Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Too Fat To Be Executed?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Too Fat To Be Executed?

This topic contains 76 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 1 year, 7 months ago.

Tagged

fat

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

2. Yes. Capital punishment is very, very satisfying.

How would it feel if you rejoiced in the execution of a man later deemed innocent?

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    How would it feel if you rejoiced in the execution of a man later deemed innocent?

Eh, I’d probably do what everyone else does.

Ignore it and move on.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:

Ignore it and move on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db8FQJTjsmo

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:

What if he admitted to doing it? What if he was truly guilty?

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

rus said:

Ignore it and move on.

I don’t think that’s what everyone else does.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ricospaz said:

How many innocent people are you OK with executing in order to be sure you get the guilty ones?

There was a confession in the West Memphis Three case. Should we have executed Damian Echols?

ETA: Virtually every other civilized country in the world has decided that the government killing convicted criminals is either wrong on principle or carries too much risk or killing the innocent. I’m not sure why the US should be so late to that game.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:

Cute, but misses the point. You’ve defined “civilization” to consist of a set of values you like.

Sparta had a civilization; key to that was infanticide of undesirable babies, homosexuality was encouraged and ritualized murder was part of attaining adulthood. I presume you’d disagree with implementing those traits today, but that doesn’t mean they weren’t a civilization.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Strange that you’d include encouraging homosexuality on the list of ritualized murder and infanticide.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ricospaz said:

On the truly guilty part, DNA evidence has been used to free a number of people previously thought “truly guilty”:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/In_250th_DNA_Exoneration_Nationwide_New_York_Man_Is_Proven_Innocent_33_Years_After_Wrongful_Conviction_for_Rape.php

Forensic science itself sometimes looks less than scientific:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/forensics/4325774

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

…if you want to talk about the Innocence Project, how about skipping one case and addressing the TEN cases just in Ohio that were exonerated.

http://www.innocenceproject.org/news/state.php?state=oh

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    Strange that you’d include encouraging homosexuality on the list of ritualized murder and infanticide.

In Sparta’s case they thought it built up esprit de corps, making each other more willing to fight and die for each other.

Have to say it was effective given what we know of the Spartans.

If you think that means somehow I said that homosexuality is morally the same as murder you’re misreading me.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    …if you want to talk about the Innocence Project, how about skipping one case and addressing the TEN cases just in Ohio that were exonerated.

http://www.innocenceproject.org/news/state.php?state=oh

Sure, good examples.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:

If you think that means somehow I said that homosexuality is morally the same as murder you’re misreading me.

Was probably just the sentence structure:

“infanticide of undesirable babies, homosexuality was encouraged and ritualized murder was part of attaining adulthood.”

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What I meant is that the person says they are guilty and they are? I’m amazed at people who just don’t get this.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    Was probably just the sentence structure:

“infanticide of undesirable babies, homosexuality was encouraged and ritualized murder was part of attaining adulthood.”

Hmm. Maybe? Point was Sparta was a very different civilization than what we know today, yet still a civilization.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?