMHA (former) employee.

As I stated earlier on the Bollinger thread, I feel that there has been too much secrecy and outright lying involved in this situation and the only way I know to respond is to get as much out in the air as possible. CMHA does not care about the people it is supposed to serve, that is clear to me. If they had planned to sell this building, they should have stopped renting out the units, found alternate housing for the current tenants, and then put the building on the market. Since it is such a “prominent” building sitting there “prominently on the block” as Michael Schiff said, it surely would have had no problem selling. As I have stated on the Bollinger thread, however, I do not agree that the building should ever be sold. It was built for one purpose and it should remain that way.

If the development of the Short North continues the way it is, it will certainly become unlivable and I think that the residents of the Short North will be sorry they did not protest the sale of bollinger when they had a chance. I really don’t think there is any way they can stop the sale, however (and I am not sure this was not already a “done deal” when CMHA met with the tenants on March 4), since this involves big, big money and “money talks” as we all know. As someone said on the Bollinger thread, the Short North is becoming a “tourists only” destination.

njbecky
    Participant

Hi everyone….I’ve been lurking for awhile, and just registered so that I could join in on the New Home Buyers thread. My partner and I moved to Cbus nearly 6 years ago from central NJ due to a job relocation. We love it here, although admittedly were a bit apprehensive about moving to “The Midwest”. This website is great and very helpful for keeping up with the goings-on in and around the city. So, from Victorian Village, a big hello!

calvin8tor
    calvin8tor
    Participant

my admiration to Walker for hanging with this to get it where it is today. I just joined after having the site bookmarked for a few months. I’m a long time Grandview resident, recently retired and am also a musician (retired from that too!) Lots is happening to my little old village and my family is deeply rooted here, so this is a good place to stay up on the Yard in particular. Looking forward to what happens here.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

my admiration to Walker for hanging with this to get it where it is today.

Appreciate that, but it’s certainly a team effort. ;) Wouldn’t be able to do any of this alone!

OBXNC
    Participant

Hello from the edge of America! I reside on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, a chain of barrier islands off our coast.

We’ve seen more and more visitors to our beaches from the great state of Ohio and particularly around Columbus. I’m a huge fan of message boards in other areas and was completely stoked to find CU. Thanks for allowing me to register, and thanks to those of you who have made the trip to our shores for a vacation!

MaryBeth2140
    Participant

Hello!! My name is Mary and I need a little help. My grandparents died a few years ago, leaving there home empty. I was told it had a tax lien on it but was unable to find any lien. Their children want nothing to do with the property and as far as I knew my brother was taking care of it. About a month ago I drove by and its been condemned by the city. I’ve asked my brother and he keeps giving me the run around and ive tried to contact the number on the notice, left numerous messages and no call back. Who can i call to get my questions answered. I would like to begin fixing the property up. But not sure why it was condemned or if I’d get fined for entering the property.

mdonahoe7
    mdonahoe7
    Participant

Hello, I am glad to be part of the Underground Columbus followers. I was raised on the south side of Columbus and have been in or near Columbus ever since. I have been happily married for the past 25 years and we have a fairly large family. I am also a City of Columbus employee. I am always interested in hearing about the happenings and events going on in Columbus.

Viewing 9 posts - 646 through 654 (of 654 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.