Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

The Wexner Medical Center at The Ohio State University

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Wexner Medical Center at The Ohio State University

This topic contains 37 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Press Release:

OHIO STATE ANNOUNCES THE NAMING OF THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER IN HONOR OF LESLIE H. WEXNER

The Ohio State University Medical Center is being renamed today, in honor of one of the university’s most committed leaders and benefactors, Leslie H. Wexner (’59). The Ohio State University Board of Trustees unanimously voted this morning in favor of the name change – affirming that Wexner Medical Center at The Ohio State University is a fitting tribute for Mr. Wexner’s three decades of visionary leadership and service.

“Les has been among Ohio State’s most dedicated leaders and most passionate supporters for many decades, and someone who continues to make an indelible impact on our community,” said President E. Gordon Gee. “His generous contributions, both in time and resources, have been wholly transformational, but his most valuable gift has been his extraordinary leadership. He has a firm and unequivocal vision for our academic Medical Center, and that is to be a world-class institution, period.”

Gee added that the new naming “recognizes the critical work the Wexners have undertaken to ensure The Ohio State University Medical Center is able to solve some of medicine’s most persistent challenges and change lives for the better.”

Mr. Wexner’s philanthropic connection to Ohio State began three years after he graduated, when he made a $5 donation to the university. For more than 30 years, Mr. Wexner and his affiliates have donated more than $200 million to the university, as well as hundreds of millions more that Mr. Wexner has directly helped to raise. Last year, Mr. Wexner, his wife Abigail, and the Limited Brands Foundation’s $100 million gift to the medical center, the James Cancer Hospital and the Wexner Center for the Arts was the largest single donation in Ohio State’s history.

Mr. Wexner has led Ohio State during significant times of progress. He has served 16 years on the Board of Trustees. As the current board chair, Mr. Wexner helped to guide the $1 billion expansion of the medical center, the largest undertaking in the university’s history and one that will revolutionize the way cancer prevention and care is provided.

As a founding member and the first chair of The Ohio State University Foundation Board, and later as a member of the University Campaign Steering Committee, Mr. Wexner became a driving force behind the growth of the university’s endowment, which now totals more than $2 billion.

Mr. Wexner and his family also have been closely involved with many of the signature programs connected with the medical center. They chair the James Fund for Life Campaign and have contributed significantly to the Stress, Trauma and Resilience Program. Mrs. Wexner currently serves on the medical center’s Board of Directors. The Wexners have been lead supporters of Pelotonia, one of the most successful research fundraisers in the nation. In its first three years, this annual bike tour has raised more than $25 million for cancer research at The Ohio State University James Comprehensive Cancer Center – James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute.

“I have often said that but for The Ohio State University, I would not have had an opportunity to receive a college degree,” Mr. Wexner said. “Attending this university changed my life, and I continue to witness the incredible potential this institution has to do the same thing for others. The Ohio State University Medical Center is one of the finest academic medical centers in the country. I have every confidence that the complex medical challenges confronting us today will be solved at The Ohio State University through the collaboration among researchers and scientists from a broad spectrum of specialties.”

Dr. Steven G. Gabbe, CEO of Wexner Medical Center, added that The Ohio State University has a vision. “It is one in which Wexner Medical Center at The Ohio State University is synonymous with life-changing, personalized health care, based on the unique needs of each patient. This institution has been shaped by the vision and commitment of Mr. and Mrs. Wexner and is proud to carry their name.”

mrsgeedeck
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I can only image how much/intensive this re-branding effort will cost.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

mrsgeedeck said:
    I can only image how much/intensive this re-branding effort will cost.

Yeah! Maybe Wexner should cough up some money to help pay for the rebranding!

oh, wait… ;)

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

man, what a bunch of non-profits could do with just 1% of that donation….

TodSpengo
    Login to Send PM

Utterly risible. Neither his misspent contribution nor the new name will lower the cost of care, or improve patient outcomes.

jazzypants
    jazzypants
    Login to Send PM

my first reaction upon seeing this on Facebook was ‘is today April fools day? Oh, that Walker! I love those fake news stories!’

CMH2579
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The university is rebranding for the fall so the cost will be minimal due to the name change. Though the last time the Med Center re-brandedI believe it cost $2.5 Million.

misskitty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If you donate that much to a place, I can understand them renaming a building or something after you. 100 Million Is a shit ton of money so the cost of rebranding is really minimal compared to that.

Asch
    Login to Send PM

So annoying.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

TodSpengo said:
    Utterly risible. Neither his misspent contribution nor the new name will lower the cost of care, or improve patient outcomes.

Yes, it is a teaching hospital, and on occasion you might not receive a lot of individual attention from M.D.’s but I’m not sure about the overall basis for your complaint. Others would seem to agree.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

CMH2579 said:
    The university is rebranding for the fall so the cost will be minimal due to the name change. Though the last time the Med Center re-brandedI believe it cost $2.5 Million.

Forgot about the Switch to Semesters change. As someone working in a building that recently changed its name I’m familiar with the enormity of this process on a much, much smaller scale. Imagining it on a small city (OSU scale) gives me a headache.

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m waiting for OSU to change its name to Wexner University…

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pablo said:

wexners are just slowly boxing in the oval. once they’ve got it surrounded, total domination is inevitable.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

———-
    The Ohio State University
    Dr. Gordon Gee – University Wide Email
    Wexner Medical Center Naming

I am delighted to share some truly momentous news. Today, The Ohio State University Board of Trustees unanimously voted to name our academic medical center in honor of alumnus Leslie H. Wexner (’59). His strategic vision and clarity of purpose have been instrumental in realizing many of the University’s great advancements – and nowhere more so than at what is now known as the Wexner Medical Center at The Ohio State University. This naming is honorific in nature, commemorating Mr. Wexner’s indelible, lifelong legacy of leadership at Ohio State.

For more than three decades, Mr. Wexner has been one of the University’s most committed leaders and ardent supporters. His generous contributions, both in time and resources, have been wholly transformational, but his most valuable gift has been his remarkable leadership.

Les Wexner has served 16 years on our Board of Trustees. As Board chair, he helped to guide the $1 billion expansion of the medical center, the largest undertaking in the University’s history, and one that will revolutionize the way cancer prevention and health care are provided. The Wexner family has been closely involved with many of the signature programs connected with the medical center. They chair the James Fund for Life Campaign and have contributed significantly to the Stress, Trauma and Resilience Program. Abigail Wexner currently serves on the medical center’s Board of Directors. And they have been lead supporters of Pelotonia, one of the most successful cancer-research fundraisers in the nation.

Mr. Wexner’s impact is truly realized across the breadth of Ohio State. He was instrumental in establishing one of the great cultural gems on this campus and in the country, the Wexner Center for the Arts, named in honor of his father. He also helped to form the Fisher College of Business and ensure its place as one of the premier business schools in the country.

To our immense good fortune, Les Wexner has a singular and unequivocal vision for our medical center – and that is to be a world-class institution. One that relentlessly pursues the best medical techniques, treatments, and cures to improve the lives of patients and their families. I have every confidence that his leadership and clear purpose will continue to advance our work in important and enduring ways.

Sincerely,

E. Gordon Gee
    President
    ———-

jeffisbiking
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pablo said:

That’s what I was thinking. How much more to make it THE Wexner University at Ohio State? I can’t wait to cheer for the Fightin’ Leslies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?