Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

"The War Against Suburbia"

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics “The War Against Suburbia”

This topic contains 170 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Andrew Hall Andrew Hall 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall
    Login to Send PM

Really interesting piece on “New Geography” about Obama/Democratic urbanist tendencies vs suburban political leanings.

http://www.newgeography.com/content/001364-the-war-against-suburbia

A.

Tenzo
    Login to Send PM

Interesting article.

I’m not sure Obama has spent any time in the ‘burbs. Not a cause for concern.
    He grew up in Chicago, in the city and is more likely to share views with me on cities and ‘burbs. (That scary~!)

agtw31
    agtw31
    Login to Send PM

excellent article,debunks a lot of bullshit out there.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Have we had a recent administration ever take a balanced approach to urban and suburban policy? It seems to skew, extremely, to one side or the other.

mbeaumont
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tenzo wrote >>
    Interesting article.
    I’m not sure Obama has spent any time in the ‘burbs. Not a cause for concern.
    He grew up in Chicago, in the city and is more likely to share views with me on cities and ‘burbs. (That scary~!)

Actually, Obama grew up in Hawaii and Indonesia. He didn’t move to Chicago until the mid 80s when he started his work as a community organizer.

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The guy makes some interesting points, but the idea that Scott Brown was a rebuke of environmental policies that the Obama administration is pushing is a really long stretch.

The reason Scott Brown won is because Coakley fucking stunk up that election to high heaven. And even then he only beat her by 5 points.

I’ll grant that more needs to be done to integrate suburbs into the urban core through development and transit options that work for everyone involved, but lets decouple the Brown victory as an indictment of current environmental policy.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Really interesting piece on “New Geography” about Obama/Democratic urbanist tendencies vs suburban political leanings.
    http://www.newgeography.com/content/001364-the-war-against-suburbia
    A.

Meh, it’s written by a “professional trend gadfly” who simply cherry-picks his facts (when he didn’t mischaracterize them) and numbers (as professional gadflys often do, regardless of their ideological leanings). He includes just enough “data” references to fool the average layman on the subject, unless they’re well-read or just plain suspicious.

I’m not even clear why he goes to the length he does in the article, except maybe that he’s shooting for a new book subject. “War against suburbia” isn’t a bad meme to sell publishers on after all…

pedex
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

suburbs won’t need any help self destructing, they’ll do it on their own and that process has already begun despite gargantuan efforts by the govt to slow it down or stop it

agtw31
    agtw31
    Login to Send PM

pedex wrote >>
    suburbs won’t need any help self destructing, they’ll do it on their own and that process has already begun despite gargantuan efforts by the govt to slow it down or stop it

yeah,i see a lot of suburbs turning neighborhoods into outdoor shopping centers,then build Arenas that aren’t needed,and rent to shitty hockey teams.

the sky is falling.

Brant
    Login to Send PM

agtw31 wrote >>
    the sky is falling.

Your head’s in the sand.

And round and round we go…

agtw31
    agtw31
    Login to Send PM

i just go by what i see.

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The war against suburbia? Yeah, the suburbs are under attack the same way white men and christian values are. Oh, and Christmas, never forget the war on christmas.

I kind of pity the people who fall for this stuff.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DavidF wrote >>
    The war against suburbia? Yeah, the suburbs are under attack the same way white men and christian values are. Oh, and Christmas, never forget the war on christmas.
    I kind of pity the people who fall for this stuff.

From TFA:

The anti-suburban impulse is nothing new. Suburbs have rarely been popular among academics, planners, and the punditry. The suburbanite displeased “the professional planner and the intellectual defender of cosmopolitan culture,” noted sociologist Herbert Gans. The 1960s counterculture expanded this critique, viewing suburbia as one of many “tasteless travesties of mass society,” along with fast and processed food, plastics, and large cars. Suburban life represented the opposite of the cosmopolitan urban scene; one critic termed it “vulgaria.”

Liberals also castigated suburbs as the racist spawn of “white flight.” But more recently, environmental causes—particularly greenhouse gas emissions as well as dire warning about the prospects for “peak oil”—now drive much of the argument against suburbanization.

The housing crash that began in 2007 added grist to the contention that the age of suburban growth has come to an end. To be sure, the early phases of the subprime mortgage bust were heavily concentrated in newer developments in the outer fringes. In part due to rising home prices, a disproportionate number of new buyers were forced to resort to sub-prime and other unconventional mortgages.

The outer suburban distress attracted much media attention and delighted many who had long detested suburbs. One leading new urbanist, Chris Leinberger, actually described suburban sprawl as “the root cause of the financial crisis.” Leinberger and other critics have described suburbia as the home of the nation’s future “slums.” The favorite images have included McMansions being taken over by impoverished gang-bangers and other undesirables once associated with the now pristine inner city.

Others portray future suburbs as serving at best as backwaters in a society dominated by urbanites. In contrast to a brave new era for “the gospel of urbanism,” the suburbs are expected to contract and even wither away. According to planner Arthur C. Nelson’s estimate, by 2025 the United States will have a “likely surplus of 22 million large lot homes”—that is, residences on more than one sixth of an acre.

That doesn’t seem fabricated to me.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

To each their own. I could care less where someone lives. Just don’t get too critical on the expenditure of an “urban” project when government subsidies have largely been responsible for creating the suburbs we have today.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    To each their own. I could care less where someone lives. Just don’t get too critical on the expenditure of an “urban” project when government subsidies have largely been responsible for creating the suburbs we have today.

+1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?