Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

The Angry Baker

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The Angry Baker

This topic contains 37 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Senator Tankerbell Senator Tankerbell 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

TaraK
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We stopped in the other day hoping to pick up some breads, but all of the menus only listed lunch/pastry food items. There was no indication anywhere that they actually sold “just” bread. We totally should have asked, but they were pretty busy with folks & I didn’t want to be a bother. (Note: This is on me for assuming that they were a straight-up bakery & not reading much about them.)

Granted, the food menu looked AWESOME, as did the case of sweet goodies, so I’d definitely return for lunch. But does anyone have experience buying breads from them? Is there a bread menu anywhere? I checked their website & found no mention.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Angry Baker thriving in Old Towne East
    ECDI Spotlight — By Evelyn Ebert
    July 28, 2011

Vicki Hink honed her cooking talent behind the line of many of Columbus’s most prestigious eateries, always quickly rising through the ranks. While she knew that someday she wanted to open her own restaurant, a vacant storefront spotted on Oak Street in her adopted neighborhood of Olde Towne East had too much potential to ignore.

Gathered at Yellow Brick Pizza with friends last fall, she felt moved to transform the long abandoned space just across the street. The store boasts the strong architectural bones unique to the neighborhood, but the shop needed serious care after ten years unoccupied. With her moody and whimsical aesthetic, Hink rehabilitated the space into the bakery of her dreams.

READ MORE: http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/angry-baker-thriving-towne-east/

I can talk to buffalos
    Login to Send PM

I always crack up when I see these places over there on the eastside. IF you turn the corner the entire block is vacant. I have always been curious about this place though. I need to stop in.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I can talk to buffalos said:
    I always crack up when I see these places over there on the eastside. IF you turn the corner the entire block is vacant. I have always been curious about this place though. I need to stop in.

It’s funny someone’s actually staking a claim and doing some good by bringing in money and jobs to a community?

I can talk to buffalos
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels said:
    It’s funny someone’s actually staking a claim and doing some good by bringing in money and jobs to a community?

What is funny about that?

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I can talk to buffalos said:
    What is funny about that?

He was responding to your remarking about cracking up.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Stopped in on the way back from the Cap City Half Marathon this morning and got a great ham & cheese kolache for less than $3. Really tasty and the perfect food to walk and eat at the same time. ;)

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Nice little right up by The Lantern on the Angry Baker, but not without labelling OTE as “undesirable”.

From the article:

I had to dodge the forward advances of a rather sketchy local, making me a little unnerved from the start of my visit.

My simple advice for any future customers: don’t go alone, lock up your car, but enjoy this more urban version of Northstar Café.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    Nice little right up by The Lantern on the Angry Baker, but not without labelling OTE as “undesirable”.

From the article:

I had to dodge the forward advances of a rather sketchy local, making me a little unnerved from the start of my visit.

My simple advice for any future customers: don’t go alone, lock up your car, but enjoy this more urban version of Northstar Café.

Yeah, I’ve never felt too unsafe right there around 18th & Oak in the past few years, though I can imagine a young student female writer feeling uneasy at the sight of boarded up buildings nearby and being approached by someone on the street.

Though it’s not like that doesn’t happen around OSU… :P

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Yeah, I’ve never felt too unsafe right there around 18th & Oak in the past few years, though I can imagine a young student female writer feeling uneasy at the sight of boarded up buildings nearby and being approached by someone on the street.

I’ve never really felt unsafe as well, but because of their hours, I’m there during the daytime anyways. I think the article failed to recognize how businesses like Angry Baker in OTE are working to make the community better and in a sense, safer for the residents and local business owners.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:

From the article:

Yikes. I have to vote at the Fair Ave school tomorrow and then a haircut at Old Familiar. I hope I don’t get raped!

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    Yikes. I have to vote at the Fair Ave school tomorrow and then a haircut at Old Familiar. I hope I don’t get raped!

if you get attacked, run to the Angry Baker. it’s a no violence zone.

mrmann
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:

Yeah, Some of the areas around OSU can get pretty sketchy themselves at times.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:

In all fairness, 18th and Oak used to be one of the worst corners in the city. The speed with which it’s transforming has astonished me.

FoodFort
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Angry Baker has a great patio in the back, always awesome food and it is interesting to see how the area has changed in the last two years with the growth of Food based Businesses. We are proud of Angry Baker as an ECDI client as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?