Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

The Wood Companies Short North Apartment Building - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Wood Companies Short North Apartment Building – News & Updates

This topic contains 108 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by ilovethiscity ilovethiscity 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    zp945
    zp945
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I get your point walker, but they are almost a full year behind schedule.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I didn’t recall seeing a completion date originally announced, so I wasn’t sure what the timeline of the project was. Digging up an old BizFirst article says they wanted to break ground Nov 2010 and complete by Fall 2011.

So they’re six months behind right now, and a full year if they complete construction by this Fall (which is what I most recently heard as the target).

I can see where that would be pretty annoying for the businesses underneath who’s livelihood depends on this construction wrapping as quickly as possible.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Another photo, a month later. Looks like some minor exterior changes… from here:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-july-2012

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Scaffolding on the High St facade is being removed. I like the “Wood Co” spelled out in brick at the top.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Pablo said:
    Scaffolding on the High St facade is being removed. I like the “Wood Co” spelled out in brick at the top.

Yeah, it looks good. Very fitting to the neighborhood!

goldenidea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The masonry work is exceptional on that now-exposed south half of the building. They did a really fine job of replicating an early 1900′s flat-roof multistory. As they were building it over the past year or so, I wondered why they didn’t put windows or balconies on the south-facing wall, as the views from that side would be very nice. Now that the scaffolding is down and you can see the whole south half of the building it appears they chose to mimic the typical historic design which has blank sidewalls… no balconies or windows. While the apartment residents miss out on southern views, from the street it looks very appropriate and very nice. The name on the building makes is a fitting tribute to Sandy Wood… someone who’s done a lot over the decades for the Short North and for High Street.

Off topic, another project apparently popped up on High Street yesterday. Havana is gone, a new bar is being built inside, and a new window is going into that storefront. I chatted breifly with the construction crew/owners. They told me what the new name for the in-coming bar will be but I’ll hold off posting it. It’s a good name and, like the new Wood Co. building, it’s very appropriate.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I hope a nice mural goes on that large wall at some point in the future. That’d be a nice project for some students at CCAD.

Very excited as this building approaches completion. I’m sure Z Pizza and Northstar are thrilled that the scaffolding is coming down, too. :)

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

goldenidea said:
    The masonry work is exceptional on that now-exposed south half of the building. They did a really fine job of replicating an early 1900′s flat-roof multistory. As they were building it over the past year or so, I wondered why they didn’t put windows or balconies on the south-facing wall, as the views from that side would be very nice. Now that the scaffolding is down and you can see the whole south half of the building it appears they chose to mimic the typical historic design which has blank sidewalls… no balconies or windows. While the apartment residents miss out on southern views, from the street it looks very appropriate and very nice. The name on the building makes is a fitting tribute to Sandy Wood… someone who’s done a lot over the decades for the Short North and for High Street.

Off topic, another project apparently popped up on High Street yesterday. Havana is gone, a new bar is being built inside, and a new window is going into that storefront. I chatted breifly with the construction crew/owners. They told me what the new name for the in-coming bar will be but I’ll hold off posting it. It’s a good name and, like the new Wood Co. building, it’s very appropriate.

Pic of the work being done on the old Havana space:

https://twitter.com/myurbanhood/status/241174933399552000/photo/1/large

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pic of the new building with the scaffolding down:

https://twitter.com/myurbanhood/status/246935835746906112/photo/1/large

CMHflyer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

surber17 said:
    Pic of the new building with the scaffolding down:

https://twitter.com/myurbanhood/status/246935835746906112/photo/1/large

Wow, fantastic work!

gramarye
    gramarye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Definitely looks to have been done right, at least on the outside.

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Have they posted floorplans/rents yet?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, looks very nice! :D

zachgs
    Login to Send PM

surber17 said:
    Have they posted floorplans/rents yet?

There’s nothing on the Wood Companies website yet but then again it hasn’t been updated since March.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?