Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

Saturday Night Live

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Saturday Night Live

This topic contains 69 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

While it may not have been the funniest sketch ever, the fact that it wasn’t a tv/game show parody, a current pop culture event joke, or a lame reoccurring character sketch, meant quite a bit to me.

Absurd. Original. Almost Python-esque, one might dare to say…

It’s a shame it only happens once or twice a season. I’d love to see them take more chances like this.

honavery
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>
    While it may not have been the funniest sketch ever, the fact that it wasn’t a tv/game show parody, a current pop culture event joke, or a lame reoccurring character sketch, meant quite a bit to me.
    It’s a shame it only happens once or twice a season. I’d love to see them take more chances like this.

Yeah I agree. I like the off the wall stuff.

I thought the digital short this week was pretty good too.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/113207/saturday-night-live-digital-short-shy-ronnie

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

I thought the digital short was pretty good too. :)

It’s so tough for me to stay up and watch SNL. I’m such a wimp–off to be early. I fell asleep part-way through Weekend Update.

Hael
    Hael
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

I liked it, as honavery said, very off the wall. Reminded me of The Kids in the Hall.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

@walker, I gotcha. I haven’t regularly watched SNL since the early 90′s so I guess to not know how bad it’s gotten it’s harder to appreciate brighter moments that seem dim to me. Remember when Weekend Update was Kevin Nealon and Norm McDonald?? Those were the days :)

And I think this kinda brainy humor works best 1) with a British accent and 2) when you’re somewhat expecting it. Kids in the Hall had some of the most random skits where you were left thinking WTF was that, but it worked. I guess i just kept waiting for the overt punchline that SNL is usually known for and never got it. Also, I couldn’t get past the really bad accents that made no sense. Were those supposed to be southern?? :(

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, I guess they were supposed to be southern, but they sounded like bad caricatures and not real accents. Just like Brad Pitt in Inglourious Basterds. ;)

I haven’t liked Weekend Update in a long long time. If you want comedic jabs at the national news and politics, watch TDS/CR. Weekend Update is second class, and Seth Myers is incredibly unfunny.

I’ve actually really enjoyed quite a bit of SNL in the past 4 years. I hadn’t watched it with any regularity in quite some time, but I started paying attention again when Andy Samberg joined the cast (because of The Lonely Island), which was close to the same time that Jason Sudekis, Bill Hader, and Kristen Wiig all joined. With clips being posted online on youtube or hulu, it made it easy to watch again without the need to give up my Saturday Nights to sit in front of the TV.

I actually think the current cast is fairly solid compared to the whole history of the show, but it seems like the writing has gotten really sloppy/lazy this year. Too many game show and talk show sketches that seem to drag on and on. Too many one-note jokes that get repeated over and over and drug so deep into the ground in 5 minutes that by the end of the sketch, you’re just angry. They also have a habit of taking sketches that were fairly funny the first time around (Ladies Billiards, The Lawrence Welk Show, Chandeliers) and then doing them again, with practically the same jokes, or a slightly modified version of the same jokes. Are they doing that for the folks who they didn’t watch the first time around?

Oh well. I’ll keep watching the good parts on Hulu…

http://www.hulu.com/watch/16417/saturday-night-live-googly-eyes-gardener
    …and ignoring the bad parts…

http://www.hulu.com/watch/53463/saturday-night-live-gilly

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM
    Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Jon Hamm = Fantastic.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

Still probably my favorite thing on SNL in a LONG time…

http://vodpod.com/watch/1114065-hulu-snl-don-drapers-guide

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

S&L has been so hit-or-miss lately. I suppose really it always has been, but for a couple of years there it was mostly hits and the last two years have been mostly misses. I’m finding myself fastforwarding more than I’m watching lately.

time to give up for a while methinks.

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Agreed. So many of their skits now are just NOT funny, at all. I’ll find myself going through a whole show without so much as chuckling.

Skits like the Latino talk show that Fred Armisen hosts where everyone dances in place for like 20 seconds every time they bring a new guest out make me want to turn off my TV. That gets grating after about the third time everyone dances, but it usually goes on for about ten more guests and 5 minutes later you want to shoot yourself.

The Zach Galifianakis hosted episode was the only show from the past year or so I actually enjoyed (a lot).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

They should enact a moratorium on all “talk show” sketches. They’ve rarely (if ever) been funny and anymore they seem to make up at least 1/3rd of the sketches.

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I’ve not really been too impressed with what little of this season I’ve watched… but I have to say that I am kind of excited to hear that Charlie will be hosting on November 5th:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/17/us-snl-idUSTRE79G3L320111017

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?