Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Social Security Disability/Health Care

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Social Security Disability/Health Care

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  berdawn 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

I have a friend who is currently receiving unemployment and has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. She has been able to keep her health insurance through COBRA, but her benefits will end in December.

The social workers at the hospitals haven’t been very helpful (fill out these forms for charity care) and an SSD attorney told her to come back when her benefits end. We would like to figure out the best way for her to enter “the system” and receive medicaid in light of the need for her to first eliminate her (rather paltry) assets.

Any experts out there that could offer some advice? I’d be happy to pay a professional social worker or case worker if they could lay out options and help manage the process.

Thanks!

B

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, unemployment and COBRA are state programs where social security disability is a federal program and these entities don’t have any communication. I’ve also had experience from someone with ALS that it took SSD quite a while to process their claim after they exhausted all other resources. I would recommend contacting your congressperson. They can put you in contact with liaisons that can expedite and simplify the process and bypass the bureaucracy of getting onto SSD.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

berdawn wrote >>
    I have a friend who is currently receiving unemployment and has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. She has been able to keep her health insurance through COBRA, but her benefits will end in December.
    The social workers at the hospitals haven’t been very helpful (fill out these forms for charity care) and an SSD attorney told her to come back when her benefits end. We would like to figure out the best way for her to enter “the system” and receive medicaid in light of the need for her to first eliminate her (rather paltry) assets.
    Any experts out there that could offer some advice? I’d be happy to pay a professional social worker or case worker if they could lay out options and help manage the process.
    Thanks!
    B

Hey Berdawn,
    I just got back to work after a two day continuing education seminar (on SSI and SSDI of all things). Lemme get caught up this morning then I’ll shoot you a PM…or email me your actual email contact info to osulew@gmail.com, and I’ll see what advice I can give ya.
    I’m an MSW/LSW by the way and I work in healthcare in case ya wanted to know…I’m just a bit useless before I get all this coffee down!

SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Terribly sorry about your friend. Does she know about the Wellness Community? They can’t help her with SSI but they do offer free services to cancer patients, survivors, caregivers and family. They have support groups, yoga classes, reiki, cooking classes, etc.

http://www.wellnesscolumbus.org

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

thanks for all you well wishes! I’ll forward on additional resources (she’s plugged into a couple of different support systems but nothing wrong with redundancy) and be in touch with osulew!

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Got your email. I promise to get back with you today! :)

CMH Gourmand
    CMH Gourmand
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Contact me as well – offline.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?