Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

San Diego recommendations?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel San Diego recommendations?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rocknrolloutlaws 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Headed out to San Diego for a few days toward the end of January. Most of the time is going to be spent at a wedding, but we’ll have a few days to hang out before hand. I’m wondering if anyone has any good recommendations–specifically for places to eat.

Right now, it sounds like we might check out AirBnB for the first time. And the North Park neighborhood has been recommended as a place with interesting stuff that’s more than just the tourist spots of the Gaslamp District or Old Town.

I’ve found one spot I definitely want to check out, a seafood taco truck(s) called Marsicos German.

Other than that, I’m open to any and all suggestions!

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have no recommendations, just wanted to say love calvin and hobbes.

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The Aero Club has a staggering quantity of whiskey. Sushi Ota is rumored to be one of the better sushi places around. Didn’t have much time there to explore, myself.

Ajumama
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Lucha Libre taco shop is in Mission Hills right near the airport- Go early and get the Surfin California burrito. The Hillcrest area is great for walking around, it is probably the closest thing to the Short North that they have. Chocolate has some nice bistro Italian food and there is an Ethiopian place that has a killer good and cheap lunch buffet. (Sorry, for the life of me I can’t remember the name) There are also a ton of cute shops with vintage clothes, records and art.

Stay away from Whisk and Ladle or Prep Kitchen- both are super disappointing despite what the locals will tell you.

If you have access to a car and feel like taking your life in your hands, Mira Mesa is chock full of Vietnamese places- most of them good and cheap. Claremont Mesa is more or less Koreatown- if you are looking late night you can try BBQ Chicken which does Korean style fried chicken as well as other Korean favorites. Down the street there is a place called Tofu House that serves pretty much nothing but variations on soontobu- a spicy broth with super soft tofu.

Even further up the road in Encinitas is Stone Brewery and they give tours.

Again- not kidding about the life in your hands driving thing. Be ready to merge off exit ramps at 70 mph, California lane changes (not pausing when crossing 5 lanes of traffic) and more general insanity.

If you haven’t done the touristy thing, take a harbor cruise around Coronado. :)

Kata1970
    Kata1970
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I recommend Mama Testa’s in Hillcrest. Great Mexican with a selection of salsas that will blow your mind. If you’re in North Park for breakfast, go to The Mission. I order the breakfast quesadilla whenever I’m in town. They also have locations downtown and in Pacific Beach (PB), but North Park is my favorite.
    If you like something with a French brasserie feel, Cafe Chloe on 9th and G St. just outside the Gaslamp is great for weekend brunch. Pricey, but good. Their little patio is great for soaking up the sun in January. Nearby is Neighborhood – a small restaurant and bar with good food. Now I’m hungry and homesick.

arualpalm
    arualpalm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

1. Do not go to or eat at Seaport Village. It is a tourist rip-off.

2. Go to La Jolla for the evening and eat at George’s at the Cove. They have some great vegetarian options, and this was probably the best restaurant we have dined in the past two years.

http://www.georgesatthecove.com/

3. Non-dining: If you go to the zoo, make sure you have a coupon or discount. We had no idea tickets were $42+ per person when we walked up to the gate.

sokumar
    Login to Send PM

Had a great time at Ballast Point Brewery in Scripps Ranch, Green Flash is in Mira Mesa which is not far so you can get them both done pretty easy. There is a speakeasy called The Noble Experiment inside The Neighborhood (which has great food and beer), you have to make reservation via text (619.888.4713) and they will text you back with a reservation time. It only seat 32 people, has good cocktails and is just a very interesting, different thing to do! Would also consider having Persian food if you either like it or have never tried it, Bandar in the Gaslamp has really great kabob and a nice atmosphere. Have fun!!

hajames66
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Extraordinary Desserts is, um, pretty extraordinary. The Mission does have a good breakfast. Super crowded on the weekends.

Mite66
    Login to Send PM

I had last visit there with my friend and enjoyed lot of time there…
    Head to Chicago Jolla to the night and also try to eat with George’s on the Cove. They have already some good vegetarian alternatives which ended up being likely the finest eating place we have now dined before two years.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?