Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Graffiti Crackdown in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Graffiti Crackdown in Columbus

This topic contains 503 replies, has 94 voices, and was last updated by Snarf Snarf 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

That reminds me. I need to go to the store today. I’m almost out of troll food.

ToddAnders
    ToddAnders
    Blocked
    Login to Send PM

I drive a nicer car than you?

Is this the grown up equivalent of you smell?

Hey breezy, maybe you could show your real commitment of the graffiti arts and have your car covered in this wonderful expression? Not a bad thought, huh?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

beezy wrote >> while you try to think of something to say that you hope will make me feel stupid or inferior..

naw, you’re doing a great job of it on your own.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

beezy wrote >>
    These discussions always amuse me for one particular reason above all others: if you hate graffiti SO MUCH, then why aren’t you out there painting over it?! There really is no excuse. Its not difficult, and (despite what the city may report) it isn’t expensive either! If it makes you that mad, then why not do something about it? That is, other than bitching about it on the internet. Case and point, within the time period that will elapse whilst you ponder upon a (hopefully) clever response about why you can’t do it, OR while you try to think of something to say that you hope will make me feel stupid or inferior, YOU COULD HAVE BUFFED 10 TAGS THAT ALL TOOK 5 SECONDS OR LESS TO PAINT! the more you know…

Newsflash: In spite of the willingness of others to commit crimes, most people aren’t interested in doing so. As it has been mentioned before, painting on someone else’s property, even with good intentions, is illegal. It’s not so simple as a couple cans of Kilz – especially not when the small-minded-asshole in question has painted on raw brick. The chemical that has to be used to get paint off raw brick is in the neighborhood of $200 a GALLON. Even if you have the bank for that investment (on property that you don’t own, because petty wanna-bes need to remind themselves of their own names), you need to come up with a power washer, a waterline to hook into… Oh right AND TIME. You act like people that don’t do something are inviting the crime – which is some of the simplest reasoning I’ve ever heard of. Come the fuck on.

Often, with these properties, we’ve found they aren’t locally owned – or that the owners simply don’t care. So getting permission to even do all of the above is a trick.

melikecheese
    melikecheese
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Sounds more 17 then 12. Comments of a 12 year old with the angst of a 17 year old GRRRR.

TO point out an example of just how terrible all this crap looks, take a look at the White Castle on North High in Clintonville. Good job artists, that abandon building looks great now!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

beezy wrote >>
    if you hate graffiti SO MUCH, then why aren’t you out there painting over it?! There really is no excuse.

beezy wrote >>
    I am not a fan of gang graffiti, bathroom graffiti, hate-crime graffiti, graffiti on peoples houses, graffiti on churches, wheatpastes, stencils, stickers, or graffiti that looks like shit whether because of a lack of skill by the painter or because the painter was scared of getting caught but finished the tag anyways. I’m not a fan of graduating class year graffiti, redneck graffiti, or any graffiti that represents or portrays (to me) american ignorance.

If you truly don’t like any of that stuff that you just mentioned, why aren’t you out there removing it? There really is no excuse.

cyclist II
    cyclist II
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m pretty sure rockmastermike is smarter than most people. He’s a geologist. Also thanks for your list of what tags you don’t support.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

beezy wrote >>
    Alright “rockmastermike” tell me, if your intellect dwarfs mine to the point that you would acuse me of being an adolescent, then why is it that YOU have trouble forming proper sentences? If I’m 12, then why is it that people are asking what I think, and ignoring your worthless commentary?

*snicker*

If you don’t appreciate good puns there’s no help for you.

mightymighty
    mightymighty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I just found & read this crazy thread…

Chris I’m sorry about what happened. I agree that a ‘open graphiti’ wall would solve nothing. Besides there are plenty of venues where street artists can legally express themselves if they were willing to use them.

With regards to the images that beezy posted.
    yeah, I’ve seen the exact same style of tags, done way better, since the 80′s. That’s supposed to be the tagger’s names or whatever right? yeah… nobody cares outside of your little tagger community, and nobody will remember them (except in the irritation in removing them).

It’s my observation that the people who like to vandalize often complain how there’s nothing to do in this city. Just show’s their lack of imagination, same as their tags.

Paul
    Paul
    Login to Send PM

beezy wrote >>
    … “Paul” from Vancouver, you posted “who thinks this stuff up?” In reference to graffiti, ummmmmm…….its been around since the late 60′s, where the hell have you been? Watch style wars.

Hey. “Paul” here. Sorry for the confusion. I wasn’t talking about graffiti itself, I was talking about the idea of people who do graffiti necessarily being ‘tough’. A few comments to that effect on this thread have made me laugh out loud because it’s so comical.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

beezy wrote >>
    if you hate graffiti SO MUCH, then why aren’t you out there painting over it?! There really is no excuse.

beezy wrote >>
    I am not a fan of gang graffiti, bathroom graffiti, hate-crime graffiti, graffiti on peoples houses, graffiti on churches, wheatpastes, stencils, stickers, or graffiti that looks like shit whether because of a lack of skill by the painter or because the painter was scared of getting caught but finished the tag anyways. I’m not a fan of graduating class year graffiti, redneck graffiti, or any graffiti that represents or portrays (to me) american ignorance.

If you truly don’t like any of that stuff that you just mentioned, why aren’t you out there removing it? There really is no excuse.

I’ve been following this thread for some time now. One thing that has been curious to me is the beezy post, beezy post consistency. It seems possible that two people are using this same account. Just an observation.

beezy
    Login to Send PM

No sir, I am not two people, nor are there two people posting from this account to my knowledge. To answer your question walker, I am not out buffing the graffiti that I am not a fan of because I am not the one complaining about it. I may not be a fan of it, but it does not bother ME enough to want to paint over it or complain about it. Twixlen, I don’t feel as if my post inferred that the people who aren’t doing anything about graffiti were inviting it, the general tone of this thread is far from “inviting.” While painting on someones building is a crime, graffiti or not, I can’t say that I’ve ever heard of anyone getting into any kind of trouble for painting over graffiti, I could be wrong, but I’ve never heard of it. I also doubt that the ownership of a building would be brought up if the police witnessed someone painting over graffiti, once again I could be wrong, but I’m assuming police hate graffiti too. When it comes to unfinished brick I can definately understand how it would be harder to clean off and more costly. Let me ask you which you would rather see, the graffiti or a larger discolored square of paint? Personally I would rather see the graffiti, but as snarf was kind enough to point out, I am stupid and inferior because I have a different opinion on the subject from everyone else. Rockmastermike, I did understand your pun about the nuts and butter and jam, very clever. Fortunately getting into such a “jam” is not something I would have to worry about, considering that I do not paint graffiti.

beezy
    Login to Send PM

melikecheese wrote >>
    Sounds more 17 then 12. Comments of a 12 year old with the angst of a 17 year old GRRRR.
    TO point out an example of just how terrible all this crap looks, take a look at the White Castle on North High in Clintonville. Good job artists, that abandon building looks great now!

I’m not understanding how you are getting “angst” out of my comments, I am just stating my opinion on the subject.

beezy
    Login to Send PM

mightymighty wrote >>
    I just found & read this crazy thread…
    Chris I’m sorry about what happened. I agree that a ‘open graphiti’ wall would solve nothing. Besides there are plenty of venues where street artists can legally express themselves if they were willing to use them.
    With regards to the images that beezy posted.
    yeah, I’ve seen the exact same style of tags, done way better, since the 80′s. That’s supposed to be the tagger’s names or whatever right? yeah… nobody cares outside of your little tagger community, and nobody will remember them (except in the irritation in removing them).
    It’s my observation that the people who like to vandalize often complain how there’s nothing to do in this city. Just show’s their lack of imagination, same as their tags.

No, if you’re talking about columbus ohio you are definately mistaken. People did not start painting good pieces here until the early to mid 90′s. Its funny that you say nobody cares, just take a look around the country. There are more and more businesses requesting that people paint legal graffiti on their buildings every day in cities like chicago and los angeles. Just recently an aquaintence of mine was asked to paint his “little tag or whatever” at a store in easton mall. Yeah…nobody cares yet it continues to gain popularity, weird.

misskitty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

People did not start painting good pieces here until the early to mid 90′s. Its funny that you say nobody cares, just take a look around the country. There are more and more businesses requesting that people paint legal graffiti on their buildings every day in cities like chicago and los angeles

Yes this is true and people do request it but they request something that is ascetically pleasing not scribblings of a high schooler.
    There is a huge difference between the two. I would not care half as much if this shit actually looked good.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 504 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?