Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Proposed Development on Poplar Avenue in The Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Proposed Development on Poplar Avenue in The Short North

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by JPowell JPowell 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    JPowell
    JPowell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I was doing a little Victorian Village research and noticed a proposed new development on 22-28 Poplar Street. (This is the dirt vallet lot behind Hyde Park) The proposal was submitted in October of this year. It’s mixed use consisting of a 3 story building, with 5 residential units over street level commercial space and residential parking to the rear. It goes on to say that in order for this development to happen, the applicant (Giannopoulos Properties) will use the land for a maximum of 2 years as a parking lot and then the development would move forward pending approved designs.

I live right next to this lot and it is an eyesore. I thought it would be great for a midrise condo or apartment building, but this will do just fine.

Anybody here any updates on the proposed boutique hotel yet??

Cyclist
    Login to Send PM

jpizzow wrote I was doing a little Victorian Village research and noticed a proposed new development on 22-28 Poplar Street. (This is the dirt vallet lot behind Hyde Park) The proposal was submitted in October of this year. It’s mixed use consisting of a 3 story building, with 5 residential units over street level commercial space and residential parking to the rear. It goes on to say that in order for this development to happen, the applicant (Giannopoulos Properties) will use the land for a maximum of 2 years as a parking lot and then the development would move forward pending approved designs.

I live right next to this lot and it is an eyesore. I thought it would be great for a midrise condo or apartment building, but this will do just fine.

Anybody here any updates on the proposed boutique hotel yet??

Cool. Sound appropriate for that site.

Yeah that lot is an eyesore. Its for valet parking. I love how the endowed can be provided these eyesore lots to park their Lexsi and Benz’s. This Poplar one, the former Rossi county fairground lot, the dirt triangle at Kerr and E. Russel, E. Hubbard, ETC.

Vinchen should make a PSA mocking the “Its 7:30. Do you know where your children are?” Into a “Its Friday night in the SN. Did you know your $50,000 car is in a mud lot that brings down the quality of life for its neighbors?”

View Larger Map

Pro Se
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

With Kerr moving forward, has anyone heard updates on whether this Poplar eyesore is moving forward?

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This might be a derail but since we’re talking about proposed SN developments does anyone know what’s going into the building at N. 4th and 2nd Ave in Italian Village. It’s a commercial space that never had anything in it but yesterday there were some contractors that seemed to be working with a purpose there. Be nice to see something go in there.

beersie1
    Login to Send PM

Saw this too Rory- very curious. It looks like a great space..

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This development is back on the latest VVC agenda from this month and sounds like it is moving forward!

15-29 West Poplar Avenue
    Michael Paplow (Applicant) Giannopolous Properties (Owner)
    An application and drawings have been submitted.
    • Revise previously approved building design of south façade from metal panels to brick with balconies and metal panels at bays.

http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Victorian_Village_Commission/Meetings/2013/2013%20VVC%20AUG.agd.pdf

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Mixed Use Project on Poplar in Victorian Village Moving Forward
    Published on August 15, 2013 6:00 am
    By: Brent Warren

Local developer Stelios Giannopoulos is moving forward with his plans to build a three-story mixed use building on a small parking lot on West Poplar Street. The lot, which is less than a quarter acre and overlooks I-670, sits just west of the High Street Cap.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/mixed-use-project-on-poplar-in-victorian-village-moving-forward-bw1

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It’s getting to be hard to keep track of all the new developments going on in Columbus now…

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You’re not kidding!

Not sure if it’s something anyone would want to take on, but a google map with pins that contain links to CU write ups or the like would be useful.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

drew said:
    You’re not kidding!

Not sure if it’s something anyone would want to take on, but a google map with pins that contain links to CU write ups or the like would be useful.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

drew said:

I’d do it myself if I could find a few free hours on a weekend to comb through it all. ;)

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

drew said:
    You’re not kidding!

I actually did that at one time… and then my comp crashed and I lost it all. I do have a list that I try to update regularly, however… It’s here: http://allcolumbusdata.com/?page_id=12 I try to give the information for type of project, address, cost, height, # of units, etc.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

jbcmh81 said:
    I actually did that at one time… and then my comp crashed and I lost it all. I do have a list that I try to update regularly, however… It’s here: http://allcolumbusdata.com/?page_id=12 I try to give the information for type of project, address, cost, height, # of units, etc.

Wow! Nice!

urbanenthusiast
    urbanenthusiast
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Happy to see infill there, but architecturally COMPLETELY UNINSPIRING. YAWN.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

A few photos of the lot as it exists today:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?