Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Text Messaging Scam (Premium SMS)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Text Messaging Scam (Premium SMS)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  2thDoc 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

2thDoc
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This post is to warn the CU community of a text scam that I have been dealing with for the past few days.

On Dec. 23rd I received 3 quick texts from 94408:

1. Brain Cool IQ Pun Facts billed @ $9.99/mo. Msg&Data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help. Enter UR password on the website to continue.9595

2. Welcome to brain cool iq! For help call 18668611106 $9.99/mo for 3msg/wk. Reply help for help Reply Stop to cancel Msg&Data Rates May aply

3. Guess what? The Hydra, which is related to the jellyfish can grow its body back in a couple of days if it is cut in half. For Help call 18668611606

On January 20th. I got another text.

Braincooliq fun facts billed at $9.99/mo will renew on 1-23-2012. Reply help for help reply stop to cancel Msg/Data rates may apply. 1866–for help.

My immediate response was STOP.

Three days later, the 23rd I received another 2 quick texts.

1. Guess what? The reason why flamingos are pink is because they eat shrimp which have a red pigment. For help call 1866–

2. Brain Cool IQ: Fun facts has billed @ $9.99/mo. Reply help for help, reply stop to cancel. Msg/Data rates may apply.

I lost it and replied:

Quit F*&#ing texting me. STOP.

They responded that I in fact, had already subscribed.

I went to pay my Verizon bill and found out that I had been charged the additional $9.99. I went to a retail store and tried to have the charge removed and the rep said that he couldn’t, but he took my phone and blocked further premium SMS texts from getting to my phone.

I called verizon customer service twice and had the charge(s) removed because I “disputed” them.

It disturbs me that this is completely legal for companies to subscribe you to a “service” without your knowledge/permission and then your phone/data company (who I would assume takes a cut for processing and collecting the fee) tells you there is nothing they can do about it.

What I’ve learned from my conversations with Verizon reps is that there is really no way to prove that you didn’t sign up for these “services” and that I could have entered my phone number somewhere online that I didn’t read the fine print. Bull.

I was billed on Dec. 23rd–the day of the first three texts. Then again on Jan. 23rd, the day I received the second “fun fact” about flamingos.

Sorry about the rant, but 10 bucks a month for something I didn’t sign up for is a tough pill to swallow.

Block all Premium SMS (Verizon customers through MY Verizon)

Reply STOP immediately. I didn’t because I figured that any acknowledgement of the unwanted texts would opt me in. They will likely still text you and charge you, but maybe you can get Verizon to credit your money back.

Anidem
    Login to Send PM

This whole thing gets my goat. Last year, we started getting spam premium number texts. At the time, we were paying per text because we didn’t text much. I got Verizon to remove the charges and they put a block on premium texts. Also, apparently, the Do Not Call list doesn’t apply to texts on a cell. Then we started getting nine digit number spam texts. Verizon removed those charges and advised me to reply STOP. Like you, I was afraid that I’d get bombarded with texts because they would find they got a live one. Sure enough, we were spammed more and more until we just cancelled our text service for quite few months per Verizon’s advice in order for the spammers to stop. We don’t give out our cell numbers to places either. A couple months ago we reinstated our text service and not too long after that, we started getting spam texts again. I’ve talked to others and they don’t get these texts and I still don’t know how they are getting ours. I am still suspicious it’s all computer-generated, looking for a hit. We still have the premium texts blocked but can’t do anything about the nine digit numbers. Lately, I’ve also gotten actual calls a few times, I answered one, unfortunately, didn’t catch the different area code, and it was the “This is Rachel from cardholder’s service…” recording. Since then, I’ve noticed different area codes calling me and I don’t answer anymore. Again, my number is on the Do Not Call but this might be computer generated. “Rachel” calls my home phone occasionally, too, and that has been going on for a while. Just can’t believe she’s now calling my cell. I hate to say it, but I really feel there needs to be more legislation which includes cell phone calls and texts. I did make my complaints to the Do Not Call and they advised me to contact my representative, which I did but there is not much action going on with this issue. At any rate, I’ll have to check our bill in case of added on “services” without our knowledge from third parties. Thanks for the heads up.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

these endless spam texts are one of the reasons I blocked sms entirely to my phone. I don’t need that kind of hassle.

artzymorena
    artzymorena
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

After reading this thread (which reminded me of a few texts)…I saw I was billed for $9.99. Ughghghgh. They got me too.

GW_Justice
    GW_Justice
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This article is a little old, but seems good.

How to Block Cellphone Spam[/url]

bman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

2thDoc said:
    This post is to warn the CU community of a text scam that I have been dealing with for the past few days.

On Dec. 23rd I received 3 quick texts from 94408:

1. Brain Cool IQ Pun Facts billed @ $9.99/mo. Msg&Data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help. Enter UR password on the website to continue.9595

2. Welcome to brain cool iq! For help call 18668611106 $9.99/mo for 3msg/wk. Reply help for help Reply Stop to cancel Msg&Data Rates May aply

3. Guess what? The Hydra, which is related to the jellyfish can grow its body back in a couple of days if it is cut in half. For Help call 18668611606

On January 20th. I got another text.

Braincooliq fun facts billed at $9.99/mo will renew on 1-23-2012. Reply help for help reply stop to cancel Msg/Data rates may apply. 1866–for help.

My immediate response was STOP.

Three days later, the 23rd I received another 2 quick texts.

1. Guess what? The reason why flamingos are pink is because they eat shrimp which have a red pigment. For help call 1866–

2. Brain Cool IQ: Fun facts has billed @ $9.99/mo. Reply help for help, reply stop to cancel. Msg/Data rates may apply.

I lost it and replied:

Quit F*&#ing texting me. STOP.

They responded that I in fact, had already subscribed.

I went to pay my Verizon bill and found out that I had been charged the additional $9.99. I went to a retail store and tried to have the charge removed and the rep said that he couldn’t, but he took my phone and blocked further premium SMS texts from getting to my phone.

I called verizon customer service twice and had the charge(s) removed because I “disputed” them.

It disturbs me that this is completely legal for companies to subscribe you to a “service” without your knowledge/permission and then your phone/data company (who I would assume takes a cut for processing and collecting the fee) tells you there is nothing they can do about it.

What I’ve learned from my conversations with Verizon reps is that there is really no way to prove that you didn’t sign up for these “services” and that I could have entered my phone number somewhere online that I didn’t read the fine print. Bull.

I was billed on Dec. 23rd–the day of the first three texts. Then again on Jan. 23rd, the day I received the second “fun fact” about flamingos.

Sorry about the rant, but 10 bucks a month for something I didn’t sign up for is a tough pill to swallow.

Block all Premium SMS (Verizon customers through MY Verizon)

Reply STOP immediately. I didn’t because I figured that any acknowledgement of the unwanted texts would opt me in. They will likely still text you and charge you, but maybe you can get Verizon to credit your money back.

2th, make sure you went to a company owned store with your problem not just a premium retailer. Company owned stores will make more of an effort to resolve your issue and make you right.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?