Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Q: Best Affordable Champagne for Mimosas

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Q: Best Affordable Champagne for Mimosas

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I’m not much of a champagne connoisseur, but I’m willing to bet that most people would probably agree that it doesn’t take anything extremely fancy to mix with Orange Juice for a tasty Mimosa.

So… does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on an affordable champagne that works well in this mixed-drink format? I want to provide something good for a party, but don’t want to break the bank either.

patient_zero
    patient_zero
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I recommend a sparkling wine from Spain called Segura Viudas Brut Reserva. Although it’s only $10 or so a bottle, it’s fruity, has a nice splash of citrus without being too acidic or dry. I like making mimosas with it, but enjoy drinking it as well. And it’s easy on the pocket.

http://www.seguraviudasusa.com/brut-reserva-sparkling-wine.html

For a sweet but tasty mimosa, I’d consider a bottle of Martini & Rossi Asti Spumanti. About $13 a bottle, it’s a sparkling wine that’s easy on the palate, with or without orange juice.

CheeseFoodie
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

+1 to Patient0 on the Spanish Cava. There is a Spanish Cava at World Market and other places called Cristalino Brut Cava that is most excellent for mimosas, and it’s usually $6.99-$8.99 per bottle.

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m sorry that I don’t remember the name but my fiancee and I shared a bottle of $5 champagne from Giant Eagle last year and we loved it either by itself or mixed with juice.

Schoolboy
    Schoolboy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

if you want it sweet
    i know it’s the most generic champagne out there, and i enjoy the best as much as the next person
    but we always buy verdi asti to make mimosa’s
    verdi asti is way too sweet on it’s own
    pretty sure mimosa’s are the only purpose it could possibly ever serve :)

SJT
    SJT
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Patient Zero’s is a good choice. I typically use Piper Sonoma Brut when I make mimosas. It’s a bit drier so it keeps the drink from getting too sweet. I believe it retails for about $12 a bottle. I have a bottle in the fridge now actually. Hmmmm… it IS Sunday morning, I may have to indulge later after I get some coffee in me :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions! This will come in handy! :D

patient_zero
    patient_zero
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker, I have another suggestion for your Mimosas. I can’t believe I forgot to mention this. Well, I know how you and Anne are ambassadors for local or Ohio made products. In keeping with your philosophy, I also recommend Valley Vineyards Champagne ($10). This was one of the featured wines at the North Market Food and Wine Festival a few years ago. I took a few bottles home with me. I’m not sure why they call it Champagne, because it’s not from the Champagne region of France, blah, blah blah, but it is a sparkling wine that will be great in mimosas and is an Ohio made product. You can find it at better Krogers, Giant Eagle, and in other areas around town.

http://www.valley-vineyards.com/

For fun, you can also make Peach Bellinis with your sparkling wine:

3.0 parts Sparkling Wine
    1.0 dash Peach Schnapps
    1.0 part Peach Nectar

Directions: Fill champagne glass three quarters with chilled champagne, add dash of peach schnapps, top off with peach nectar.

melissagiggles
    melissagiggles
    Login to Send PM

not bashing anyone…but…mimosa’s should NEVER be served with a spumante…EVER..haha…anyway..italian sparklings go best…mionetto “il” prosecco is about $13 a bottle…yum…also…bollicini prosecco is 10.99 and also delish…

there’s enough sugar in orange juice…a sweet champagne is overkill…the crispness of italian sparklings really go well with mixers…

that being said..segura is delicious and we actually have HUGE magnum bottles for 10.99 right now at world market…that would be alright for mimosas…although I’d stick with a prosecco.

patient_zero
    patient_zero
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

melissagiggles wrote >> …mimosa’s should NEVER be served with a spumante…EVER..

Oh really? Could you cite your source? A simple Yahoo search turned up page after page of mimosas made with spumante. On the first page there was a drink menu from the Villa San Michele in Florence, Italy. Their mimosas, in Italy mind you, are made with spumante and not prosecco.

Mimosa
    Spremuta d’arancia, spumante
    Fresh orange squash, spumante

Really, as I’m almost sure you will affirm this, drink flavor and sweetness can vary by taste preference. I know that prosecco makes killer mimosas. But I also know that Walker barely drinks sparkling wine, and prefers mixed drinks over beer. So I gave him a few options to let him choose.

http://www.orient-express.com/web/ovil/cocktail_menu.jsp

mrsgeedeck
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

CheeseFoodie wrote >>
    +1 to Patient0 on the Spanish Cava. There is a Spanish Cava at World Market and other places called Cristalino Brut Cava that is most excellent for mimosas, and it’s usually $6.99-$8.99 per bottle.

Can’t agree more with the Cristalino, this is my go to inexpensive sparkling, nice on its own, but mixes well with fruit flavors. This summer I mixed it with strawberry lemonade and it was delicious!
    They sell it at Giant Eagle as well as Europia, but I think WM or GE have the best prices on it.

melissagiggles
    melissagiggles
    Login to Send PM

patient_zero wrote >>

melissagiggles wrote >> …mimosa’s should NEVER be served with a spumante…EVER..

Oh really? Could you cite your source?

Yea…my palate.You failed to quote the “haha.”

I am well aware that many people and many establishments make mimosas with spumante…Which is why I can rarely have a mimosa with brunch..

Really…I was just being silly.

patient_zero
    patient_zero
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

@melissagiggles Your palate is the perfect source. About 20 minutes before I read your post last night I took some night time cold medicine. When I read your post and started typing I started to fall asleep at the keyboard. My thoughts were jumbled and if my post came off snarky, I apologize. Next time I swallow some cold medicine I’ll wait until the afternoon to post.

Thanks for the heads up on the magnums. Are those the Herredad? I did a Segura search on the World Market site and it was the only one that surfaced. Regardless, both are a value. The current W.M. flier listed liters of premium extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar for $7 and a D’Aquino Blue Rondoval Pinot Grigio for $10, so I need to make a run out to your store.

Rastapasta
    Rastapasta
    Login to Send PM

I can’t stand the super sweet champagne (as do many most of my friends), and use Brut in my Mimosas. We have literally thrown away bottles of the sweet stuff with out drinking it

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

For something a little less sparkly, we often make cocktails out of Vinho Verde, a dry-ish semi-sparkling white from Portugal. Trader Joe’s carries bottles for $4.99 and it’s pretty good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?