Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Moonlight Market on Gay Street - 2013 Season

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals The Moonlight Market on Gay Street – 2013 Season

This topic contains 178 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

A new monthly event series taking place every Second Saturday of the month is kicking off on Saturday, April 13th!

The Moonlight Market on Gay Street is an outdoor sidewalk bazaar-style event featuring 40+ local and regional vendors selling wares late into the night. Many of the existing Gay Street businesses will stay open late for special hours as well, as the event runs from 6pm to 11pm at night.

More information on participating vendors will be announced in the coming weeks along with entertainment and other surprises.

Save the date! This is going to be fun!

More info online at http://www.moonlightmarketcolumbus.com

RhondaH

Sounds like the Grandview Hop! That is pretty fun. Are there areas near Gay where the meters are off after 6pm?

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Long St east of Pearl goes off at 4pm I think.

Hi Rhonda

The “parking & location” section on the website http://www.moonlightmarketcolumbus.com is in the process of adding as much detailed info about parking as possible, including when meters go off, how much parking costs, etc.

ChadM
    Participant

Like Jay mentioned, check out the parking & location section of the website. More details are coming, but we recently worked out a deal for the garage at 4th and Elm (between Telhio and the Neighborhood Launch condos) — after 6pm Friday during the entire weekend, it’ll be $1/hour. We’re working on a few more deals like this, so stay tuned.

In the meantime, please help spread the word and let folks know they can apply online to become a vendor — http://www.moonlightmarketcolumbus.com

leftovers

Sounds like fun, will there be food trucks or a food truck section?

buckette13

Food trucks would be neat! Maybe make a deal with the lot at High & Gay? Foodfort could probably set you up.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There will be some food vendors, but probably very few (if any) actual food trucks. There is a plethora of great restaurants on/near Gay Street that will be staying open late for this event (some of which will be selling from their patios in a pop-up fashion) so there will be plenty of food options and variety. ;)

billbix

The Grandview one is pretty popular. I am sure this will do fine. Late night hours seem to be a good hook with this one. Slightly confused but is this 7pm to Midnight (the Moonlight Market poster) or 6pm to 11pm (Walker’s post)? Midnight sounds *a lot* cooler as long as you get all the places to commit to stay open. There is something edgy about closing at midnight.

I also think having a similar event where the North Market stays open late into the evening would be a big hit. Parking is a little harder to come by in the Arena District on a weekend night though.

RhondaH

Thanks Jay and Chad! That info is greatly appreciated.

I also hope this is in full swing until Midnight! That is the part that caught my attention in the flyer. I have this in my calendar and I will be mentioning it to my friends.

thecandlelab
    Participant

This is a great concept and we are definitely going to apply to be a vendor.

One bit of unsolicited advice I would pass along. We have helped organize The Grandview Hop for the past five years, and the event is advertised as being from 5 to 9pm, because that’s how late the businesses and outdoor vendors stay open. The restaurants and bars on Grandview Avenue love it, because everyone heads into one of their establishments at 9pm to create a late night rush they might not normally get. Its hard to imagine our team staying in a tent until midnight, so possibly the vendors and stores would close a little earlier and move the party into the restaurants. Just something to consider for the future.

But for now – we’re turning our application in today!

mrpoppinzs

The Candle Lab brings up a good point. I also think the late midnight hours are what makes this different than the many hops and festivals during the warmer months. It is a teaser for the day when downtown in general will be staying open late. One thing that I have found frustrating in other events that I have gone to is when vendors or participants close shop early leaving the event to slowly peter out over the course of the evening. It would really be disappointing to be there at 11pm and just find the usual suspects on Gay St open. Getting the participants to commit to the late night hours is the hard part, but also key to success imho. This isn’t the ‘Gay St Evening Market’.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thanks for the input and feedback everyone. The midnight hour is something we discussed a lot at planning meetings and we’re still continuing to figure out. Our thought was similar to what Candle Lab expressed… sidewalk vendors will probably be more interested in closing up a little earlier than midnight while some of the area bars and restaurants will remain open until 2am. We were trying to find that balance and decided upon declaring 11pm as the end time though everyone is encouraged to stick around later than that.

We’ll continue to review and we’re excited to see how the first one goes. If it’s well supported and people want to stay until midnight, then we may change the official hours. So come out and vote with your feet! ;)

Also – Good to hear Candle Lab is applying! Called and left you a message the other day prior to announcement as you’re one of the folks we’d love to see there!

thecandlelab
    Participant

@walker – got the message and we were applying even before you called! I think the reinvention of Gay Street is one of the real success stories of downtown and we’d love to be down there full time if we didn’t already have four stores. I think your plan about the closing time makes sense, because even though the restaurants & bars benefit with a rush when the event ends, they don’t like that our marketing materials say it ends at 9pm in case people stay away from coming down later.

We’re excited to see how the first one goes!

bucki12

Having all the vendors stay until 11pm seems like a decent compromise, though 12pm seems better. I am with the others that keeping it in full swing until a certain advertised hour with vendors staying open until then is important. It stinks when vendors close early or at their whim.

Hopefully this will eventually be open until Midnight and not an earlier bedtime. That would have swagger. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.