Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

Smoking Ban - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Smoking Ban – News & Updates

This topic contains 214 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Oak 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 216 total)
  • Author

bman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Thank God Exile is doing well … congrats Rob! lol

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Alright, I should have said “Not every bar is full of people drinking cans of Budweiser like they were in the ’80s.”

bastardsuperstar
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

GCrites80s said:
    Most likely, bars raised the price of drinks to make up for the lost volume.

none of the bars i’ve worked in or any of the bars my friends pour at had ANY kind of price increase due to the smoking ban. that’s simply ridiculous. at the time when it first came about, every bar in ohio was terrified that they were gonna be losing money, so jacking up the prices is the LAST thing anyone would have wanted to be seen doing. no-one would have wanted to give ANYONE another reason to not come out.

and truthfully, there wasn’t THAT much lost volume that wasn’t almost immediately regained. i don’t know of a single bar inside of 270 that didn’t level right back off soon after the ban went into effect. even neighborhood shitholes with post-work blue-collar crowd. any loss of income is far more related to the downturn in the overall economy than the smoking ban. if you went to danceclubs to dance, you still do, if you went to venues to see bands, you still do, and if you went to the corner hole-in-the-wall to pound a few on the way home so you can avoid the wife and kids a little longer, you still do. not being able to light up didn’t change the need for any of the reasons people frequent bars . . .

cbus11
    cbus11
    Login to Send PM

It was pretty much an equal and across the board mitigator. I guess if there would be any change it would be in bars bordering other ring communities that do not have the ban. I think Grandview may still allow smoking?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

cbus11 said:
    It was pretty much an equal and across the board mitigator. I guess if there would be any change it would be in bars bordering other ring communities that do not have the ban. I think Grandview may still allow smoking?

No, we have a statewide ban. Columbus enacted one prior, but the Ohio ban followed pretty quickly after that.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

bastardsuperstar said:
    none of the bars i’ve worked in or any of the bars my friends pour at had ANY kind of price increase due to the smoking ban. that’s simply ridiculous. at the time when it first came about, every bar in ohio was terrified that they were gonna be losing money, so jacking up the prices is the LAST thing anyone would have wanted to be seen doing. no-one would have wanted to give ANYONE another reason to not come out.

and truthfully, there wasn’t THAT much lost volume that wasn’t almost immediately regained. i don’t know of a single bar inside of 270 that didn’t level right back off soon after the ban went into effect. even neighborhood shitholes with post-work blue-collar crowd. any loss of income is far more related to the downturn in the overall economy than the smoking ban. if you went to danceclubs to dance, you still do, if you went to venues to see bands, you still do, and if you went to the corner hole-in-the-wall to pound a few on the way home so you can avoid the wife and kids a little longer, you still do. not being able to light up didn’t change the need for any of the reasons people frequent bars . . .

Not sure the owners of those neighborhood shitholes would agree with you. The ones I’ve been in are just letting regulars smoke and hoping they don’t get caught.

bman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

somertimeoh said:
    Not sure the owners of those neighborhood shitholes would agree with you. The ones I’ve been in are just letting regulars smoke and hoping they don’t get caught.

I for one hope they do get caught though … and fined!

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

bman said:
    I for one hope they do get caught though … and fined!

Of course you would.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Columbus Bar Challenges Smoking Ban Before Supreme Court

October 20, 2011
    by Karen Kasler
    Statehouse Bureau Chief, Ohio Public Radio and Television

The state’s four year old ban on smoking in most indoor places came before the Ohio Supreme Court yesterday, framed as a case pitting the rights of private property owners against a popular public health crusade.

The owner of the Columbus bar called Zeno’s has $33,000 in fines from 10 citations for violations of the state’s smoking ban. The bar claims the ban is unconstitutional. Maurice Thompson from the 1851 Center for Constitutional Law agrees, and said the court has a clear question to answer.

READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2011/10/20/columbus-bar-challenges-smoking-ban-before-supreme-court/

sirlancelot
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Okay, I do not smoke. Banning smoking in bars has never made sense to me because, so far, we do not criminalise the adult use of tobacco. If I wish to avoid inhaling cigarette smoke, in a public place, I stay away or seek employment elsewhere. The health hazards cited to justify a public smoking ban logically clould extend to people with the flu or failure to hand wash. Where does it stop?

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

At smoking. It’s a completely reasonable, civil thing to ask people to keep their addiction’s side effects from harming others. Your liberty ends when your actions start harming your neighbor.

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

sirlancelot said:
    Okay, I do not smoke. Banning smoking in bars has never made sense to me because, so far, we do not criminalise the adult use of tobacco. If I wish to avoid inhaling cigarette smoke, in a public place, I stay away or seek employment elsewhere. The health hazards cited to justify a public smoking ban logically clould extend to people with the flu or failure to hand wash. Where does it stop?

Next thing you know, they’ll be stealing our women too!!

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

joev said:
    At smoking. It’s a completely reasonable, civil thing to ask people to keep their addiction’s side effects from harming others. Your liberty ends when your actions start harming your neighbor.

Of course, as a bar owner, an argument could be made that they should be able to allow a legal activity in their bar…because its their bar. They could hire only smokers to avoid any issues of employees being exposed, make it clear it a smoking establishment so that non-smokers can make the decision not to be a patron, and the problem is solved.

The part I’ve never understood, if so many people are opposed to smoking in bars, why wasn’t there this booming market for non-smoking bars before the ban?

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:

The part I’ve never understood, if so many people are opposed to smoking in bars, why wasn’t there this booming market for non-smoking bars before the ban?

I’d compare it to wondering why there wasn’t a booming market for unadulterated food or child labor free coal in the 19th century. It’s not like there wasn’t a market it’s that as a business person why would you be the first one to pioneer it if doing so might very well put you out of business as you give everyone else a competitive advantage. A regulation like the smoking ban puts all businesses on a level playing field in the interest of public health. I’d say that the polls indicated that there is a market for non-smoking bars just like legislation indicated there was a market for safe food a hundred years ago. Then and now it was just too risky for business owners to do it business by business.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rory said:
    I’d compare it to wondering why there wasn’t a booming market for unadulterated food or child labor free coal in the 19th century.

Why go back so far? I’d say its closer to what’s happening today, with some companies choosing considerably higher production costs to avoid outsourcing to child labor or producing organic, free range, etc. etc. food at a higher cost because there is a market for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 216 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?