Our City Online

Messageboard - Film

Sherlock Holmes

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Film Sherlock Holmes

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Bear Bear 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Went with the family on opening day, after brunch and before dinner. A lot of discussion will center on the title character. As a fan of both the original stories and of Laurie King’s Mary Russell novels, I like the original — and am maybe a little biased against taking too many liberties with him. I really like the fact that parts of the literary character that aren’t normally emphasized were brought to the screen (boxer; depressive brooder between cases; drug addict); but it was a bit frustrating that, in typical Hollywood style, each had to be exaggerated for greater effect (martial artist; essentially bipolar; poly-drug user).

Downey was fun to watch, as was Rachel McAdams — glad to see Irene Adler resurrected from the original, a minor character with a lot of potential. The hardest part for Downey, I thought, was to portray Holmes as being simultaneously dissolute to the point of incoherence and superhuman in both mind and body… but that’s how the character was written, and he managed to pull it off. Without giving away too much of the story, it was suspenseful enough to keep you going, with the usual Holmes device of slipping the clues in under your nose along the way. Enjoyable and worth watching — thumbs up.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

When I was sick 2-3 weeks back, I spent the time watching the Sherlock Holmes television series from the 80s-90s featuring Jeremy Brett. Well worth the time if you are looking for a brilliant Holmes portrayal.

I’ll be interested to see this one.

Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall
    Login to Send PM

Agree completely with Bear. The Holmes of literature is equal parts admirable and repellent. Holmes and Watson is a classic dysfunctional bro-mance and the movie captured that as well. I thoroughly enjoyed the film even with the Hollywood tendencies.

A.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m disappointed that the only theater that had it schedued at a time we could go yesterday, the Arena Grand, was also CLOSED when we arrived there.

Really want to see this.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

I do wanna see this, but the Imaginarium has my interest up WAY more than this does, and I feel like they have a lot of similarities. I’ll definitely see both though, make no mistake.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Core_Models wrote >>
    I do wanna see this, but the Imaginarium has my interest up WAY more than this does, and I feel like they have a lot of similarities. I’ll definitely see both though, make no mistake.

yeah, I wanna see that too. Can never get enough hurdy-gurdy music.

duncanfj
    duncanfj
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I always liked the re-runs of the Sherlock Holmes on 34.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Agree completely with Bear. The Holmes of literature is equal parts admirable and repellent. Holmes and Watson is a classic dysfunctional bro-mance and the movie captured that as well. I thoroughly enjoyed the film even with the Hollywood tendencies.
    A.

That comment made me think it might be a better outcome if hbo created a sherlock holmes series.

KSquared
    Login to Send PM

myliftkk said:
    That comment made me think it might be a better outcome if hbo created a sherlock holmes series.

Just watched the first episode of the Sherlock Holmes series on BBC. It’s modernized, but perfectly so. Loved it and can’t wait to catch up on the first season on Netflix. Casting was fantastic.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels said:
    When I was sick 2-3 weeks back, I spent the time watching the Sherlock Holmes television series from the 80s-90s featuring Jeremy Brett. Well worth the time if you are looking for a brilliant Holmes portrayal.

I’ll be interested to see this one.

Huge Jeremy Brett fan myself, so I held off on seeing Downey’s take on the role until recently. I didn’t expect to like it, but I did. It helped that there were nods here and there to the original work.

Heck, with one singular exception they even got the guns right; given the nature of the exception it’s forgivable.

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

KSquared said:
    Just watched the first episode of the Sherlock Holmes series on BBC. It’s modernized, but perfectly so. Loved it and can’t wait to catch up on the first season on Netflix. Casting was fantastic.

Yep, it’s fantastic. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are dead on in their respective roles of Holmes and Watson. Much in the way Bear described without the Hollywood tendencies.

This scene sums up the Holmes & Watson relationship pretty nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM63tgRGCDo

Everyone else is cast very well as well, especially Mycroft Holmes and Moriarty.

Not only is the casting very good, but the writing is very fresh with great updates to the original source material (setting it in the current day) and crisp dialogue.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

KSquared said:

I’ll have to check this out.

You know this means SyFy will undoubtedly put together a terrible remake series next year.

the_linotypist
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Robert Downey, Jr. playing a cocaine addict? Who would find that believable?

BreakfastwithNick
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

My wife and I love the new Sherlock series. We’ve re-watched all three of the episodes multiple times. The writing is very succinct, casting spot-on, overall a great modern update. We’ve seen Benedict Cumberbatch on stage in London, and it’s great to see him getting some much-deserved attention. I love his chemistry with Martin Freeman (who I love more and more, every time I see him – can’t wait to see him as Bilbo). And the actor playing Moriarty is just incredible. Can’t wait to see the next season.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

the_linotypist said:
    Robert Downey, Jr. playing a cocaine addict? Who would find that believable?

*snicker*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?