Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Should High Schools be Allowed to cut Sports, Band and Extracurriculars?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Should High Schools be Allowed to cut Sports, Band and Extracurriculars?

This topic contains 55 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Mercurius 5 years, 3 months ago.

Tagged

schools

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

How critical were extracurriculars to your development? I know, for me, they provided invaluable lessons and friendships. Not to mention the scholarship opportunities that arose from them. I can understand not buying new equipment or going to a fee system, but in my home town of Grove City, they were completely cut. Another reason I will probably never move back. Out of all the news outlets, Sports Illustrated just published probably the most in depth coverage of the issue.

Quote:
    in the past 15 years, they’ve passed only one operating levy — in 2005 — and that took several tries. Johnson, the school board president, said every cut has pained her because each one represents “an opportunity lost for a child.” Johnson is campaigning for the levy as well as her own seat, which is one of three up for election in November. She warned that no matter who sits on the board, a defeat of the levy will force the district to cut even deeper. Athletics would be gone, but that probably would be a secondary concern. “The next round of cuts will directly impact classroom instruction,” Johnson said. “That’s what we’ve been trying to protect.”

Read more

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

High Schools is LA will now have up to 42.5 students per teacher:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/education/08school.html

adrock
    adrock
    Login to Send PM

by default, an argument against a school cutting EXTRA-curricular activities means that you propose cutting funding for things like books and teachers to fund football and basketball and band.

the pie is only so big.

if a school can provide extra stuff like sports and music, great, let them do it. if not, there’s nothing stopping a kid from playing sports and playing music outside of school. and for kids in SWCS especially, it would do them a lot of good to interact with kids outside of their district.

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

adrock wrote >>
    by default, an argument against a school cutting EXTRA-curricular activities means that you propose cutting funding for things like books and teachers to fund football and basketball and band.
    the pie is only so big.
    if a school can provide extra stuff like sports and music, great, let them do it. if not, there’s nothing stopping a kid from playing sports and playing music outside of school. and for kids in SWCS especially, it would do them a lot of good to interact with kids outside of their district.

…or allowing students to pay for them. See Pickerington.

Columbusite
    Login to Send PM

I’m almost certain that if they cut out bussing that there’d be plenty of money for extracurricular activities and better learning materials.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

Columbusite wrote >>
    I’m almost certain that if they cut out bussing that there’d be plenty of money for extracurricular activities and better learning materials.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It all comes down to what should a school be and what should it provide. Some people think schools should be entirely “reading, writing and arithmetic”. Yet schools that focus in on those basics often do poorly, even on the basics. The classic ideal is “strong mind in a strong body”. Students learn better when they have adequate physical activity.

From my point of view, art and music should be considered just as basic as the “Three R’s[sic]“. But even if you don’t value those things for themselves, there is ample evidence that art and music education significantly improve academic performance.

As far as the busing comment: It is my understanding that widespread busing was originally mandated in order to desegregate the schools. One might argue that the schools have resegregated even with busing. In my opinion, however, desegregated schooling remains an important goal, and remains difficult to achieve without busing, given that most neighborhoods are not well integrated.

berdawn
    Login to Send PM
    adrock
    adrock
    Login to Send PM

students can’t pay for them, parents pay for them. parents in pickerington as a whole have much, much more expendable income than parents in the southwestern city school district.

the voters don’t want to fund the schools, so their property values go down, so their schools get less money, so their property values go down more, so the schools get even worse, and during all this time anyone with a brain and common sense has moved out of the district…thus is the story of the west/SW side of columbus for a long time now. you just can’t help some people.

ramirez
    ramirez
    Login to Send PM

I don’t think I like the wording of the original question…if they have to cut something they have to cut something. With that said, I am all for reading, writing, math, science, music, phys ed, sports, music etc…
    Another issue of money/savings to consider is No-bid contracts or Sole-Source contracts within school districts. Never doubt that the ‘buddy system’ or ‘good ‘ol boy’ network is hard at work in the public school sector just as it is within’ higher government and it costs these schools buckets of money.

Columbusite
    Login to Send PM

Another link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32538756/ns/us_news-education/

And here’s a quote from yet another one: “Cities and states spend $14.7 billion annually transporting kids to school; for the typical school district, bus bills total 5 percent of the budget.”

http://www.newsweek.com/id/157579

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

Columbusite wrote >>
    Another link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32538756/ns/us_news-education/
    And here’s a quote from yet another one: “Cities and states spend $14.7 billion annually transporting kids to school; for the typical school district, bus bills total 5 percent of the budget.”

http://www.newsweek.com/id/157579

Transportation costs are HUGE. In my previous career, we had an after school program and the cost to transport the kids to and from the program was the single biggest expense, well more than another other category including salaries.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, Cookie, thats usually my knee jerk reaction to Columbusite referring to to anything involving rubber tires and an engine but I think he is right about this one. Maybe staggering starts to High School, Jr. High, Elementary schools so they can share busses and drivers, or eliminating service to kids within a certain radius, or redrawing districts? My high school was 20 miles from my house and I had 3 schools within 5 miles of it, so there was a lot of wasted money bussing our neighborhood that distance.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

Tigertree wrote >>
    Yeah, Cookie, thats usually my knee jerk reaction to Columbusite referring to to anything involving rubber tires and an engine but I think he is right about this one. Maybe staggering starts to High School, Jr. High, Elementary schools so they can share busses and drivers, or eliminating service to kids within a certain radius, or redrawing districts? My high school was 20 miles from my house and I had 3 schools within 5 miles of it, so there was a lot of wasted money bussing our neighborhood that distance.

I think making some changes to bussing is certainly debatable, but he said “cut out bussing,” which is just plain stupid.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

Well sometimes you have to add a ration filter when he speaks…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?