Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

The Frozen Yogurt Craze

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The Frozen Yogurt Craze

This topic contains 48 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  pspock 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

pspock
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

In the comments of Walker’s article about new Columbus restaurants in 2012, we had a discussion about all the new frozen yogurt shops. I thought it would be an interesting thread topic, so here goes…

In 2008 Columbus had ZERO dedicated frozen yogurt stores.

In 2009, Red Mango opened (total: 1, new in 2009: 1).

In 2010, Menchies, Yagoot, Cuzzins and Orange Leaf each opened a store (total: 5, new in 2010: 4).

In 2011, Orange Leaf opened 3 new locations, Spoon Me and Josie’s opened 2 new locations each, and Groovy Spoon, Matcha, CherryBerry, Coldstone and Cuzzins each opened 1 new location (total: 17, new in 2011: 12).

In 2012, Cuzzins opened 2 new locations, Yogeez, 39 Below Fro Yo, Coolie Yo, Oh Yo Fro Yo, Sweet Berry, Mochi, Yogopolis, Yaourt, Menchie’s, Sweet Frog, and Bad Frog each opened 1 new location, while Rad Mango closed (total 29, new in 2012: 13, lost in 2012: 1).

There are 9 new locations coming soon according to these brands.

What is your take on all this growth of frozen yogurt stores?

I can only imagine the impact this explosiion of frozen yogurt stores is having on existing frozen dessert places, like Jeni’s Ice Cream, Graeters, Dairy Queen, Cold Stone Creamery, UDF, etc, etc… There has got to be a saturation point, as people can’t possibly be eating that much frozen yogurt unless they are replacing their ice cream consumption for it.

Thoughts?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Thoughts?

It’s like the mid 90′s all over again.

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

Self serve yogurt places are a fad within a fad. These stores don’t need much staff. The only labor needed to keep a self-serve fro-yo joint going is the restocking of the yogurt machines and toppings, and the weighing and ringing up of orders.

Basically, they are very easy for an entrepreneur too open without much culinary skill or experience. I imagine a lot of these will fail.

M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Less cream. More candy. For the obese a deadlier form of denial.

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

I saw a woman ring up an $8 cup downtown. When you are making it yourself, portion control is easy to underestimate with a lot of people. It also feeds into the business model. I don’t think DQ has an $8 sundae and I imagine Wilford Brimley is glad for that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    It’s like the mid 90′s all over again.

Except for the one missing brand…

buckette13
    Login to Send PM

Idk, I love Orange Leaf. Can’t see this being that big of a problem.

arualpalm
    arualpalm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Since I prefer soft-serve vanilla in a CONE (and when I last checked out Orange Leaf, Cuzzins, and Yagoot, they did not offer cones), I am not a fan. However, I understand the appeal of all the different flavors.

The area is over-saturated with frozen yogurt shops, which don’t differentiate from each other. I don’t see it lasting.

jeffisbiking
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

When I realized that there were 3-4 frozen yogurt places within a few miles of me, I dubbed it the FroYo Bubble. It seems that everyone else feels the same way.

I agree with Bucki12 that these places must not take too much to stay open, and with the crazy pricing by weight, the margins must be good enough to support all these places. It also helps in general that frozen treats like this are still good even if they’re not top quality. Call it the pizza effect for quality.

BrianW
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Like coffee places, FroYo spots seems to be about being a member of the community in order to distinguish yourself from the chains (although I understand TCBY is struggling financialy as well). I’ve been impressed with 39 Below on Gay Street in this way. Long hours, wall space providing opportunities to local artists, locally sourced ingredients, pleasant and engaging owner. I’m hoping others are recognizing what she’s doing and support her.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

+1 BrianW! Every time I visit 39 there is either another Gay St. shop owner in there talking about collaboration or the more obvious signs, such as “Now serving Brioso Coffee” that I noticed yesterday – the whole street seems like a team the way they work together.

pspock
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Go to bizbuysell.com, click on “advanced search”, enter “yogurt” in the “City Name or other Keywords” field, and click “Search Businesses For Sale”.

Over two hunrded of these things are for sale in the country. Some of them even show in their listing as having opened in 2012. Most of them are less than three years old.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I dig frozen yogurt joints. I don’t really care at all that it’s “healthier” than ice cream. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, so when I do want something sweet, I dig the idea of getting exactly what I want made the way I like to eat it. So if I want essentially two bites of 5 different flavors with 4 walnuts and 6 blueberries on it, I can have it. I don’t see a big deal about it. It’s just like there are 80shitzillion coffee shops around every corner, etc etc. If people like it, they’ll stick around. If not, they’ll go under. I do wish though that more of the shops carried more of the tart yogurt flavors because it’s deeeeeeeeelish. :)

buckette13
    Login to Send PM

To further that point, I imagine these are competing as much with the local coffee shop as they are Jeni’s and Dairy Queen. When I go, it is usually with friends as an alternative to hitting up a coffee shop. It provides a similar social experience. It is no surprise that 39 Below is serving Brioso coffee and letting people know it.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?