Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Short North murals featured in Sherwin-Williams commercial

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Short North murals featured in Sherwin-Williams commercial

This topic contains 41 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  L-Rag 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

FireEngine said:
    Sears and Dutch Boy are both SW brands if you are price comparing and made in the same factory at the corner of Watkins and New World Drive.

I did not know that. I will have to give those brands a look.

Thanks!

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Does every thread on this forum now have to revolve around Tom’s inner plight, self discovery, and search for love and connection with the Universe?

I’m sorry Tom, I know I’ve been hard on you in the past, and I’m sure you’re a kind person, but it’s really exhausting and distracting when close to every topic on the board contains your often aimless ramblings. You took some time away from here, but are obviously back in FULL FORCE.

I’d have to think there are other forums out there more suited to the discussions that you wish to engage in. A topic about murals in the Short North doesn’t need to be derailed into inscrutable babblings on morality and symbolism. It’s often rude to the topic creators when you take it upon yourself to turn every thread into your own personal soapbox.

Enough is enough.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Sherman Williams uses a local marketing agency – I think Resource? – so it’s very fun that they’ve used the town as the backdrop for such a snappy commercial.

And +1 to Manatee & Shifter.

mbeaumont
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Resource made the ColorSnap app. My guess is they made the spot as well.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:

And +1 to Manatee & Shifter.

+100M

Also, Olympic is the worst paint I’ve ever used. Valspar is decent for budget paint, but nothing tops SW if you got the dollars.

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    +100M

Also, Olympic is the worst paint I’ve ever used. Valspar is decent for budget paint, but nothing tops SW if you got the dollars.

Olympic has to be the worst BUT the fasthide semigloss white… Ive been using alot of it 400. 1.5 coats with sprayer and its a wrap (one heavy coat and 1 light). Even rusty pipes don’t bleed through I’ve been impressed. Still would never use it in my home or a higher end project. Great for old warehouses though.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Its good to know about the Fasthide. I’ve tried Olympic for budget use so many times but it sucks all kinds of ass.

I often paint for people who want to save money but they don’t seem to understand that cheaping out on paint will cost them more when they have to repaint in like 2 years.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Olympic semi-gloss is really good for ceilings – if you’re crazy like myself, and put gloss on your ceilings. It’s thin – I tried more “quality” paint, and the thicker the paint, the less likely it was to self-level upside-down.

I haven’t used SW in a long time – and will likely try them again for my next paint project – but have loved Ralph Lauren’s acrylic enamel semi… it covers really well, it really lays down from a low-nap roller on a smooth wall.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Well ceilings are another story. Love gloss on ceilings!

Except if you have one of those diabolical textured ceilings. WHY??!!

One of these days I’m going to do a “haint blue” ceiling–

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Oh man do NOT use the Dutch Boy ceiling paint, it’s like trying to work with paste. It resists being spread around by a roller brush, and a good bristle brush will leave brushmarks like you were using a cheap stiff brush.

Except if you have one of those diabolical textured ceilings. WHY??!!

So your landlord can point to the dust hanging from the spikes, and keep your deposit.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I remember once trying to “repair” a textured ceiling before they made those spray cans of repair stuff.

Moist chunks of popcorn ceiling came raining down and it was a sad day.

One fun fact I recently learned– the ceilings in most historic buildings were usually not white.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Speaking of spot repair on ceilings…anyone have “a guy?”

I have a water damage spot in the bedroom where some of the “slapbrush” type texture came off. I’ve since had the roof repaired that was causing the damage but the ceiling damage remains.

I have no idea how to spot repair this recessed type ceiling texture, blargh.

I’d do it myself if I knew how but the internet seems fruitless on this.

Slapbrush aka “Knockdown” or even “tiger skin texture”

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Not to get too personal, but is the ceiling really white white? Or has it, shall we say, faded or darkened slightly?

If it’s still a pretty bright white they do have those spray cans of stuff. They shoot up at the ceiling. Then I’d take a putty knife and just slap it around a little until it looks like the rest of the ceiling.

Here’s a pic of the stuff I think:

…oh no, that’s not quite right. I think this is it:

I think they might even make it in “faded” white. Or just sit under your patched spot and smoke blunts all day. It’s a tough job but someone has to do it.

Sorry guys, I’m sick and bored today :)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It’s crispy white and I don’t mind painting after the repair, but it’s definitely not that popcorn texture, but maybe that works if you slop it around with a putty knife?

I am really really good at painting, but really really hate doing it.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Whatever you use, I’d do the whole thing rather quickly and not disturb it too much. Textured ceiling is a fickle mistress and if you get too involved with it, it seems like the whole ceiling wants to fall down.

Its definitely a hold your breath, spray the stuff, put a few marks in it, walk away, breathe again situation.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?