Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

Chef Rosendale is leaving Columbus - Restaurant to Remain Open

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Chef Rosendale is leaving Columbus – Restaurant to Remain Open

This topic contains 129 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Just saw Lisa the Waitress tweet it… “It’s official. Chef Richard Rosendale is leaving Columbus.”

Not sure if that means the restaurant is leaving with him or not. Anyone heard more than 120 characters on this?

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The twittersphere (in the form of current employees) has the restaurant staying open.

I’ve heard 120 characters x 10 on this, more or less….

Don Ruben
    Don Ruben
    Login to Send PM

Not surprised. Here’s a CU post of my July 8 visit:

#8 Don Ruben Says:
    July 20th, 2009 at 7:20 pm
    Longtime reader/CU fan, first post.

Wednesday evening July 8th, neighbors asked me to join them at Rosendale’s Details Minibar & Lounge for drinks and snacks. I had never been to Details but having seen the mini-burger sliders sidewalk sign many times, looked forward to trying them.

Both sides of the restaurant were nearly empty with excessive a/c blasting, and soon the bartender/server approached to take our drink order, informing us we’d “missed happy hour by one minute.” We thought he was joking but he quickly repeated that happy hour had concluded “one minute ago.”

I have learned to cut my losses quickly and painlessly when restaurants are obviously having a bad day. When encountering within the first few minutes a negative vibe, unpleasant service, a bait-and-switch menu and an unappealing environment, often it’s best to say ‘thanks but no thanks’ and go somewhere else. All restaurants are capable of having a bad day.

But my friends, treating me for dinner, were anxious for cocktails so we ordered two Sapphire gin and tonics and an Absolut with tonic. The bartender/server exited before we could complete our order (lime/lemon? olive? twist?) so our drinks weren’t right. We all agreed, watery and disappointing.

I tried to order the touted sliders but smarmy server said the Details menu was ‘gone for the week’ and we had to order from Rosendale’s (where had the Details menu ‘gone’? They never said). Since R’s menu includes the same burger in an 8 oz size, we asked if the kitchen could manage the smaller burgers and were told this would be impossible as this menu item “had not been prepped.”

Tuna tacos were flavorless with the two fish slices paper thin, Carpaccio-style instead of the advertised ‘Fresh Ahi Tuna Tartar.’ Sweet potato fries were okay. An order of roasted chicken arrived poorly seasoned and extremely dry, it was passed around the table in that “try this, is it as dry as it seems?” way and was left uneaten.

My companions, a friendly, easy-to-please couple who eat out regularly, were confused and disappointed in the service, the attitude, and the fact that for no apparent reason we couldn’t order from the Details menu. I won’t be returning.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/rosendales-to-undergo-a-dining-transformation

GhettoBuddha
    Login to Send PM

I live right around the corner from Rosendales and have been there twice. This place was bound to fail from the beginning. Starting an overpriced restaurant that only caters to commuters from the suburbs such as Worthington and Dublin is not a good idea. Matter of fact any restaurant that needs a Valet service to survive as part of it’s business plan is headed to failure.

I agree with the previous posters that service as Rosendales has always been lack luster and the food has been just O.K. Anytime a restaurant has to change its theme three times that should be like a big kick in the pants to the owners that something is not working.

Rosendales has never once treied to cater to the neighborhood it is in. The residents of the Short North can kill a place if they feel that it does not belong, and they can also help a business thrive if they feel treated right. Look at Betty’s, Rossi, Press Grill these places are pack 7 days a week because locals like them and are treated like valued guests.

GB

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m not surprised but disappointed.

Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall
    Login to Send PM

GhettoBuddha wrote Starting an overpriced restaurant that only caters to commuters from the suburbs such as Worthington and Dublin is not a good idea. Matter of fact any restaurant that needs a Valet service to survive as part of it’s business plan is headed to failure.

That is so true! Only people who live in the suburbs have money. The city is just for poor people.

Next time I see Kent Rigsby, I will tell him about the failure of his business plan having valet parking … 20+ yrs ago.

A.

Roland
    Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The best dish I’ve ever had in Columbus was at Rosendale’s. A duck breast mushroom fricassee that was part of the Slow Food Columbus event held there.

On the other hand, I haven’t been too impressed with the new menu. Can anyone make a solid recommendation there?

Details was awesome because of Chef Drew Garns. His tasting events were priced well and delivered in spades. Being able to shoot the breeze with the chef was a very cool part of the experience. I was in there regularly before his departure.

That said, Details is still the place to go for a good cocktail.

GhettoBuddha
    Login to Send PM

Andrew Hall wrote >>

GhettoBuddha wrote Starting an overpriced restaurant that only caters to commuters from the suburbs such as Worthington and Dublin is not a good idea. Matter of fact any restaurant that needs a Valet service to survive as part of it’s business plan is headed to failure.

That is so true! Only people who live in the suburbs have money. The city is just for poor people.
    Next time I see Kent Rigsby, I will tell him about the failure of his business plan having valet parking … 20+ yrs ago.
    A.

Ah, Andrew very nice for you to just take quotes out. Rigsbys has always and will always cater to the Short North residents, and everyone who walks in the is made to feel welcome. I am surprised you did not bring up Level too,are they going to fail. I can tell you that Black Olive will fail like Rosendales simply because it is not a neighborhood place to eat. They rely on having a valet to bring in people from the Circles and worthington. They also have bad food inspections. Oh, BTW rich people live in the city too, we just walk to places and want to keep our neighborhood free from idiots that abuse in and use it as a big urban adventure.

lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Roland wrote >>

Details was awesome because of Chef Drew Garns. His tasting events were priced well and delivered in spades. Being able to shoot the breeze with the chef was a very cool part of the experience. I was in there regularly before his departure.

when Drew announce he was leaving, the Chef said – and I quote – “Drew didn’t have a following in Columbus or anything.”

Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall
    Login to Send PM

GhettoBuddha wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

A.

Ah, Andrew very nice for you to just take quotes out. Rigsbys has always and will always cater to the Short North residents, and everyone who walks in the is made to feel welcome. I am surprised you did not bring up Level too,are they going to fail. I can tell you that Black Olive will fail like Rosendales simply because it is not a neighborhood place to eat. They rely on having a valet to bring in people from the Circles and worthington. They also have bad food inspections. Oh, BTW rich people live in the city too, we just walk to places and want to keep our neighborhood free from idiots that abuse in and use it as a big urban adventure.

You made a blanket statement that having a valet was a recipe for fail. Rigsby’s had done it from the get-go. When Rigsby’s opened up in 1986, it did NOT cater to SN residents.

If Rosendale’s ambition was to create a destination restaurant for the Columbus area (and it was), then it should attract people from all over the region. That is a good thing for not only downtown, but for the whole area. If so, it needs valet parking. I guess you want people to have low ambitions.

Do you hate the disabled and elderly who can’t walk around your cool neighborhood as much as you hate suburbanites?

A.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

God forbid that people that don’t live within walking distance trespass in your precious Short North. You ought to build a wall around it and put in doorman service.

CDS sherman
    CDS sherman
    Login to Send PM

but that might require a valet…..

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Drew was the bomb.

GhettoBuddha
    Login to Send PM

Cookie wrote >>
    God forbid that people that don’t live within walking distance trespass in your precious Short North. You ought to build a wall around it and put in doorman service.

What I do not like is people who treat the neighborhood poorly. We made a choice to live in the Short North because it is a neighborhood that appeals to us. We like to be able to walk to the park and to our favorite spots to eat and drink. Part of what makes the place great is that it attracts a lot of different people.

The problem is those people do not see the Short North as a neighborhood, but rather a theme park, a neat little get away to tell their friends about. High street is just a veneer and unfortunately that is all people see. They see my yard as something to be trampled on as they park on the permit only side streets in a rush to get to that great restaurant. I have not been a fan of Rosendales since day one, but I gave them two chances to win me over and they failed miserably. They looked at me a someone who “walked” in and was not dropped off out front by the valet. Now apparently they made more people than just me feel that was regardless of how they arrived and they are suffering as a result. I will be happy to see them go and be replaced by someone who understands that while you might want to be a destination restaurant you really survive by engaging with the people of the neighborhood who walk in daily for a quick bite or a nice pint of beer.

GB

P.S. Andrew, whats the view from the Circles like anyway? Sounds pretty exclusive to me.

GhettoBuddha
    Login to Send PM

Cookie wrote >>

What I do not like is people who treat the neighborhood poorly. We made a choice to live in the Short North because it is a neighborhood that appeals to us. We like to be able to walk to the park and to our favorite spots to eat and drink. Part of what makes the place great is that it attracts a lot of different people.

The problem is those people do not see the Short North as a neighborhood, but rather a theme park, a neat little get away to tell their friends about. High street is just a veneer and unfortunately that is all people see. They see my yard as something to be trampled on as they park on the permit only side streets in a rush to get to that great restaurant. I have not been a fan of Rosendales since day one, but I gave them two chances to win me over and they failed miserably. They looked at me a someone who “walked” in and was not dropped off out front by the valet. Now apparently they made more people than just me feel that was regardless of how they arrived and they are suffering as a result. I will be happy to see them go and be replaced by someone who understands that while you might want to be a destination restaurant you really survive by engaging with the people of the neighborhood who walk in daily for a quick bite or a nice pint of beer.

GB

P.S. Andrew, whats the view from the Circles like anyway? Sounds pretty exclusive to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?