Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Savor Growl

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Savor Growl

This topic contains 163 replies, has 62 voices, and was last updated by  JakeNic 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    theRuhlMan
    theRuhlMan
    Participant

Shady indeed. Another fine reason to steer instead to the Pacemont Carryout, right around the corner!

MFRONE
    Participant

Not a fan of their store at all and this just adds to the list of sketchy things I’ve heard about them.

I only shop at Weiland’s or PaceHigh for beer when I make it back to Columbus.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Had a weird/bad experience there myself. When in to fill up a growler over the summer and they asked if I wanted to sample various beers to fill it. I sampled a few and decided on one and when I checked out I was charged $1 per taste. It was odd to me that I wasn’t notified ahead of time of the price, never have or will go back.

Rhododendron
    Participant

These guys have been doing stuff like this forever.

They’ve since deleted it but not that long ago Savor Market had posted pictures of the owners outside of the Three Floyds brewery…a few days later they had bottles of Zombie Dust for sale. Coincidence? Be aware that Three Floyds started bottle dating a little while back so if you go to buy anything Three Floyds from Savor and it doesn’t have a date…

Last time I stopped at Savor Growl they had a beer marked three different prices at three different places in the store. The ones up front were $2 more than ones in the back. That was the last straw for me. There’s too many good places to buy beer in town to justify supporting them.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

I’ve been getting beer here for a year now. Service has always been prompt and polite. Prices have seemed on par for the most part. The location makes it the most convenient stop for me on my way home. Haven’t heard anything negative from anyone about this place until now. So this news is a little troubling.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Buying out cases from grocery stores and then illegally reselling at inflated prices is despicable, and only hurts the local beer consumer & market.

There are many retailers in Clintonville that play by the rules and don’t price gouge their customers by creating artificial scarcity.

Speak with your wallet and never shop here.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I’m glad Savor Growl cleared things up on Facebook.

They say that one of their employees might have purchased the $1,800 of Hopslam from Giant Eagle for “personal consumption”, but it wasn’t “under their name.”

Makes perfect sense.

MFRONE
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:

They say that one of their employees might have purchased the $1,800 of Hopslam from Giant Eagle for “personal consumption”, but it wasn’t “under their name.”

Makes perfect sense.

But where did the extra cases that Bells never send out come from?

db

Calling the shop only exacerbates suspicion. Consistency across messaging channels is not one of Savor’s strong points.

pez
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:

Makes perfect sense.

Well that’s probably accurate (now) as there is no way they are going to risk having the state confiscate it if they are unable to prove record of purchase through a legitimate channel.

Lesson is that if you find an arbitrage, keep your mouth shut, stay low key and buy in quantities that won’t raise suspicion.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

So there are 76 six packs on the cart in the photo…and shortly after it was taken, they advertised 80 six packs for reservation…but some guy™ that happens to work there bought them for personal use.

Got it.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

ELI5: Why is this a big deal? I’m not a beer expert so I guess I don’t get why everyone seems upset.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    ELI5: Why is this a big deal? I’m not a beer expert so I guess I don’t get why everyone seems upset.

They are creating false scarcity by drying up the local market, and then price gouging their customers by selling the beer at inflated prices because they had to buy them at retail instead of wholesale.

By cleaning out their local competitor, they are then trying to appear to be the hero by having some magical stock of Hopslam that everyone else didn’t get, because this beer is highly limited and regulated.

It’s dishonest, hurts the local beer community, and most importantly is illegal.

It’s a pretty black & white issue.

MFRONE
    Participant

More than that, it’s illegal to purchase beer and resell it (no matter what the price) if you aren’t getting through a licensed wholesaler.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 164 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.