Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

Secret Fish Market

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Secret Fish Market

This topic contains 27 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Tagged

fish

groceries

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Someone please just drop the dime already.

I KNOW there is a place in Columbus that has good prices on fresh fish/seafood.

Maybe somewhere near the airport, maybe somewhere that has a secret knock or handshake to get it.

Weilands and the Fish Guys at North Market are SO expensive.

PM me the secret knock or handshake instructions and address please.

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I could swear I heard about a place out in Hilliard… can’t recall the name but IIRC a lot of the better restaurants in town use it. Anyone?

Rick Carraway
    Rick Carraway
    Login to Send PM

It used to be Broadmoor Market on the east side of the city. It has very unfortunately closed.

Tenzo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I can’t see why everyone likes the ‘fish guys’.
    If someone delivered that quality of fish to my place I would send it back.

I’ve given up on fish. I just figured I’m in the middle of a corn field, in the middle of farm land, in the middle of a continent. No fresh fish.
    Kind of like no grass fed beef in Tokyo.

Best place I have found for meats and fish is Costco. OK, so you need an SUV or pickup to bring home size that they sell, but it’s the freshest I’ve found.

late edit: Jungle Jims, but it’s a trek

Tenzo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

There are some chinese grocery stores around that allow you to pick a fish out of a tank and ‘wack’ it for you.

That fresh enough?

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tenzo wrote >>
    There are some chinese grocery stores around that allow you to pick a fish out of a tank and ‘wack’ it for you.
    That fresh enough?

yeah… asian market on bethel comes to mind..

Patch
    Patch
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tenzo wrote >>
    Best place I have found for meats and fish is Costco. OK, so you need an SUV or pickup to bring home size that they sell, but it’s the freshest I’ve found.

+1

atalou
    atalou
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve not ventured here yet but I have heard good things. Frank’s Fish and Seafood

misskitty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Frank’s fish and sea food is the place in Hilliard. It’s off Trabue.
    The place that restaurants use like Mitchells and The fish market is

http://www.michaelsmeats.com/index.shtml

patient_zero
    patient_zero
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I was at CAM last week. They had a lot of fresh seafood at reasonable prices. And they had a lot of “other” things you may be interested in as well: kidneys, livers, feet, tongues.

Columbus Asia Market
    Olentangy Plaza
    817 Bethel Road
    Columbus, OH 43214

10sun
    10sun
    Login to Send PM

Barry’s Perch ‘N More
    1024 Columbus Ave. Marysville OH 43040
    Phone: 937-642-0400

I can’t remember his sourcing. The fish I’ve picked up from his location has always been superb.

lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Frank’s Fish is nothing special. As a matter of fact it’s very disappointing.

The best place I’ve found in Columbus to buy fresh fish is, strangely enough, Whole Foods in Dublin. Their fish is usually great-looking and reasonably priced.

I also buy lots of fish at Tensuke market (the Japanese grocery at Old Henderson & Reed).

That being said, seafood is very, very expensive. There’s just no way around it. Working in restaurants I have a pretty good idea of how much this stuff costs wholesale and it isn’t cheap at all. Also the seafood market is very inconsistent. This year, scallop harvesting is being very tightly controlled, and this has caused the price of scallops to skyrocket (you probably won’t be seeing lots of scallops on menus this summer).

For the past year or 2, salmon fishing on the West coast has been severely restricted. This has caused wild salmon to cost up to $35 a pound.

Seafood really isn’t ever a “value” food.

If you don’t mind frozen seafood, you will probably find your best values at Trader Joes and the Andersons. At both of these spots, you can find IQF salmon, swordfish, and tuna at pretty reasonable prices. Usually they are frozen so quickly at such low temperatures that there isn’t a huge loss of quality.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

They rotate a sale of seafood at a single Giant Eagle from time to time, and the prices are insanely good.

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What Lisa said, absolutely everything. The strange thing is the Whole Foods on Lane doesn’t have a very good fish monger. But yeah, Tensuke Market, Weiland’s and Whole Food Sawmill are where I go. If you are heading to Cinci, Jungle Jim’s has a great fish monger. It’s near Ikea.

KSquared
    Login to Send PM

rus wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    That fresh enough?

yeah… asian market on bethel comes to mind..

Which is great unless you happen to be walking by when they are doing it, talking to someone, and fish water and god knows what else gets in your mouth and you have to run outside to throw up. Not that I’m speaking from experience ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?