Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

Smothered Gravy Restaurant on The Near East Side

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Smothered Gravy Restaurant on The Near East Side

This topic contains 90 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  MichaelC 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • Author

MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Terrific story from the Dispatch:

Quote:
    Eugena Dade has a vision, and nothing is going to stop her – not poverty, not illness and certainly not the naysayers who think opening a restaurant in a downtrodden neighborhood is a mistake.

Smothered Gravy, a restaurant serving what Dade describes as “fine comfort food” at affordable prices, is slated to open late this week or early next week at 1114 E. Main St., near the corner of Champion Avenue.

“A lot of people don’t think I can do this, but I’m moving on like a freight train,” Dade said. “This is my dream. This is what I’ve always wanted.”

The restaurant and its menu are meant to re-create old-fashioned family meals at Grandma’s house.

KSquared
    Login to Send PM

Yes!! I love good soul food and would love to support Ms. Dade in her efforts. Can’t wait to try this out. Grits for breakfast, yum.

jmathews5
    jmathews5
    Login to Send PM

mmmmmmmmm all about the grits and comfort food. this is just in time for fall and winter.. good luck!

BreakfastwithNick
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing this! I’ll have to try and make it down there right when she opens. Comfort food = yes, please!

BreakfastwithNick
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

And I just re-read the article. Smothered chicken and waffles for breakfast? Hell yes!

Kahiki
    Kahiki
    Login to Send PM

I hope she adds the dining space sooner rather than later.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Excellent news, I will be trying this asap and if it’s as good as it sounds it could be badass to have takeout so close.

alison
    alison
    Login to Send PM

Picking up shrimp and grits on the way into work, or chicken and rice on the way home — and shopping in my own neighborhood?

Sounds grrrreat!

lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I am pretty sure I want to write a book about this woman, even though I haven’t met her yet. This…

“I want to show people that just because you’re poor or you’re in the ‘hood,’ you don’t have to live raggedy. Things can still be nice.”

made me love her instantly.

I hope the food is awesome and she’s wildly successful. You know what I’d love to see? Someone buy her some dining area. This woman is taking a huge and brave step, and I’d love to see it rewarded.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lisathewaitress wrote >> You know what I’d love to see? Someone buy her some dining area. This woman is taking a huge and brave step, and I’d love to see it rewarded.

There will be no redistribution of gravy!

Columbusite
    Login to Send PM

That block looks like it was renovated a while ago and just sitting empty waiting for takers. Glad someone else is going forward and opening up a restaurant here. Rigbsy’s opened a high end spot in the hood and succeeded, so why not places like this? Now keep in mind this is the third new place to open on E Main in less than a year after Irma’s on the intersection at Rhoades (Jamaican) and Zion Cafeteria (Soul Food) on Berkeley. I’ve got to make it down there this week and at least try one of these new places; if we want to see more places pop up here we’ve got to make a the trip out there and support what little good stuff there is and the food at this place sounds very promising. There is still a similar available spot right next door IIRC just in case anyone wants to join her.

Another plus is that I’ll finally be able to try Resch’s famous donuts without having to go way the hell out on E Livingston. Also, kudos to the Dispatch for another uplifting article on E Main in OTE. We need more of these vs. the usual one-sided all negative reporting.

BreakfastwithNick
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

+1 to everything Columbusite said

ScottUlrich
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Isn’t the Jamaican place at Main & Rhoads called Irie? (not Irma’s)

As in…“Every-ting is irie, mon”

e8453b
    Login to Send PM

Great story!! Great for Main St. I will check out the restaurant.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m really glad that she’s opening there – I hope it becomes a neighborhood anchor, along with the existing infrastructure and buuilt in work-crowd. However, that’s the least appetizing name for a restaurant I’ve ever heard.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?