Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

Urban Meyer at OSU

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports Urban Meyer at OSU

This topic contains 180 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by M.O. M.O. 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Brilliant coach whose periodic chest pains wouldn’t likely subside in The Horseshoe.

Discuss.

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Not feeling it

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ohio native with past OSU coaching experience. Recruiting and coaching phenom with multiple National Championships.

What’s not to love?

howatzer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

howatzer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

http://www.beyondusports.com/kirk-herbstreit-coach-urban-meyer-ohio-state-staff/[/url]

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It’s one of the premiere coaching jobs in college football, plus he now lives here. It was his dream job 15-20(??) years ago. It has now been presented to him on silver platter. I’m calling it, Meyer as OSU head coach 2012.

bman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Analogue Kid said:
    Not feeling it

I agree 100%

I don’t get a warm fuzzy about this guys ethics. He has bolted every place he has went. BGSU … win then bolt Utah … win then bolt Florida … win, chest pains, retire, unretire, struggle season then bolt.

Urban Meyer reminds me of John Calipari from Kentucky, the NBA, Memphis, U MAss .. he seems to always leave before shit hits the fan.

I will pass on Urban Meyer.

bman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jpizzow said:
    It’s one of the premiere coaching jobs in college football, plus he now lives here. It was his dream job 15-20(??) years ago. It has now been presented to him on silver platter. I’m calling it, Meyer as OSU head coach 2012.

It was premiere 10 years ago too when we had to hire Jim Tressel, a relatively unknown from YSU. The other candidate at the time on Geiger’s radar was Belotti from Oregon. A lot of coaches don’t want to follow a legend or they have a dream of building their premiere program. Look at UCLA post Wooden, Alabama post Coach Bryant etc … Nebraska post Tom Osborne … Callahan then Bo Pelini (an OSU alum).

I think we will end up with a coach that most in Buckeye Nation will shake their head over at first but if he beats Michigan then they will love him.

mellotron
    mellotron
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bman said:
    I agree 100%

I don’t get a warm fuzzy about this guys ethics. He has bolted every place he has went. BGSU … win then bolt Utah … win then bolt Florida … win, chest pains, retire, unretire, struggle season then bolt.

Urban Meyer reminds me of John Calipari from Kentucky, the NBA, Memphis, U MAss .. he seems to always leave before shit hits the fan.

I will pass on Urban Meyer.

I would characterize leaping from BGSU to Utah to Florida as the typical progression of a rising star coach. You can question his ethics, fine, but think you have to look elsewhere for evidence.

No doubt Calipari, Carroll, et al have gotten out of dodge only to leave messes behind. I don’t think you can say that about any ex-Meyer program.

bman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mellotron said:
    I would characterize leaping from BGSU to Utah to Florida as the typical progression of a rising star coach. You can question his ethics, fine, but think you have to look elsewhere for evidence.

No doubt Calipari, Carroll, et al have gotten out of dodge only to leave messes behind. I don’t think you can say that about any ex-Meyer program.

Florida lost 5 games last year and just became bowl elgible yesterday. The Gator program has sunk lower than the Buckeye program.

mellotron
    mellotron
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

UF’s “mess” is a talent / recruiting problem – as is typical with a coaching turnover, no matter the circumstances, and only amplified in ultra-competitive SEC.

USC’s “mess” is from a corrupt coach / program.

You don’t acknowledge a difference?

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I don’t understand the grasping at straws to paint Urban Meyer as a dirty coach, when it’s clearly not the case.

Campbell
    Login to Send PM

So what if he moved around, he doesn’t owe anything to anyone other than himself when it comes to his career. He gets wins, and OSU desperately needs someone like him right now (i.e. a winning coach who doesn’t look lost). But anything would be an improvement to Ray Finkle…..or is it Luke Fickell? Either way, Urban Meyer would be a huge leap forward, as long as you don’t mind a guy who will most likely die on the job.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Campbell said:
    So what if he moved around, he doesn’t owe anything to anyone other than himself when it comes to his career. He gets wins, and OSU desperately needs someone like him right now (i.e. a winning coach who doesn’t look lost). But anything would be an improvement to Ray Finkle…..or is it Luke Fickell? Either way, Urban Meyer would be a huge leap forward, as long as you don’t mind a guy who will most likely die on the job.

Ross Heart is just around the corner…

bman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Campbell said:

I think the only pain Urban Meyer was feeling when he retired the first time was the thought of his team sucking for years. He lost 5 games his last year and they just became bowl elgible this year. The pain must have gotten worse after that 5 loss season when he threw the towel in. With a google search you will read the Orlando Sun Times (I think that is the name) where they lamblast him as basically a coward who left when things were looking bleak. I have to respectfully disagree with you folks who think that is what we need here at Ohio State. I don’t think a quiter or a runner is what we need. We need someone who bleeds scarlet and gray and will stand with us through thick and thin years.

Just my opinion which I know is not well respected here! LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 186 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?