Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

Parking Meters on High Street Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Parking Meters on High Street Downtown

This topic contains 226 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Getting a ticket sucks, but its an issue between you personally and the City of Columbus, right? Why threaten to punish small business owners Downtown as an outcome of that?

Why? Because I have the temper of an angry 8 year old. If something runs the risk of triggering my temper, I avoid it. Besides, if the businesses complain, maybe the city government will change its policy.

Granted, saving downtown businesses is not as important as spending city money on pet projects: $300,000 on ten bike shelters or $2 million on a bike sharing system.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 said:
    Why? Because I have the temper of an angry 8 year old. If something runs the risk of triggering my temper, I avoid it. Besides, if the businesses complain, maybe the city government will change its policy.

Granted, saving downtown businesses is not as important as spending city money on pet projects: $300,000 on ten bike shelters or $2 million on a bike sharing system.

Put another way, parking tickets specifically and parking problems in general are disincentives to patronize downtown retail.

To overcome that, downtown retail of any kind would have to offer some incentive to counteract that disincentive; either unique products not available anywhere else ( including online ), significant cost savings, or something similar.

tl;dr version: give people a reason to put up with the bullshit or they wont.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

How is it bullshit? Read the posted signs and set your phone alarm.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Put another way, parking tickets specifically and parking problems in general are disincentives to patronize downtown retail.

To overcome that, downtown retail of any kind would have to offer some incentive to counteract that disincentive; either unique products not available anywhere else ( including online ), significant cost savings, or something similar.

tl;dr version: give people a reason to put up with the bullshit or they wont.

No. I am just going to cry, scream and yell. Then I will hold my breath till I am blue in the face. Then I will scream and yell again. I am not very mature when I get provoked. My unhappiness outweighs any pleasure I might have experienced for the evening. It is my fault for failing to check the meter. Understanding that does not make me feel any better.

So, rather than risk that, I will just avoid the whole situation.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels said:
    How is it bullshit? Read the posted signs and set your phone alarm.

Read “bullshit” as “hassle” if you like. For those used to drive -> park -> fugheddaboutit it’s an additional inconvenience. A disincentive.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 said:
    No. I am just going to cry, scream and yell. Then I will hold my breath till I am blue in the face. Then I will scream and yell again. I am not very mature when I get provoked. My unhappiness outweighs any pleasure I might have experienced for the evening. It is my fault for failing to check the meter. Understanding that does not make me feel any better.

So, rather than risk that, I will just avoid the whole situation.

Sure.

Why bother with all that if you don’t have to?

ehill27
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I don’t see the need to convince people about the benefits of the urban lifestyle. If they aren’t interested, that’s fine. They can have Easton, I can have my city. Different strokes…

peter
    peter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Parking meters serve the real purpose to regulate and distribute access to areas where demand for parking exceeds capacity. They are not some evil plot or conspiracy theory to soak outsiders for city income. If you can’t figure out how to park at a meter without getting a ticket, 1) grow up, and 2) you deserve what you get. Do us all a favor and stay out of the city if you can’t hack it.

Sorry ’bout it.

peter
    peter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Or: call a cab.

buckette13
    Login to Send PM

They should put that on a sign on the door of every downtown business… ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

peter said:
    Parking meters serve the real purpose to regulate and distribute access to areas where demand for parking exceeds capacity. They are not some evil plot or conspiracy theory to soak outsiders for city income. If you can’t figure out how to park at a meter without getting a ticket, 1) grow up, and 2) you deserve what you get. Do us all a favor and stay out of the city if you can’t hack it.

Sorry ’bout it.

Right there with ya.

There is nothing I need from downtown retailers I can’t get elsewhere.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

peter said:

Sorry ’bout it.

Certainly. I am not wanted so I will stay away. I never have to worry about parking tickets when I ride my bike downtown.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

wow. I’m seriously LOLing now.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Rockmastermike said:
    wow. I’m seriously LOLing now.

Seriously though: why spend money downtown when there are options with less hassle? What’s downtown that isn’t in, say, grandview or upper arlington?

buckette13
    Login to Send PM

Not to disagree, because I see your point but the Grandview Strip does have meters (columbus part) and parking can be a hassle depending on when you go.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 230 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?