Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Timken Site Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Timken Site Redevelopment – News & Updates

This topic contains 77 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    cbus11
    cbus11
    Login to Send PM

It will be interesting to see what eventually gets built. I think there is an opportunity for new retail (even if it is big box) to draw outsiders into this neighborhood which seems fairly forgotten despite its close proximity to OSU, downtown and several main transportation arteries.

labi
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

cbus11 said:
    I think there is an opportunity for new retail (even if it is big box) to draw outsiders into this neighborhood which seems fairly forgotten despite its close proximity to OSU, downtown and several main transportation arteries.

I go up and down Cleveland Avenue between 5th and downtown a lot and see it as a huge, currently overlooked opportunity.

I’d also really like to see 5th Avenue become less of an armpit – although I don’t think this particular development will have that much impact west of the RR tracks. I hope I’m wrong.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Agreed. For anyone who works Downtown and travels up 71 to get home from work, this is “on the way home” if you travel up Cleveland, shop, then hop on 71 at 5th. Currently, there’s just no reason to go that way. I think it wouldn’t be too hard to capture some of that traffic if the tenant mix is something along the lines of the Lennox Town Center.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

I was checking somethings out in Weinland Park and headed over here to see what this development was about. It is freakin’ huge. I hope they put some kind of retail and not a ‘flex warehouse’ here. The nieghborhood is definitely the worse for wear, but it really is not too far from Wagenbrenner’s new stuff on Grant.

I would love to see this turn into a Lennox east or even throw Walmart in. With gas prices going up I think more people would rather head over to Timken than drive to Bethel or Rome-Hilliard Rd. I think it would add jobs and growth to this somewhat forgotten area so close to a lot of things.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I know the Milo-Grogan neighborhood needs jobs, but at the same time I’m really hoping the developer takes into consideration a good, walkable, aesthetically pleasing site plan rather than throwing up a few strip centers (which is probably what’s going to happen anyway)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

+1 to jpizzow. I wouldn’t mind the same type of retail mix as the Lennox Town Center, but the configuration should definitely not be of the same “strip mall” variety.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

Ideally it would be more like Grandview Yard, but I assume that has a fairly high budget.

YoderMan
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’v heard that Wal-Mart is defintely coming to the site, I usually avoid them like the plague; but his site and this area has been crying out for retail/grocery for decades. I hope this spurs the tearing down and redeveloping of the largely abandoned properties on the east and south side streets, as well as the coated fabrics site.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

YoderMan said:
    I hope this spurs the tearing down and redeveloping of the largely abandoned properties on the east and south side streets, as well as the coated fabrics site.

The Columbus Coated Fabrics site is already well on its way.

I would be interested to hear where you are getting your info about the Walmart. I too think it would be good for that area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

YoderMan said:
    I’v heard that Wal-Mart is defintely coming to the site…

Source?

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

It strikes me a little odd to have Walmart so close to downtown but that is a lot of vacant land and there sure are a lot of people fairly close by. I think many people would funnel up from the KLD, the Discovery District and the western section of Old Towne East. It would also make a nice destination for the Cleveland Ave BRT.

I wonder if it will be a Super Center with a grocery?

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

the fact that this news was paired with ‘hope they tear down the coated fabrics site’ makes me question the currency/accuracy of the poster’s info. I will say though, that sounds as likely a scenario as any. it’s probably going to take someone with walmart sized pockets to make it go. but that site is big enough to hold a walmart AND something else.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I heard it from my girlfriend. She lives in Canada, you probably don’t know her. Her cousin works for a wal-mart, and he told her they were gonna build one there.

I think it would be great. If they can build one on Main St, and one in Westerville, I don’t see why the heart of the city, just off freeway access, wouldn’t be a good fit.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I hope the city makes them pay for a rehab of 5th avenue.

cbus11
    cbus11
    Login to Send PM

It makes a much better location for a Walmart than the Kaplin Landfill site on Dublin Rd. If they build it, it will probably have a grocery, though we have been getting more and more of those.

Regardless, Wagenbrenner has not even started site cleanup of the Timken property. It will take some time.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?