Our City Online

Messageboard - Film

The Hobbit

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Film The Hobbit

This topic contains 77 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

I saw it at 48 frames. It didn’t bother me, but it didn’t impress me either. I wouldn’t pay more for it.

I liked the Hobbit. It is more of the same (LOTR), but well done.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I saw it on 2d at rave. I enjoyed it. It goes pretty fast for a 3 hour movie.

Roland
    Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I liked the movie and thought the HFR 3D was pretty impressive. The length of the movie didn’t bother me and once the movies momentum picks up, it carries through to the end. Fortunately, I didn’t have to pee. And that’s what Bilbo Baggins hates!

Overall tone of the movie was more cartoon-like and fun than Lord of the Rings, but that’s how I remember the Hobbit as being.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

So I figured my 7 year old nephew was old enough to possibly enjoy this now, and thought I’d try out the first Lord of the Rings movie when I took him over the weekend. The good news was, he loved it and the 3 hour length wasn’t an issue at all. The bad news was, little bit of nightmares relating to orcs.

I think it was a pass though, so plan on taking him to see this with him this coming weekend.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    So I figured my 7 year old nephew was old enough to possibly enjoy this now, and thought I’d try out the first Lord of the Rings movie when I took him over the weekend. The good news was, he loved it and the 3 hour length wasn’t an issue at all. The bad news was, little bit of nightmares relating to orcs.

I think it was a pass though, so plan on taking him to see this with him this coming weekend.

Orcs. Why did it have to be orcs?

BreakfastwithNick
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I agree with Roland, vestanpance, and leftovers here. I really enjoyed The Hobbit. Good action sequences, some funny moments, some interesting development of the dwarves (I really liked Balin). I think Martin Freeman was spot-on, and I loved having more of Ian McKellen (Gandalf the Gray is so much more interesting than Gandalf the White). But I enjoyed it more when thinking of it as a prequel to LotR rather than just The Hobbit. Or thinking of it as The Silmarillion + The Hobbit. I wonder if it’s better to think of it as Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit.

I’m really not interested in the HFR 3D. I saw it in 2D at Studio 35 and it looked and sounded gorgeous. It felt a little long to me, and I’m a little concerned about stretching it into three movies, but I really enjoyed revisiting that world again. Felt like seeing old friends.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Went to see the film with Mae tonight. We went to the 3d HFR version at Lennox. I thought there was a 9 minute preview of the next TREK film with the HFR version; maybe I got my news wrong.

Anyways, as we were leaving, we decided to do some grocery shopping. We got into the car and I asked Mae, “Where to now? Giant Eagle?” I have known Mae over 23 years. I have never seen her laugh so hard.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 said:“Where to now? Giant Eagle?”

*snort*!

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Anyone fluent in Russian?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m0l3Yr1B50

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Did they pay royalties for this production? Or did they dispense with the idea of paying the estate of the writer as another archaic idea of a corrupt, capitalist regime?

I know a friend who speaks Russian. I will have her look at this.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Rockmastermike said:
    *snort*!

I was not trying to make a joke either. I did not realize the connection until Mae was laughing so hard I thought she was going to pass out.

Jman4ever
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 said:
    Went to see the film with Mae tonight. We went to the 3d HFR version at Lennox. I thought there was a 9 minute preview of the next TREK film with the HFR version; maybe I got my news wrong.

Anyways, as we were leaving, we decided to do some grocery shopping. We got into the car and I asked Mae, “Where to now? Giant Eagle?” I have known Mae over 23 years. I have never seen her laugh so hard.

My bet is that the 9 minutes of Trek was a limited opening weekend type spiel.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Took the nephew to see it, was really impressed and enjoyed it thoroughly. At 7, he didn’t so much as squirm for the entire film length, so that says something right there.

First time seeing a 3D movie…not sure I’m a fan.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    First time seeing a 3D movie…not sure I’m a fan.

how were you able to avoid it up to this point?

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    how were you able to avoid it up to this point?

Piracy and watching stuff at home :D

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?