Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Weinland Park Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Weinland Park Redevelopment – News & Updates

This topic contains 410 replies, has 75 voices, and was last updated by  goldenidea 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 411 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

If the auditor’s site is correct the Bristol Bar property sold for $200k. That is crazy.

These are the buildings that were also sold in the package:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/3038557627.html

goldenidea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The auditor’s website IS correct. It sold at the listed price and it will lease easily, but that parcel does have some drawbacks, such as no parking. Also, that intersection isn’t all that attractive with the car lot, the taxi lot, and the carryout. Yet, despite the drawbacks, a move-in ready bar just a couple of blocks east of High St ought find a tenant pretty quickly.

They have the townhouses listed at $825 and are showing them as they work on them. My thought is $825 is a tad high with no parking, but if they can get that, great.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

goldenidea said:

They have the townhouses listed at $825 and are showing them as they work on them. My thought is $825 is a tad high with no parking, but if they can get that, great.

It says all but one is leased (two were leased well a head of move in). I think that property is pretty close to IV and High St/SN and newly renovated really helps. Personally, I have always liked that area of Summit by the Park.

I think the intersection of 5th and Summit has a lot of future potential.

goldenidea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It says all but one is leased. I think that property is pretty close to IV and High St/SN and newly renovated really helps. Personally, I have always liked the area of Summit by the Park.

The townhouses are right behind the Bristol building. I’m nearly certain they were all vacant about a month ago and doubt they’ve been leased yet. On that block, they’re the farthest units from the park, being almost at the Summit/E.5th Ave intersection. But that block isn’t bad and definitely has seen better tenants occupy it over the past five years.

I think the intersection of 5th and Summit has a lot of future potential.

I agree it has potential but it’s going to take time (maybe a lot of time) for the right offers and/or opportunites to arise to induce the existing property and business owners (i.e. the carryout, taxi and car lot/taco truck) to redevelop or sell to someone who will. Then the redevelopers have to be willing to commit to a big risk/investement/ and get financing to make a major improvment.

Look what’s happening presently at the NE corner of HIGH St. and 5th Ave. Even at that great location, on a vacant, cleared, shovel-ready lot, all we’re getting there is an argueably underwhelming one story development.

My thought on the Bristol deal is that in 2007, a $200K transaction was a pittance, but in today’s economy it’s more than it used to be. I bet the buyers couldn’t and didn’t finance this deal, I bet they paid cash.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

This is what it says in their ad, the copy has changed as it originally listed 3 units:

This townhome is steps from Italian Village and the highly desired Short North area. It’s part of a renovation of homes and businesses in the Weinland Park area. Take a sneak peek at this beautiful building as we’re working on it. ONLY ONE UNIT LEFT FOR AUG 1st MOVE-IN.

As far as development, I am sure you are right. It will take its sweet time, but at least it is headed in the right direction.

goldenidea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

As for Veliko Ventures, I watched one of their principals buy 1081 N. 4th St at Sheriff’s Sale back in ’08. They did a great job fixing and flipping that single family in a short time. But when I realized they bought that portfolio of multi-family rentals in and south of WP, I wonder what they were thinking. They have a couple five or six-unit buildings near D&J carryout, one directly across 4th St. and one on the SW corner of Hamlet and 8th. Both seemed to get pretty heavily trashed shortly after they bought the portfolio. To their credit, they’ve managed to recover, renovate, and re-occupy them.

As Veliko states in the Dispatch article, their portfolio isn’t profitable. It’s not easy to operate this kind of housing and make a profit. You would figure people with $2M+ in capital to invest would know this before hand. Perhaps they were expecting WP to improve faster than it has. The recession hasn’t helped.

Haller seems to be working to get out of WP. He appears to have recently condoed and listed several of his doubles. It would be good to see those get bought by owner occupants. They’re listed too high to operate as rentals at a profit. Over the years he did a lot of renovating and a lot of Section 8 leasing. If they sell as condo that will likely lead to in less Section 8.

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

Aesthetically and amenity wise the block near the park in Weinland Park has more going for it than a lot of places in IV. It has a park to walk your dog, bus stops, close to Short North, close to High St library, 2.5 blocks to the new Kroger, easy walk to OSU, etc, etc. There are also some nice brick buildings on that block which look nicer than a lot of stuff in northern IV.

I think the only thing that really keeps this area from taking off is the bad rep that WP has garnered over the years. As crime lessens the ‘ghetto’ stereotype will fade away just as it has in IV and the SN.

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

goldenidea said:

What is more surprising is that they were able to get that rent without apparently offering A/C.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/3038557627.html

buckette13
    Login to Send PM

Thanks Walker, Labi and Ameeker for your replies! I do not check here often enough.

I will call about that townhouse on Summit, if it is nice $825 is not too bad for a two bedroom close to High and not in a student or sketchy area. Though I think A/C or at minimum, window units in the bedrooms are a must. Those other doubles are even cheaper though they have a different vibe.

The places I saw near Fourth and 8th were very run down and at one of them some sketchy guy was yelling stuff at me while other people walked by oblivious. I was a little creeped out. No matter how much money I saved, it would not be worth it to me.

I walked around the park today and it seemed pretty nice. I think I will need to look at Weinland Park on more a block by block basis.

And Ameeker that area where you are living is going to be so nice!

thanks!

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

labi said:
    I was really frustrated by this story. If you look at the map of the properties, they are evenly split between WP and Italian Village, and the particularly bad one is on the IV side of the border.

Yet the story only mentioned WP and only bothered to quote someone from WP (although maybe that was because, to my knowledge, only WP lifted a finger to actually do something about that property, because it was causing problems north of Fifth Avenue. The WP civic association’s safety committee did it, and it took months, with no help from IV.)

So there’s another article where something bad is attributed only to WP. The sainted phrase “Italian Village” is never mentioned, and the article describes the area as being “close to the Short North” when half the properties are south of Fifth Avenue and the commercial landlord who is quoted complaining about the situation is primarily known for his investments in the Short North. To cap it off, they misspelled “Weinland Park” in the photo caption. Jesus.

I was really frustrated by this comment. While I completely agree that The Dispatch’s reporting often sugar coats the darling communities of the Short North south of 5th Ave, I’m offended by your characterization of our Italian Village neighbors.

To my knowledge, no one from the Italian Village Society goes out of their way to ask that The Dispatch omit the phrase “Italian Village” from their articles. So to assume, just because an article leaves out such language, that none of your neighbors care to help only damages the community we are all trying to build.

The WPCAA is a great organization with an important mission run by many dedicated individuals working towards a common goal. I wish the Italian Village Society had as many active members, committees, programs, projects, etc., but the truth is that it does not. That doesn’t mean we don’t care and don’t actively take part in helping make our community safe. In fact, our president lives in close proximity to the Veliko property on 5th. On numerous occasions, he has reported illegal activity to police and sent correspondence to property management.

Can we all do more? Yes, of course we can. Our neighborhoods may have borders, but our community does not. Please feel free to PM me and I will be glad to give you my personal email. You may contact me anytime about issues regarding safety. If I can help I will.

cbus11
    cbus11
    Login to Send PM

I was at Drake’s Meadery several months ago and I saw people from the boarded up Veliko apartment in the foreground walk over and start staring at the stuff in the personal training studio which is in the background building in the picture. It looked odd, but as there were cop cars in the Out of the Closet Lot I didn’t think anything would happen.

The next day I saw the picture window had been caved in and all of the freeweights had been stolen. I mentioned this to the police and they said they were aware of ‘neighborhood issues’.

I think having nuisance properties so close puts a drag on Weinland Park businesses such as Drake’s and Middle West Spirits. There is also a lot of suspicious back and forth activity between those apartments and shady people hanging out by the carryout across the street. I do not like walking past them.

I am glad that article was written and I hope it puts more pressure on the city to make the landlord clean up their act.

goldenidea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I recall back when Highball Halloween was having their stage show on that Friday night last year, I had to briefly meet with someone and 5th Ave and Mt.Pleasant was the closest place he could get to me. Walking eastward past that 45 E5th building, there was a woman and man having this huge knock-down screaming match, her on the sidewalk, him on the porch. It was far more drama than all of Highball! These people are the very definition of incivility, and apparently criminality too.

Weinland Park and northern IV would benefit greatly if these Veliko guys would cut their losses and unload some of their buildings to people interested in more than just cash flow.

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

cbus11 said:

I think having nuisance properties so close puts a drag on Weinland Park businesses such as Drake’s and Middle West Spirits. There is also a lot of suspicious back and forth activity between those apartments and shady people hanging out by the carryout across the street. I do not like walking past them.

Weinland Park’s biggest asset is probably its location. It has a very high walkscore, but that means nothing if people are hesitant to walk in it. As things fall into place hopefully that will change. Calling out problems and criminal activity is just as important as Wagenbrenner’s new homes.

Evelyn Van Til
    Login to Send PM

What do you think? Coffee shop? Gallery? Restaurant? Retail? Bar/Patio? All of the Above? Or?

Check out this positing for “800ft2 or 1600ft2 of retail space in the rapidly-improving Weinland Park neighborhood of the Short North” at 1306 N. 4th St. at East 7th Ave:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/off/3058353399.html

Tap into you inner urban planner and play…. Ready. Set. Go.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

Anything but a carryout!

Hopefully PBS LLC will find a new home…

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 411 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?