Our City Online

Messageboard - Film

Star Wars Episode VII

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Film Star Wars Episode VII

This topic contains 114 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Coy Coy 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
  • Author

bastardsuperstar
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Bummer, I was really pulling for a slightly lessor known who’d be more about making an awesome star wars movie, rather than making “jj abrams’ star wars movie” or “christopher nolan’s star wars movie” or Peter Jackson et al. . .

It also means we probably won’t get a third abrams star trek film, which is an even bigger bummer. I didn’t think I’d care at all about a star trek reboot, and jj nailed it perfectly.

Ah well, at least it still leaves the door open to what i REALLY wanna see out of the next trilogy: the “middle” movie (ep.8) directed by Guillermo del Toro. Combine the fantastical of Hellboy2 with the darkness and bleak ending of Empire Strikes Back and I can’t imagine a better modern star wars sequel.

Now, all that being said, as long as he can keep his lens flare filter under control, he’ll probably make a damn fun movie . . .

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’d feel better about it if I hadn’t watched Revolution this past year…

bastardsuperstar
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, but c’mon, how awesome was Giancarlo Esposito in that shit?

Besides, being “the guy behind bringing you a network tv show” and “directing a blockbuster” is apples and oranges on the same man.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

True, and when I look at just his directing credits I’m reminded how good Super 8 was, and I did love the Star Trek reboot.

bayrea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I approve. I think if you can set aside all of the “lensflare” in some of his movies he is one of the best up and coming directors. Reminds me of Speilberg a bit..

bastardsuperstar
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Oh man, somebody call arndt or abrams, just had a stroke of genius moment:

As a call-back to one of Lucas’s favorite (and everyone else’s LEAST fav) tropes of the prequels, that EVERYONE has to be the father of someone you already know, have Esposito as the son of mace windu, disillusioned after his father’s betrayal, as a new breed of Sith. Maybe redeem him, maybe not, but after revolution, I’d much rather see “Gus” with a light saber than his fencing sword . . .

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Nice…here’s one, if we’re doing Thrawn, and it sounds like it might be…let’s continue Benedict Cumberbatch’s run as villains. He’d be an excellent Thrawn, IMO.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JJ Adams. Oh well. Maybe his style will work better for Star Wars than it worked for Star Trek. Granted, there are people who really loved his reboot of Star Trek. I liked the eye candy but I felt he had the characters wrong and the science was as embarrassing as Third Season Classic Trek.

I loved Bruce Greenwood’s take on Captain Pike. The sad thing is that HIS character is what Kirk SHOULD have been like. Instead, Kirk acted like a selfish teenager. No way would I trust him to command the finest ship in the fleet.

Granted, he will not be forced to use anyone else’s characters or situations. On the other hand, this becomes possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJ-y6BWfUc

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Imagine what is going to happen with all that lens flare when you have light sabers swinging about?

Patch
    Patch
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 said:
    …the science was as embarrassing as Third Season Classic Trek…

HAHAHA! OMG, reading this just made my whole day.

Thank you!

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 said:
    Imagine what is going to happen with all that lens flare when you have light sabers swinging about?

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 said:
    JJ Adams. Oh well. Maybe his style will work better for Star Wars than it worked for Star Trek. Granted, there are people who really loved his reboot of Star Trek. I liked the eye candy but I felt he had the characters wrong and the science was as embarrassing as Third Season Classic Trek.

I loved Bruce Greenwood’s take on Captain Pike. The sad thing is that HIS character is what Kirk SHOULD have been like. Instead, Kirk acted like a selfish teenager. No way would I trust him to command the finest ship in the fleet.

Granted, he will not be forced to use anyone else’s characters or situations. On the other hand, this becomes possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJ-y6BWfUc

When Star Trek started the cast was already a well oiled machine of people with deep relationships and trust in each others abilities. The reboot went back to when they all first got together on the Enterprise. They don’t know each other and don’t really have any trust. Essentially the movies have re-booted to a point in time that no one knows anything about. The movie didn’t start over with “Let’s continue the journey of the crew of the starship Enterprise” It started at a new beginning point altogether.

There are tons of interviews floating around where Abrams and Lindelof discuss this. To me it makes perfect sense.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 said:

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

murfmurphy said:
    When Star Trek started the cast was already a well oiled machine of people with deep relationships and trust in each others abilities. The reboot went back to when they all first got together on the Enterprise. They don’t know each other and don’t really have any trust. Essentially the movies have re-booted to a point in time that no one knows anything about. The movie didn’t start over with “Let’s continue the journey of the crew of the starship Enterprise” It started at a new beginning point altogether.

There are tons of interviews floating around where Abrams and Lindelof discuss this. To me it makes perfect sense.

First, the fact that it did not totally please me does not mean much. I am just a crusty old fan.

My biggest problem was that Kirk was shown as a total asshole and jerk. He did not show any kind of leadership skills. He was a drunken frat boy chasing after wine, women, and song. Compare and contrast Chris Pine as Kirk and Bruce Greenwood as Pike. Greenwood came across as a real leader.

Okay, maybe the next Trek film will show Kirk becoming more humble; there is a line in one of the trailers where Kirk is told (by Pike?) that his lack of humility will get him and everyone under his command killed.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 said:

My biggest problem was that Kirk was shown as a total asshole and jerk. He did not show any kind of leadership skills. He was a drunken frat boy chasing after wine, women, and song. Compare and contrast Chris Pine as Kirk and Bruce Greenwood as Pike. Greenwood came across as a real leader.

Well yeah, I thought that was kind of the theme of the reboot…he became a different person after never growing up with a father (unlike TV Kirk), but still ended up in the same chair at the end and has to grow into it. That’s one of the things I liked about it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?