Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Short North Donatos Demolition and New Build

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Short North Donatos Demolition and New Build

This topic contains 97 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  Nancy H 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
  • Author

mbeaumont
    Participant

At the Italian Village Society meeting tonight we learned that Donatos is looking at possibly demolishing their current space at 920 N. High St. and building a new two story building that would house a new Donatos as well as additional retail/restaurant space.

The curb cut on High would be removed, but the drive thru would be retained (albeit in a more efficient layout).

These renderings are conceptual, just fyi. The IV Commission will be looking at this at their next meeting.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sounds like it has promise!

Anyone know how long ago that Donatos was built? It seems relatively recent, and the fact that it’s already up against the curb on High has always made it seem better than your average suburban-style restaurant in an urban area.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Late ’90s/early 2000s I think? I know it was there when my buddies’ band opened for The Clarks in 2002 or so. We went there to use a pay phone.

SteveKZ087
    Participant

Cool stuff. The conceptual style is a little reminiscent of the new Wendy’s builds.

cmhcow
    Participant

I believe it was 1996. I remember Cleve Ricksecker trying to get them to build a two story building at the time. What’s 18 years between friends?

BTW, The Clarks? Good 90’s Pittsburgh band. Terrible cover of Dear Prudence though…

heresthecasey
    Participant

Hmm, interesting.

I’ve always wondered though how many people, or what percentage of customers, actually use the drive-thru at restaurants like this? I understand it of course for fast food, but at restaurants like Donatos, Steak n Shake, or Frisch’s drive-thrus seem both weird and even more inconvenient to me than just going inside.

I do like that they would be including additional space for another retail/restaurant tenant in the building.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I believe the building was built in 1994.

As for the drive thru, it’s really for picking up to-go orders. Not ordering and paying like a traditional fast food drive thru.

Anyway, I think this is a great improvement. Hope it happens.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Hmm, interesting.

I’ve always wondered though how many people, or what percentage of customers, actually use the drive-thru at restaurants like this? I understand it of course for fast food, but at restaurants like Donatos, Steak n Shake, or Frisch’s drive-thrus seem both weird and even more inconvenient to me than just going inside.

I do like that they would be including additional space for another retail/restaurant tenant in the building.

I agree, pizza is fast, but it’s not drive-thru fast. I’ve never quite understood it.

As far as the building, it’s an interesting concept, definitely reminds me of the View on High with the Wendy’s still remaining the major tenant. But I’m surprised they didn’t fully commit to that type of development, with the residential demand in this area I imagine they could do more than 2 stories. Not that Donato’s wants to be in the rental business but they could partner with someone else. I would think that land could be making a lot more money than just as a pizza shop.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…Steak n Shake…

I’ve hit the Steak n Shake drive-thru just for shakes before. ;) Pretty quick.

I agree, pizza is fast, but it’s not drive-thru fast. I’ve never quite understood it.

I think it’s more of a pick-up window rather than a “place your order and wait” window.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

What a great proposed improvement! Next up, the UDF?

mbeaumont
    Participant

What a great proposed improvement! Next up, the UDF?

And the check cashing place, and the White Castle…

dmiranjr
    Participant

I’ve used the pick up window to grab my pizza a couple of times. Order the pizza, wait 5-10 minutes, get to the drive through right as its coming out of the oven. Perfect timing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

And the check cashing place, and the White Castle…

I thought the White Castle site redevelopment was already happening? ;)

Pablo
    Participant

Nice! What happens on the 2nd floor? Restaurant seating?

goldenidea
    Participant

The Donatos building went up in ’95. As a frequent customer, I love that drive thru. After all, pizza is one “carry-out” item not easily transported on two-wheels or on foot. But since they’ll be blocking off the HS entrance/curb cut regardless, as a customer I’d gladly sacrifice the drive-thru for an expanded building footprint. To compensate, they could dedicate a few parking spaces for carry-out customers only, either on-street or in whatever lot area they keep.

Along the line of a bigger building, while I assume the IVC and others have already provided plenty of guidance/opinion, I’m also surprised there’s no residential element to this redevelopment. That’s too bad. there ought to be a way to make residential work.

Also, from memory I count 14 restaurants/bars present or soon to be built on the two blocks between Bodega (at 3rd Ave) and Donatos (at 1st.)… counting Rossi. Me thinks we’re getting pretty saturated with such offerings along this High St segment. Maybe better to plan for and attract another tenant type?

Finally, if a restaurant does end up there, I hope it’s local and not a national or large regional chain, but chances are we won’t get that. Oh well, in all it’s still an improvement.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.