Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Sears in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sears in Columbus

This topic contains 151 replies, has 50 voices, and was last updated by News News 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)
  • Author

Displaced Columbusite
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

melikecheese said:
    Seems like Corps just shop around for who won’t Tax them, wish someone would offer to relive my taxes if I moved somewhere.

There are states that do just that. States with higher sales tax and no income tax use that as a “sales pitch” to citizens as well as corporations.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Place on Sears’ short list a plus for city
    By Marla Matzer Rose
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Friday October 7, 2011 5:16 AM

Whether Sears Holdings Corp. ends up coming to Columbus or not, reports that the company has put the city on a short list as it considers moving its headquarters is bringing national attention to central Ohio.

Many observers are betting that the owner of Sears and Kmart will end up getting a better deal from Illinois and staying in the Chicago area after its months-long flirtation with moving. But several people with knowledge of the situation say Columbus has made it to the final phase of a serious, multicity search — which in itself is an achievement.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2011/10/07/place-on-sears-short-list-a-plus-for-city.html

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I wish our government would spend more time encouraging/supporting small business rather than trying to cater to these big businesses and industry. Instead of giving big business a million dollar tax break, give 100 small businesses a $10,000 tax break and I’m willing to bet you’d see a lot more success.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Displaced Columbusite said:
    There are states that do just that. States with higher sales tax and no income tax use that as a “sales pitch” to citizens as well as corporations.

Indeed.

fringeoutfitters
    Login to Send PM

columbusmike said:
    I wish our government would spend more time encouraging/supporting small business rather than trying to cater to these big businesses and industry. Instead of giving big business a million dollar tax break, give 100 small businesses a $10,000 tax break and I’m willing to bet you’d see a lot more success.

+1^ and -1 -> “Commercial real-estate experts say the most likely place for a retailer such as Sears to land would be in a suburb such as New Albany or the Polaris area. Although the Far West Side and the Rickenbacker Airport area are key distribution hubs, Holderman said, top management officials typically prefer that a headquarters location be based in an upscale suburban area closer to where they’re likely to reside.”

Corporations seem to love the sprawl and they continue to support the suburban campuses. I understand it may be cheaper to build “out” in these areas rather than “up” but the above statement makes me less excited. The likelihood of a tower being built Downtown is small and the impact it could make on our residents seems lessened in a suburb. I could only imagine the positive impact of a tower (aesthetically and economically) with 6,000+ people working Downtown. This would help us tremendously as a city and a region. Imagine that many bodies in our Downtown. Endless possibilities for retail and small businesses.

Work your magic Mike.

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

They renamed it the Willis Tower because of late Chicago icon Wesley Willis, right?

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

GCrites80s said:
    They renamed it the Willis Tower because of late Chicago icon Wesley Willis, right?

Rock and Roll McDonalds….Rock and Roll McDonalds….

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Hopefully the city/county/state will chip in a heavy tax incentive package for a relocation effort so that everyone in the region can be big losers too!

This smacks of trying to hook up w/ an old high school flame at your 20-year reunion because you remember what she used to be like before the multiple divorces, kids, and botched facial surgeries.

Sears is representative of a dying business model, in fact, they might be better termed a zombie retailer. Let’s not hitch our tax apple cart to a hearse please.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I was making a joke. ;)

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

@walker – I know, I forgot your new commenting cuts off the rest of the quoted thread.

howatzer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think we should offer Sears our virgins.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

fringeoutfitters said:
    +1^ and -1 -> “Commercial real-estate experts say the most likely place for a retailer such as Sears to land would be in a suburb such as New Albany or the Polaris area. Although the Far West Side and the Rickenbacker Airport area are key distribution hubs, Holderman said, top management officials typically prefer that a headquarters location be based in an upscale suburban area closer to where they’re likely to reside.”

Corporations seem to love the sprawl and they continue to support the suburban campuses. I understand it may be cheaper to build “out” in these areas rather than “up” but the above statement makes me less excited. The likelihood of a tower being built Downtown is small and the impact it could make on our residents seems lessened in a suburb. I could only imagine the positive impact of a tower (aesthetically and economically) with 6,000+ people working Downtown. This would help us tremendously as a city and a region. Imagine that many bodies in our Downtown. Endless possibilities for retail and small businesses.

Work your magic Mike.

Yeah, I would love to see Sears create a tower in downtown, possibly 700 ft and add 6200 workers that would bring in extra money into small business around Columbus, and would promote more growth.

cheap
    Login to Send PM

Dublin and new Albany will be falling all over Sears.

don’t count on downtown getting any consideration if Kasich gets involved.

Act_Normally
    Login to Send PM

columbusmike said:

Having Sears move to Columbus would be worth $10,000 to 100 small local businesses *every year*. That’s why they court these companies.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Act_Normally said:
    Having Sears move to Columbus would be worth $10,000 to 100 small local businesses *every year*. That’s why they court these companies.

“Trickle-down Economic Development”?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?