Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Weinland Park Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Weinland Park Redevelopment – News & Updates

This topic contains 417 replies, has 79 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 2 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 418 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

@ dbincbus are you this guy – ‘db108108′? I think you posted in another thread on CU with another name.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/columbus/1206081-weinland-park.html

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrpoppinzs said:
    Anything but a carryout!

Hopefully PBS LLC will find a new home…

Might make for a nice restaurant/bar space with patio seating.

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

I have no idea how strict liquor laws are, but that is right across the street from Weinland Park Elementary School.

dbincbus
    Login to Send PM

I am db108108 – I forgot my username and password so I re-registered.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, I think you ended up on the wrong corner at the wrong time. If one looks at the crime reports that area has had multiple assaults, robberies and drug issues lately. Someone needs to put the hammer down before it really effects Brother’s Drake and Middle West. People are getting hassled all along that block.

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

Signs:

I saw some signs when driving through WP this weekend and have a few questions.

1) There is a sign on the vacant lot where those nuisance apartments at 4th st and 8th Avenue were torn down. It says something like “Good things are happening. Watch this site.” Is that relating to a defined project or is it more wishful thinking? I thought they were going to plop some WagCo homes there.

2) Saw that they have started to put in the new “Short North – Welcome to Historic Weinland Park” signs. Does anyone know the specific locations of where all the signs will be? They also seem really short.

(The picture below is from the Weinland Park blogger and is at Summit and 11th Ave.)

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The signs on Fourth and Eighth are for 8 new Rockford homes. The lots are being platted now and construction ought to start soon. And the related signs in 11th are for the state and federal historic tax credit restoration of the row houses between North Fourth and Grant that should begin in the fall.

The signs are short because there aren’t cars in front of them. A pedestrian focus for a very walkable neighborhood.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

Evelyn Van Til said:

The renderings I’ve seen bring back key historic elements and look fantastic. While questions remain around parking, this news is certainly worth celebrating!

I can see what you are talking about now. It looks like they plan on putting strip mall style parking lots behind the historic housing. That is NUTS and hurts the argument against student ghetto landlords paving backyards. I am hoping the UARB vetoes that.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

Other good news

Bincho Taqueria Coming This Fall to Weinland Park

http://www.columbusunderground.com/bincho-taqueria-coming-this-fall-to-weinland-park

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

mrpoppinzs said:
    It looks like they plan on putting strip mall style parking lots behind the historic housing.

Strip Mall parking typically goes in the front of buildings. Just sayin’. ;)

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Strip Mall parking typically goes in the front of buildings. Just sayin’. ;)

Except in the first strip mall designed for cars, our very own Bank Block (I read the sign by Staufs). I would say it looks similar to that. The difference of course is that in WP they are paving lawns and putting it behind historic residential in a highly walkable, busable area.

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Back in the day, 1922 to be exact, it didn’t need much parking because there was a street car and an interurban railroad station within a block of the development. Nothing but lawn in the back. It would have been very pleasant not to mention sustainable.

jimbach
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

leftovers said:
    2) Saw that they have started to put in the new “Short North – Welcome to Historic Weinland Park” signs. Does anyone know the specific locations of where all the signs will be? They also seem really short.

(The picture below is from the Weinland Park blogger and is at Summit and 11th Ave.)

There will be additional signs installed at some point, we know where we want them to go but we might not be able to put them in all those places. There will be some taller signs as well, depending on location.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

@rory

Not sure I follow. It seems this parking lot idea is new, the street car and interurban have been gone along time. Currently there are parking pads behind the buildings with a limited number of spots. There are also COTA routes on 4th and Summit and a little further on High St. I am totally against paving backyards.

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrpoppinzs said:
    @rory

Not sure I follow. It seems this parking lot idea is new. Currently there are parking pads behind the buildings with a limited number of spots. There are also COTA routes on 4th and Summit and a little further on High St. I am totally against paving backyards.

I’m just saying that if there was a street car the development could have the three parking spots it was originally designed with. But you’re right there are enough transportation options in a neighborhood as walkable as Weinland Park without making it into a suburban style lot. I’m militantly against paving back yards too.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?