Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

Voter Suppression tactics in MI

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Voter Suppression tactics in MI

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  berdawn 6 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

I wonder how long it will take for the GOP to use this in OH?

http://www.michiganmessenger.com/4076/lose-your-house-lose-your-vote

Cyclist
    Login to Send PM

berdawn wrote I wonder how long it will take for the GOP to use this in OH?

http://www.michiganmessenger.com/4076/lose-your-house-lose-your-vote

I have no response other than ‘terrible’!

jawjack187
    jawjack187
    Login to Send PM

Wow.

Oooooooooooh!

We don’t give a damn…

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

jamesm
    Login to Send PM

Fortunately, last week the Ohio Secretary of State issued a directive which makes the process of removing voters off the rolls fairly complex.

As of her directive removing someone off the voter rolls requires a hearing. It simply would take weeks to remove even a small quantity of voters that way.

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

jamesm wrote Fortunately, last week the Ohio Secretary of State issued a directive which makes the process of removing voters off the rolls fairly complex.

As of her directive removing someone off the voter rolls requires a hearing. It simply would take weeks to remove even a small quantity of voters that way.

But the “challengers” can still bring them up and individual precincts will still have long lines and long wait times. I know at my precinct, the youngest poll worker was MAYBE 70. I can just imagine how well they would deal with this sort of thing. I hope as many people as possible use early voting.

Motorist
    Motorist
    Login to Send PM

berdawn wrote
    jamesm wrote Fortunately, last week the Ohio Secretary of State issued a directive which makes the process of removing voters off the rolls fairly complex.

But the “challengers” can still bring them up and individual precincts will still have long lines and long wait times. I know at my precinct, the youngest poll worker was MAYBE 70. I can just imagine how well they would deal with this sort of thing. I hope as many people as possible use early voting.

Maybe there should be a bigger push on getting young people to volunteer at the polls.

jamesm
    Login to Send PM

Motorist wrote

Maybe there should be a bigger push on getting young people to volunteer at the polls.

There has been. It’s still rough going though.

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

jamesm wrote
    Motorist wrote

There has been. It’s still rough going though.

I read an article after the last presidential election about someone’s experience with training to be a poll worker and it sounded pretty horrible.

I’m surprised there’s not a team of city year or americorps people to do this sort of thing. or maybe 4-H in rural areas?

jamesm
    Login to Send PM

berdawn wrote

I’m surprised there’s not a team of city year or americorps people to do this sort of thing. or maybe 4-H in rural areas?

It’s probably a bit too close to political participation than those groups would be comfortable with.

I loved being a pollworker. I did it happily for several years. Alas, it became more and more complex as time went on…the Help America Vote Act, the new voting machines and the identification laws took a lot of fun out of the process. What was an exciting day of citizen participation became a bad combination of ATM troubleshooter and BMV employee.

cr0m
    cr0m
    Login to Send PM

It will never cease to amaze me how calculating politicians have become. We need a 3rd party that can realistically challenge the norm.

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

cr0m wrote It will never cease to amaze me how calculating politicians have become. We need a 3rd party that can realistically challenge the norm.

It’s that “realistically” that’s going to doom that for the next 1/2 century or so.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?