Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Renovation of Whole Foods on Lane Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Renovation of Whole Foods on Lane Avenue

This topic contains 38 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Whole Foods Market will step aside for expansion

Saturday, July 2, 2011

BY TIM FERAN

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The Whole Foods Market in Upper Arlington will move next week from one site in the Shops on Lane Avenue to another.

The organic- and natural-foods retailer’s current store, at 1555 W. Lane Ave., will be torn down. The 22,000-square-foot building that housed a Wild Oats market until Whole Foods bought the chain in 2007 will be replaced by a building that, at 35,000 square feet, is nearly 60percent bigger.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/07/02/market-will-step-aside-for-expansion.html?sid=101

TomOver
    Login to Send PM

The success of Whole Foods says something about the progress of the organic foods movement. That’s cool. So I prefer to shop Whole Foods instead of say, Giant Eagle, generally speaking.

But when shopping Whole Foods I still feel like a consumer. By contrast, when shopping the Clintonville Community Market and farmers markets, I feel more like a participant in the process.

During the summer and fall, I can buy produce friends and I w/ Four Seasons City Farms have grown, and produce grown by people I’ve spoken w/ such as Jaime Moore and Adam Welly of Wayward Seed Farm.

By the way, most of the growers I talk w/ at farmers markets are not vegetarians, not to mention vegans. Some of them even agree with farm animal confinement and use—at least occasionally– pesticides and chemical fertilizers.

Though I don’t agree with them on those things, they are still the real, flesh-and-blood people who are producing some of my food. I’d rather give more of my support to them than put even more money into the hands of the large corporations that dominate our food system.

Compared w/ my experience at farmers markets and the co op in Clintonville, Whole Foods seems to involve having more of a sense of detachment.

What do you think ?

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We’re losing a bit of nerd history with the razing of that building since Micro Center got it’s start there

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    We’re losing a bit of nerd history with the razing of that building since Micro Center got it’s start there

Agreed, the old Micro Center was pretty awesome. It was like a mini mall with each department having it’s own store front.

chaptal
    chaptal
    Login to Send PM

That building used to be Sun-TV also. Bought my first VCR there.

No wait, Sun was where Half Price Books is now.

Red Sun Rising
    Login to Send PM

Sounds like an even more congested parking situation coming soon. Perhaps with this change I will see the return of products that have been lost since the Wild Oats/Whole Foods conversion. In the summer I drive a little further to shop the Sawmill store more frequently because of the greater selection of produce, especially mushrooms, and my favorite vegan frozen desert options, among others.

Tom- Speaking of the Clintonville Community Coop- they have a pretty good shitake mushroom selection as well a more obscure varieties such as the pom pom mushroom. Man, throw that on the Bar-b marinated with a little lemon juice and melted earth balance and it is quite reminiscent of lobster in taste and texture.

Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

TomOver wrote >>
    The success of Whole Foods says something about the progress of the organic foods movement. That’s cool. So I prefer to shop Whole Foods instead of say, Giant Eagle, generally speaking.
    But when shopping Whole Foods I still feel like a consumer. By contrast, when shopping the Clintonville Community Market and farmers markets, I feel more like a participant in the process.
    During the summer and fall, I can buy produce friends and I w/ Four Seasons City Farms have grown, and produce grown by people I’ve spoken w/ such as Jaime Moore and Adam Welly of Wayward Seed Farm.
    By the way, most of the growers I talk w/ at farmers markets are not vegetarians, not to mention vegans. Some of them even agree with farm animal confinement and use—at least occasionally– pesticides and chemical fertilizers.
    Though I don’t agree with them on those things, they are still the real, flesh-and-blood people who are producing some of my food. I’d rather give more of my support to them than put even more money into the hands of the large corporations that dominate our food system.
    Compared w/ my experience at farmers markets and the co op in Clintonville, Whole Foods seems to involve having more of a sense of detachment.
    What do you think ?

I’ve noticed a tendency which is that the more people there are between me and what I eat, or me and my paycheck, the less I like things . :) Every step in the processing of my food or livelihood is lost energy, lost value, and greater bureaucracy. It’s more steps where things can become just slightly corrupted. I’d rather have more direct oversight over that stuff which is why I’d rather deal directly with the earth that provides my sustenance, or the people who grow what food I can’t grow for myself.

Doesn’t always happen of course, but it’s nice when it does.

So yeah, Whole Foods has a slightly antiseptic vibe. I’d almost always rather go to the Co-op. It’s not as fancy, but I feel like if it takes that huge Whole Foods building and all this specialized stuff to make my almond milk or whatever, I’m doing it wrong.

cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

On the processing side we live in a pretty schizophrenic society. I was headed back from the Sawmill store with a friend (we had purchased $$$ groceries for a party) when he surprisingly pulled into a Burger King drive thru and bought several original chicken sandwiches for his family because it was a ‘great deal’ at only $1.04 this weekend only. I can’t comprehend the processing complexity that is required to create that frankenchicken sandwich. In retrospect, I would rather have gone to the much closer Kroger if that would have avoided the BK enroute (and avoided the extra gas and emissions in the process).

Red Sun Rising
    Login to Send PM

Manatee wrote >>

TomOver wrote >>
    What do you think ?

I’ve noticed a tendency which is that the more people there are between me and what I eat, or me and my paycheck, the less I like things . :) Every step in the processing of my food or livelihood is lost energy, lost value, and greater bureaucracy. It’s more steps where things can become just slightly corrupted. I’d rather have more direct oversight over that stuff which is why I’d rather deal directly with the earth that provides my sustenance, or the people who grow what food I can’t grow for myself.
    Doesn’t always happen of course, but it’s nice when it does.
    So yeah, Whole Foods has a slightly antiseptic vibe. I’d almost always rather go to the Co-op. It’s not as fancy, but I feel like if it takes that huge Whole Foods building and all this specialized stuff to make my almond milk or whatever, I’m doing it wrong.

I agree, and since my shitake mushroom log has all but disintegrated and no longer fruiting (which were amazing, delicious and vastly preferable) it’s definitely time to either buy another per-inoculated log or do it myself. They are so much better that way. Making any kind of nut milk is a heck of a lot cheaper and environmentally friendlier. Beans or nuts purchased in bulk and blend in water, add a little salt, vanilla, agar-agar, maple or agave, and sieve and it is quite delicious. Over the winter, I experimented with making macadamia nut milk- wow! Mix that with a little coconut milk and gawd it made for an amazing batch of tapioca pudding. Unfortunately, we aren’t growing those here yet, but I have a friend who is making headway with growing more tropical varieties of plants/trees here using some interesting techniques like burying them during the winter, then raising them in the spring and vertical greenhouses are coming soon.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Kinda sucks. They have great prices on cases of cliff bars.

Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus wrote >>

Don’t know if this is still true but I think Trader Joe’s has mean deals on Clif Bars.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Manatee wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Don’t know if this is still true but I think Trader Joe’s has mean deals on Clif Bars.

heard they did from a friend that works there, but not a fan of their locations.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Analogue Kid said:

funny, that’s all I could think of also.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Looking nearly finished (though I believe it opens in February):

http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-nov-2012-part-2

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This is taking forever.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?