Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

Rant: I hate the term Urban Pioneer

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Rant: I hate the term Urban Pioneer

This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by cbus11 cbus11 3 years, 2 months ago.

Tagged

rants

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

lol, would be a neater ad if he were wearing a coon skin cap.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I have stared down a possum in my back yard, have been annoyed by a groundhog living under our shed, and watched a raccoon climb across the roof of my neighbor’s house.

That’s my urban pioneer cred. ;)

(Seriously though, I’m not a huge fan of the term either. I understand the meaning of it, and understand the gripes about it, but I normally am not one to use it very often myself either…)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

groundrules wrote >>
    this is legit. i saw walker carrying a musket and a stack of beaver pelts on gay street.

I’m planning on bartering with the pelts for a 75%-off discount coupon at a local restaurant.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

groundrules wrote >>
    this is legit. i saw walker carrying a musket and a stack of beaver pelts on gay street.

I’m planning on bartering with the pelts for a 75%-off discount coupon at a local restaurant.

Please let us know how it goes.

jimbach
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

groundrules wrote >>

We’ll know who to blame if lizless starts putting “Varmint” on her menus.

gramarye
    gramarye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jimbach wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

groundrules wrote >>

We’ll know who to blame if lizless starts putting “Varmint” on her menus.

And to be wary of any new “Dog of the Day” promotions at Dirty Frank’s …

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

On a side note, jimbach, your new location name is fantastic.

cyclist II
    cyclist II
    Login to Send PM

I just finished reading a book written in 1961 about the frontier.

TaraK
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Similar peeve: “urban agrarianism.” Srsly? Um, you mean that potted cilantro from Lowes?

racheltb
    Login to Send PM

lazyfish wrote >>
    frontier seems like a useful term, remember when Italian village north of 1st was the frontier, seems weinland park still is. I’ve heard east of Ohio is the frontier. Urban pioneer may be trite, what about homesteaders?

Oooh – Don’t say urban homestead. It’s copyrighted.

I just might have some urban-caught-’varmint’ in the freezer. What does that make me?

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

TaraK wrote >>
    Similar peeve: “urban agrarianism.” Srsly? Um, you mean that potted cilantro from Lowes?

either that or weed under grow lamps in the spare bedroom, I guess…

Anidem
    Login to Send PM

^Good lord, it looks like that’s not the only phrase they trademarked.

“In addition, Dervaes Institute owns numerous trademarks which should be properly acknowledged if used. These protected names and images include the following registered trademarks:”

URBAN HOMESTEAD®
    URBAN HOMESTEADING®
    PATH TO FREEDOM®
    GROW THE FUTURE®
    HOMEGROWN REVOLUTION®
    FREEDOM GARDENS®
    LITTLE HOMESTEAD IN THE CITY®

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2011/02/16/fyi-urban-homestead-trademark-matter/

It looks like there is quite a bit of backlash against their trademark frenzy. Interesting article and following commentary you had linked.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

TaraK wrote >>

I’ve never heard that one. Also, you want to grow cilantro from seed – it doesn’t transplant well.

HeySquare
    HeySquare
    Login to Send PM

Does anyone find it hilarious that the phrase “path to freedom” is trademarked, and can’t be used without permission? lol

AmyD
    AmyD
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

racheltb wrote >>

lazyfish wrote >>
    frontier seems like a useful term, remember when Italian village north of 1st was the frontier, seems weinland park still is. I’ve heard east of Ohio is the frontier. Urban pioneer may be trite, what about homesteaders?

Oooh – Don’t say urban homestead. It’s copyrighted.
    I just might have some urban-caught-’varmint’ in the freezer. What does that make me?

Dalrymple?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?