Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Moonlight Market on Gay Street - 2013 Season

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals The Moonlight Market on Gay Street – 2013 Season

This topic contains 178 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via FB from Robert Mason Co:

Introducing… Hester

Our newest top quality leather bag, to debut in Columbus during Moonlight Market. Our pop-up store is open ’til midnight tonight!

A must see, Made in Ohio!

get inspired…for the Holidays!
    Some gifts last forever.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via FB from Bake Me Happy:

Come see us at the Columbus Moonlight Market from 6pm – 11pm on Gay St. We will have all these delicious treats – and a special treat for the market – gluten free snack cakes (aka ding dongs)!!!! Gluten free has never been this good!

geoyui
    Participant

are the restaurants on Gay pretty packed during moonlight market?

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

They usually do pretty good business, you should definitely go check it out!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Starting to really pick up nicely. ;) Beautiful weather for it tonight!

geoyui
    Participant

Went to the moonlight market for the first time. Had a good time!

We had dinner at Plantain cafe, and the place was packed. Plantain only had 1 server, who was running around crazy just trying to keep up. We asked do they usually have only 1 waitress on a saturday night, especially when Moonlight Market was going on. She said last time Moonlight Market was going on, they had 2 waitresses and only 4 tables the whole night. I just found that really odd.

Any chance for food trucks? Or would that cause issues with the restaurants? (I know, weird to ask after my story about Plantain cafe)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Awesome! Glad you had a good time!

The October MM was a bit on the slower side. We only had around 20 vendors, competed with Italian Fest, and was hosting our first “extension” market past the original September season end. So it was slow.

I’m happy to hear Plantain Cafe was busy last night. The entire purpose of the Moonlight Market (which is run by the Gay Street Collaborative business association for the street) is to give incentive to our brick and mortar businesses to stay open late and give Columbus residents another reason to come Downtown on a Saturday night. Typically, many retail businesses are closed and the street is kinda dead. So I was thrilled to see so many people out last night. ;) The weather was perfect!

So, food trucks have been not been a part of the Moonlight Market for a couple of reasons. One is because we’ve got a lot of restaurants on Gay Street, and we want to highlight them and have them do well. rather have Plantain Cafe a little too busy than have 10 food trucks outside for them to compete with and have them do low-to-mediocre business. We very intentionally plan our sidewalk vendors and entertainment to compliment what we already have on Gay Street rather than compete with it, and between Sugardaddy’s, Zen Cha, J Gumbo’s, 39 Below, Tip Top, Due Amici, Plantain Cafe, Cafe Napolitana, Latitude 41, Rendezvous Cafe, Ringside Cafe and even Mitchell’s Steakhouse… we’ve got a lot of good food options in the area. We hope to get more food options through the inclusion of Brioso, Arepazo, Phatt Taco, Si Senor and other nearby spots that don’t currently stay open for the Moonlight Market.

Also, nothing against food trucks… but they are e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. There’s a food-truck-centric event pretty much every weekend in Columbus, and 3 times a week in the summer. It wouldn’t really be a unique draw for the Moonlight Market, and we’re looking for ways to be unique. ;)

Thanks for the feedback though! We’re still considering ourselves in the “experimental” phase with this first season and are planning to grow and evolve and change things up for next year. ;) The more feedback the better!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you that have organized and kept pushing the Market’s growth. It is a wonderful and growing part of the community.

geoyui
    Participant

Thanks for the response Walker. A lot of what you said makes sense, just was curious if 2 or 3 trucks would round out the food offerings (some of my friends were looking for a more immediate meal rather than sit down and eat). But I completely understand promoting the gay street businesses.

And it worked, we had dinner at Plantain, tea at Zencha, dessert at Sugardaddy’s and almost bought a laptop bag at Robert Mason.

One other thing, since nighttime comes earlier, it was hard to see the colors of clothing items. Certain items gets muted under the street lights. We were looking at ties at the Sofyano’s booth, but it was hard to tell the real colors of the clothing items and so we just took a card.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

geoyui said:
    Thanks for the response Walker. A lot of what you said makes sense, just was curious if 2 or 3 trucks would round out the food offerings (some of my friends were looking for a more immediate meal rather than sit down and eat). But I completely understand promoting the gay street businesses.

And it worked, we had dinner at Plantain, tea at Zencha, dessert at Sugardaddy’s and almost bought a laptop bag at Robert Mason.

One other thing, since nighttime comes earlier, it was hard to see the colors of clothing items. Certain items gets muted under the street lights. We were looking at ties at the Sofyano’s booth, but it was hard to tell the real colors of the clothing items and so we just took a card.

Thanks for the feedback!

I do agree that 1 or 2 or 3 trucks are probably fine if they’re the right types with food that isn’t offered already on the street. We had the Jeni’s truck this time as our first food truck, which we cleared as ok with Carolyn at 39 Below Fro Yo first to make sure she was ok with it. I’ll have to talk to her about how the market went for her, but they seemed to keep busy despite the competition. Adding more trucks isn’t something we’re completely opposed to, but just very cautious about. We’re placing the priorities of our dedicated and invested brick and mortars first and foremost for this event series.

And I totally agree with you on lighting! Access to electricity is limited to only a few spots on the street since some businesses are closed and have no external electric outlets. We encourage all street vendors to bring ample battery-powered lighting, and I actually bought some small battery powered LED lights at Goodale Hardware Pro to resell at cost to vendors to help give some of them a boost. The guys at the Columbus Barrel Company actually brought a car battery to connect their lights to, which was pretty ingenious IMHO. ;) We’ll continue to get creative with it and see how we can keep the nighttime ambiance but light up the products and wares.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

And now, some of my shoddy low-light photography from the night! ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We’re now accepting vendors for Dec 14 and we’re half full already! Get your application turned in if you’d like to take part!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Coming up this Saturday! We’re moving the sidewalk vendors indoors at the Residence Inn Hotel and our Gay Street businesses will continue to be open late!

Featuring:

Cafe Brioso
    The Flying Gent Mercantile
    Sugardaddy’s
    Rober Mason
    Zen Cha
    ZeroZ
    J. Gumbo’s
    39 Below Fro Yo
    Tip Top Kitchen & Cocktails
    Due Amici
    The Peanut Shoppe
    Cafe Napoletana
    Alternative Fashion Mob
    Lily’s Mini Delights
    Kifle
    Columbus Barrel Co
    Columbus Creative Cooperative
    Soaps and Suds
    Windy Lane Alpacas
    Breakfast With Nick
    The Boutique Truck
    Hutchie’s Munchie’s
    Boline Apothecary
    The Bexley Chocolatier
    Sky’s Java
    Toys for Tots
    Kids Fly Too
    Tastefully Dirty
    The Look Boutique
    The Olive and The Grape
    Gaming Nomads
    Lemmon Apparel
    Two Grandmother’s Gourmet Kitchen
    Access Point Tech LLC
    Ghetto Vintage
    Sweet Stella
    Hive and Honey BEEpothecary
    Candle with a Cause
    Hammered & Corked
    Snowville Creamery
    soHza LTD
    Wexner Center for the Arts
    8 Little Monkeys
    3RBags
    Near East Side Co-Op
    Perryns Naturals
    Capital Roots Clothing
    Car2Go Columbus
    Green Handle Designs

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It might be a little cold, and it might get a little dark early, but we’ll have luminaries out to help light the way! ;)

News
    Participant

Moonlight Market to Bring Holiday Retail Downtown This Saturday
    Local Events, Upcoming Events — By Susan Post
    December 12, 2013 at 8:00 am

It may be a short holiday shopping season, but one event is bringing local vendors together for some last-minute holiday shopping. Shoppers can head downtown to Gay Street for the December Holiday Moonlight Market this Saturday, December 14th. Gay Street stays hopping late with the typically outdoor market that last from 6:00 to 11:00pm.

READ MORE: http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/moonlight-market-to-bring-holiday-retail-downtown/

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 179 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.