Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Super Mario Brothers Wall Mural at CCAD

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Super Mario Brothers Wall Mural at CCAD

This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There’s an outdoor wall at CCAD that will feature a different student-painted mural every month. For September, it’s Super Mario Brothers themed… and it is awesome. Get over there and get your photos taken with it before it’s gone!

anillo
    Participant

I’ve definitely put this on my to-do list for sept. gotta get me a new profile picture =P
    Also, adorable pictures.

Tigertree

Why paint over it, aren’t there enough walls in the area? Make downtown a mural gallery.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>
    Why paint over it, aren’t there enough walls in the area? Make downtown a mural gallery.

Sorry, but my hometown’s already claimed that distinguished honor. ;)

http://www.touring-ohio.com/northeast/steubenville/steubenville.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Tigertree wrote >>

I trust that you’ll get in touch with the various building owners to secure their permission to do so? ;)

I’ve love to see more stuff like this… but for now I’m going to enjoy this one while it’s up rather than bemoan the lack of more. ;)

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I would like it to stay permanently too!

Tigertree

@walker, 1. Why would you think that I wouldn’t do that? 2. I am not just bemoaning the lack of more, I am reading your post that more are expected and don’t understand the logic of painting over something cool instead of finding other space, which I don’t think would be that difficult. 3. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If you’re going to help do that, then great. I’d love to see more. :D

In the meantime: Hey guys, go check out this cool thing! ;)

This mural looks sweet. Anyone know what streets it faces? Is it facing Grant or Gay?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It’s in between buildings where there is a pedestrian walkway. Between Gay & Long. Facing Gay. In back of the old dorm building.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Three more photos of some of the details:

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

I’d love to play this version of the game. ;-)

Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

This made NBC4i and Boing Boing too!

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/sep/02/3/ccad-students-create-interactive-mural-ar-219754/

Mario mural

Great stuff! (Thanks to Mike Brown, who sent me the Boing Boing link!).

AmyJ
    Participant

Awesome! My son is going to freak out. (as it looks like yours did as well!)

The CCAD Mural Wall is run by the Student Government at the school. We offer the mural wall up for students to use for a month as long as they abide by the code of conduct for the wall and submit a sketch beforehand.

I wanted there to be a Mural up and ready to help promote several things for this school year:

A. Our Student Government (which is still trying to gather awareness, though, this mural is definitely helping.)

B. Our offer of the mural wall to students (Submissions aren’t as stacked as you would think, our student body is very busy with our workload. This hardly leaves time for painting large outdoor murals in the middle of the semester.)

C. Our “Town-hall” meeting which will be this coming November, where students can come to an open forum to discuss ideas pertaining to improving and shaping a healthy and great college experience.

I wanted to have this mural done before the new freshman arrived at the beginning of the month. I put my Fine Arts representative, Ken Aschliman and President-Elect Chavilah Bennett in charge of formulating a design and painting (they had lots of volunteer help as well.)

They came up with a sketch and I approved it, thinking it was a great interactive idea, I never thought it would be as awesome as it turned out to be.

It’s great that it is getting so much buzz on the internet, hopefully it creates just as much buzz on our campus.

Unfortunately, it will be taken down by the next mural, but that is the nature of this mural wall. There have been dozens of previous beautiful murals in the same spot, but this one has gotten the most attention thus far. Our hope is that it will raise the bar for the other artists. Each mural is well-documented and my hope is to use the photos from each one and display them in our end of the year Student Show on Campus.

D.E. Merz III (President of the CCAD Student Government)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.