Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Tell me about your CSA!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tell me about your CSA!

This topic contains 26 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by yurtgirl yurtgirl 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    yurtgirl
    yurtgirl
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I want to get input on other people’s experience with their CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). I used New Century from Pickaway County last year and was happy with their goods and service but their season was short and didnt’ include many fall veggies and I’m always looking for others input on their CSAs.

So let me know who you used and how it went.

byJody
    byJody
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Hey I’ve stayed in that yurt! ;) Fun times indeed!

Local Matters[/url] has a great list of local CSAs.

CSA Directory

There is also a link at the end to add any that aren’t listed.

lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think Wayward Seed has one of the best CSAs out there. They’re generous with their portions, they have a great variety of things, and their fruit CSA is great too.

Elizabeth Telling is also great – she tends to sell some more esoteric things.

As far as fall veggies, I can’t believe you weren’t swimming in them! They are so hearty and plentiful!

lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

edited for accidental double post

CheeseFoodie
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

+1 to Wayward Seed, they’re great!

shroud
    shroud
    Login to Send PM

We’ve had a CSA through Bird’s Haven Farms for the past couple years. Haven’t tried any others, so I can’t speak much for comparison, but we’ve been really happy with them.

They’ve got what seems like a long season, which means a lot of greens the first few weeks, but after you get past that, I think they’ve got a really good mix of stuff. Some of my favorites each year have been their beets, tomatoes, kholrabi, and corn.

AnneD
    AnneD
    Login to Send PM

We’ve had the Wayward Seed fruit CSA for 2 years and the vegetable CSA for one, and we signed up for both again next year. I still have root veggies, even though our last pickup was in November! Very consistent with greens and root veggies and herbs, and in general a good variety of food with lots of heirlooms. They are great folks with a great vision of sustainable farming, and we’re thrilled to be able to support them (and get lots of wonderful food in return!)

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

Are there any single people on here that do this? I’d be willing to go weekly on the veggies if anyone else had any experience with the size of the single deliveries. Otherwise I think I’m going to do weekly fruit and bo-weekly veggies.

Thanks to the OP. I wanted to do this last year and missed it and almost missed it again!

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Are there any single people on here that do this? I’d be willing to go weekly on the veggies if anyone else had any experience with the size of the single deliveries. Otherwise I think I’m going to do weekly fruit and bo-weekly veggies.
    Thanks to the OP. I wanted to do this last year and missed it and almost missed it again!

i’m very interested to hear about this as well. my wife and i are considering joining a CSA this year, though as it’s just the two of us, we’re wondering if it would be more economical to just do the weekly produce shopping?

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

somertimeoh wrote >>

I signed up for the bi-weekly single person veggie share from Wayward Seed. I’m still debating getting fruit too. This is my first year with a CSA, and I’m really looking forward to it.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, I think that’s the best way to go to start out. I’m struggling with the cooking thing so I bet LEW still ends up with a crap load of “what the hell do I do with this?” veggies anyway :)

duncanfj
    duncanfj
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jarsloth wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

i’m very interested to hear about this as well. my wife and i are considering joining a CSA this year, though as it’s just the two of us, we’re wondering if it would be more economical to just do the weekly produce shopping?

It depends on how much produce you buy in a week. If you’re buying a bag of salad and a couple of tomatoes, probably not. We did the two person share from Wayward Seed last year, which is $550 for 25 weeks ($22 a week). During the peak growing season, our kitchen counter tops were overflowing with heirloom vegetables and more common varietals. So if you actually use a lot of produce, it is very economical. We should have done a winter CSA this year. We will not make the same mistake next year. The website byJody posted, Local Matters is a great resource for finding CSAs in your area.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Yeah, I think that’s the best way to go to start out. I’m struggling with the cooking thing so I bet LEW still ends up with a crap load of “what the hell do I do with this?” veggies anyway :)

Wooooot! I am a veggie eating machine!!!!!!

Maybe if you get a CSA, I’ll get you a copy of Veganomicon. You can find a way to cook any veggie out there with that puppy.

spookygoddess78
    spookygoddess78
    Login to Send PM

I always think about getting a CSA. The problem is that there always seems to be specific produce that I like from specific farmers and I like being able to have that choice and variety via the farmers’ markets. But, I can’t help but think that a CSA might be more economical. It’s a tough decision. Also, as an FYI, when I’ve inquired about the fruit CSA from Wayward in the past, it was explained to me that the fruit is not from their farm, but comes from 2 other farms that do use pesticides on their fruits – in case that’s important to any of you interested in the fruit CSA.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

duncanfj wrote >>

jarsloth wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

It depends on how much produce you buy in a week. If you’re buying a bag of salad and a couple of tomatoes, probably not. We did the two person share from Wayward Seed last year, which is $550 for 25 weeks ($22 a week). During the peak growing season, our kitchen counter tops were overflowing with heirloom vegetables and more common varietals. So if you actually use a lot of produce, it is very economical. We should have done a winter CSA this year. We will not make the same mistake next year. The website byJody posted, Local Matters is a great resource for finding CSAs in your area.

thanks – that does help. right now we don’t eat a lot of produce, but we’ve been wanting to eat more and hoping that joining a CSA would force us to do so. we just didn’t want to become overwhelmed with uneaten produce and have to either give it away on a weekly basis or, worse, have it rot in our fridge.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?