Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

Saturday Night Live

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Saturday Night Live

This topic contains 68 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Full Frontal Notary 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Two A-holes doesn’t fit a TV-based plot.

But don’t forget the also incredible Brian Fellow’s Safari Planet. That goat has devil eyes.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, Goth Chat was good, and so were the Mike Meyers versions. I don’t think Colin’s point –or mine– is that every variation on that has been bad, but that it’s become a really lazy default sketch format for them.

Columbuzz wrote >>
    Now that they’re grown up and it isn’t “cool” anymore to sneak downstairs and watch television, it’s just not as fun and/or funny.

Right, and everyone’s favorite cast is whoever was on when you were 13 and first started watching. Cast members before that are revered-but-dated comedy icons, cast members after that are weak imitations.

But anyone who’s watched SNL for any length of time should know that better and worse times come and go as regularly as the cast members, that talented people are often completely wasted, that blacks and other minorities rarely get well-written characters or sketches, that there’s almost never a good sketch after the second musical number, and that bad sketches always outnumber the good ones even on a good night. It’s still the funniest show on broadcast television at 11:30 on Saturday nights –and a pop culture juggernaut.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Oh, I should add that Smigel’s TV Funhouse segments have been consistently awesome over the years. Similar to the Digital Shorts, they have nothing to do with live television or sketch comedy, but an awesome part of SNL nonetheless.

blammo
    blammo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>
    Oh, I should add that Smigel’s TV Funhouse segments have been consistently awesome over the years. Similar to the Digital Shorts, they have nothing to do with live television or sketch comedy, but an awesome part of SNL nonetheless.

The best part of SNL in my book. It’s amazing what you can get away with in cartoon format.

Colin Perkins
    Colin Perkins
    Login to Send PM

Unfortunately he doesn’t really do them anymore. At least he still makes appearances on the new Tonight Show as Triumph.

honavery
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, I loved TV Funhouse.

Also, Bronx Beat was probably my least favorite talk show rip off. Ug.

Colin Perkins
    Colin Perkins
    Login to Send PM

Case in point:

Aside from the minute long exchange between Andy Samburg & Lady Gaga wearing bubbles, every single sketch last night was a TV show. And most were awful.

And Lady Gaga is trying really hard to distract people from the fact that her music is vapid.

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I don’t remember laughing once last night.

TaraK
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The Obama bits just aren’t funny. I’m never sure he’s even trying. I mean, there’s no imitation at all.

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wow, I thought it was one of their better shows in a while. I guess the bar was set pretty low. Lady Gaga surprised the hell out of me when she hit the piano.

honavery
    Login to Send PM

I usually fast forward the music bits.

And yes, while I actually thought the content of the Obama sketch was ok, Armisten’s impression has gone from bad to worse.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

honavery
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>
    More of this please:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/113216/saturday-night-live-potato-chip

So bizarre. Liked it though. The sketch after the 2nd musical performance is usually kind of “anything goes” territory.

th0m
    th0m
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

i remember i did sort of an out-loud HA and a clap or something after this sketch hehehehe good stuff

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

My funny meter must be off because I thought that was the worst 5 minutes ever, lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?