Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

Benchmark Apartments

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Benchmark Apartments

This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Thomas Fortin 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Thomas Fortin
    Login to Send PM

Kenny Henderson Center to be redeveloped to G Living

A 50,000 sf retail center is to be redeveloped into an “eco-hub” The retail/office structure is slated to open in Summer 2009. The developers are now seeking retailers and businesses that sell and service environmentally and healthy (green) goods and services. Thomas Fortin is co developing the site with Elizabeth Buchenroth. Fortin is seeking organic cafes, organic and health food grocers, organic tea and coffee salons, eco fashion retailers, recycled product retailers, health salons, movement studios, offices and agencies concerned about saving natural resources. Because the building is being “recycled” lease rates are very reasonable and are only from $5 to $12 per sf. The site is behind Walgreens. Its very visible and there is alot pf free parking. The web site is http://www.shopgliving.com. For more information you can contact Tom Fortin at 614-348-7876 and Elizabeth Buchenroth at 614-354-7707[/url]

Matthew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This should be interesting. I’ve always liked the building.

JPowell
    JPowell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

very cool concept. the building looks good too. i just hope this works as it seems that building is cursed. nothing ever stayed too long in it. i would like to see something like this in the short north area. how about redeveloping the soon to be vacant giant eagle into something like this.

enzo
    enzo
    Login to Send PM

Tom Fortin is awesome. He has great vision. I am so into this!!! I wish I could get some help with writing a business plan though.

Cyclist
    Login to Send PM

On topic: Tom Fortin was explaining his G Living project on the radio the other day. It is an excellent idea by bringing together several aspects of sustainability like food, transportation, health, and more in one complex… agglomerations like this create a higher ratio of productivity and can really incubate new ideas and reinforce current good (and sometimes bad ideas.) Big cities and even small have “specialty districts” where common trades or activities agglomerate like a Diamond District or Garment District…. the whole idea/craft sharing goes on. Maybe Cols. can have a “Green District” even though I hate to commodify eco-friendly living.

I do regret its location as its in a very autocentic area.

I think something like this could be done in another part of the inner city that has lower rents but just as much space and even greater accessibility. Like an abandoned factory/warehouse or strip mall like that one at Parsons and Livingston….

misskitty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I will make a trip to this when it opens from the site it looks real cool. I want to check it out it’s a bit far from me but there are many living in the area I bet it will be a success:)

monkeypox
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

from the looks of things, this is the old benchmark outfitters/max & erma’s building. glad they’re doing something with the empty real estate, but as Cyclist stated already… it’s not exactly the most pedestrian-friendly area.

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

i thought max & ermas was still open? are they staying on as part of this new project?

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wow, I didn’t know about this! This is maybe 1/2 mile from my house.

Yes it was the Benchmark store and several others, and long before that it was a small mall with many different businesses. It is an odd interior space, four or five levels with a bit of a gap in between that’s like a narrow atrium running the length of the space.

I was sure the place waas doomed; I’m glad to hear it won’t be replaced by anonymous office and professional buildings.

The Walgreens at the front replaced a TGI Friday’s, there’s your aging demographic for you.

A bit of background, when the place was built they filled a ravine, and one night a kid was killed playing around on a sheepsfoot roller when he hit the Start button and it lurched, knocking him out of the seat and under the wheels. So maybe there is a restless spirit there.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

alexs wrote >>
    Wow, I didn’t know about this! This is maybe 1/2 mile from my house.
    Yes it was the Benchmark store and several others, and long before that it was a small mall with many different businesses. It is an odd interior space, four or five levels with a bit of a gap in between that’s like a narrow atrium running the length of the space.

yeah. That mall, “the bazaar”, was really cool. There were almost no partitions between the stores and they all sort of blended together. I remember there was a store there for a while that sold weird furniture made from foam rubber with no structure. Crazy ’70′s stuff.

CDS sherman
    CDS sherman
    Login to Send PM

this could be a good opportunity for me to sell my outdoor furniture made from recycled steel and stone.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Benchmark Apartments Planned for Kenny Road Corridor
    By: Walker

The iconic building that was once home to an open multi-level market bazaar and one of the most well known Max & Erma’s locations will be razed this month to make way for a new apartment development next year.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/benchmark-apartments-planned-for-kenny-road-corridor

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Apartment complex OK’d for site of former Benchmark shopping center
    Premium content from Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Friday, January 27, 2012, 6:00am EST
    Brian R. Ball
    Staff reporter – Business First

The site of the demolished Benchmark retail center in Columbus finally is making way for 108 apartments.

(…)

That process ended in mid-December, when the project secured an $8.97 million construction loan through First Bexley Bank. Concrete pads and foundations for nine building pairs that will make up the $10.5 million Benchmark Apartments are scheduled to be poured in February. The complex will include nine one-bedroom, nine three-bedroom and 90 two-bedroom apartments.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/01/27/apartment-complex-okd-for-site-of.html

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Benchmark Apartments Scheduled to Open This Fall
    June 15, 2012

The Benchmark Apartments were announced back in November and are already fully underway. This new three-story 108-unit development will begin to open this October with a final completion scheduled for early 2013.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/benchmark-apartments-scheduled-to-open-this-fall

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

News said:
    Benchmark Apartments Scheduled to Open This Fall
    June 15, 2012

someone needs to take away that architect’s lego set.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?