Our City Online

Messageboard - Volunteering Opportunities

Soup Kitchen Volunteering

Home Forums Events Volunteering Opportunities Soup Kitchen Volunteering

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  turnedNOTburned 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

turnedNOTburned
    Login to Send PM

I’m wanting to spend my holidays (Turkey day/Christmas) volunteering at a soup kitchen, or working with the homeless, driving hot meals to people, whatever. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can do this?

- Devon

Elizabeth Lessner
    Elizabeth Lessner
    Login to Send PM

Faith Mission on Long Street

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I got this email from VOA, if you can make the times:
    Every year, Volunteers of America prepares and delivers more than 2,500 traditional Thanksgiving meals to the homeless, elderly and others in need in Central Ohio – and we need your help.

OPPORTUNITY 1:
    Food Preparation
    Wednesday, Nov. 25
    9 a.m. – 2 p.m.

OPPORTUNITY 2:
    Packaging Meals
    Thursday, Nov. 26
    8 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.

OPPORTUNITY 3:
    Meal Delivery
    Thursday, Nov. 26
    10:30 a.m. or 11 a.m. shifts

All opportunities will occur at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, 400 N. High Street, Columbus, OH 43215. Please note: Space is limited. Opportunities are filled as requests are received, so reserve your spot today!

turnedNOTburned
    Login to Send PM

Sweet! Thanks.

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What a great idea. I’m gonna check my calendar and see if I can do this.

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Lifecare Alliance does Meals on Wheels and the Mid Ohio Foodbank I’m sure needs help pre-thanksgiving.

chrisgillespie
    chrisgillespie
    Login to Send PM

It’s great to want to help. Thanksgiving is a popular day to do this volunteer work. However, keep in mind, people eat all year, and volunteering to help distribute food at other times of the year is just as appreciated, since the groups above work all year :)

In addition to the above, and if you’re interested in a single project, there is a great group that organizes the Good Neighbors picnic every year. It is a one day event (but work in preparation goes on all year). It’s about helping the homeless prepare for winter and giving them food for a day, but it’s also a celebration of life. This was my first year volunteering with them. I really felt blessed by the event, and perhaps this was mostly because the event is not only about giving homeless handouts, but also giving them respect and seeing their humanity. That kind of spirit uplifts everyone. The event includes music and dancing and fun activities for the kids.

They work all year gathering donations (especially clothing). They’d welcome help with the work needed to pull off that event. They have a facebook account (you’ll need to friend them to commuicate with that): http://www.facebook.com/gnpcolumbusoh
    or you can view their website:

http://www.goodneighborspicnic.org/

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

When I was a kid, my synagogue would organize volunteers to cover shifts on Christmas Day at the local Catholic hospital so the regular volunteers could spend the day with their families. If there’s anyone else on CU who doesn’t celebrate Christmas, maybe we could think of that in advance as well.

turnedNOTburned
    Login to Send PM

catnfiddle wrote >>
    When I was a kid, my synagogue would organize volunteers to cover shifts on Christmas Day at the local Catholic hospital so the regular volunteers could spend the day with their families. If there’s anyone else on CU who doesn’t celebrate Christmas, maybe we could think of that in advance as well.

I’m in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Volunteering Opportunities’ is closed to new topics and replies.