Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

LC RiverSouth - Two 8-Story Apartment Buildings Proposed at High & Rich

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development LC RiverSouth – Two 8-Story Apartment Buildings Proposed at High & Rich

This topic contains 265 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  tonloc620 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 266 total)
  • Author

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

surber17 said:
    I wonder what the naysayers have to say now about “why are we building a park in central downtown, there’s no way it’s going to spark development”

I’m sure they will claim that this will only house “bums, crackheads, and other undesirables us suburban folk are scared of” :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM
    Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Sweet! I ive this type of developement… hopefully the downtown commission makes them add another story or 2? Hahaha

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I really like this rendering. Looks like “The Mile on High” is really starting to come together.

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Aren’t the apartments across the street going to be six stories? So this building will be one story higher…

Glad the buildings are getting taller! :)

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

In the rendering it looks like the courtyard is blocked off to Rich St by a big, blank wall?

Hope this isn’t the case… Any plans floating around out there, Walker? ;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Hoping the design is not watered down in the review process…..kind of like the Commons apts were.

Neutzy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Historic buildings (the 1960s panels are historic now too) make downtown the unique place that it is. When we rebrand our city as fast as a fast food chain or a mall the result we get is something as disposable and uninteresting as a fast food chain or a mall. We need to slow down and consider if this type of development is really worth it. Personally, I don’t think so.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    I’d take this any day, but doesn’t the 2010 action plan “suggest” a minimum of 10 or 12 story buildings along High Street?

I’m guessing the building was limited to 7 stories because they might not have been able to accomodate more parking spaces in the garage on site.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Those 1960′s panels are absolutely horrendous, are you honestly saying you want to keep them?

I’d would have liked seen the Trautman building restored, rather then demolished tho. But given this development would add density, continue with ground retail and be designed in more traditional style I’m regrettably OK with demolition of the existing structures.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m excited to see more growth around high and rich, but how about something other then red brick?

ETA: I will say that it looks so much better then what will be built across the street.

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have to agree with futureman, most the buildings from the 60′s and 70′s are designed so poorly that they actually depress me to be inside them (or to look at them). In contrast, good design lasts and can be appreciated. I think an excellent example is the new Pizzuti art collection building. The piece they saved deserved to be saved. The construction was made of excellent products and was visually stimulating to look at. The piece they knocked down was a crappy looking box.

ink
    Login to Send PM

This project is truely disappointing. A city full of parking lots and we tear down two perfectly good buildings. The Trautman Building might not look too great with its present 1960′s cladding, but I am not convinced there is not potential hidden behind. The interior holds details like this stairwell:

Trautman Building in Columbus, Ohio

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

ink said:
    This project is truely disappointing. A city full of parking lots and we tear down two perfectly good buildings. The Trautman Building might not look too great with its present 1960′s cladding, but I am not convinced there is not potential hidden behind. The interior holds details like this stairwell:

Trautman Building in Columbus, Ohio

I do agree that it’s always better to see development on surface lots rather than demolishing existing buildings, but the reality is that it takes the right combination of property owners, developers, financiers and other partners to make these types of projects happen… so that’s not always going to happen in the ideal space for armchair urban planners like you and me. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Some photos of the existing buildings for those who haven’t been by in awhile…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 266 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?