Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

Presidential Election Results 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Election Results 2012

This topic contains 306 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 307 total)
  • Author

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

He’s one of the original Moral Majority guys, was a bigger deal in the 80′s.

He’s also, apparently, the worst prognosticator on Earth.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/130485/claim-krugman-is-top-prognosticator-cal-thomas-is-the-worst/

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    He’s one of the original Moral Majority guys, was a bigger deal in the 80′s.

He’s also, apparently, the worst prognosticator on Earth.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/130485/claim-krugman-is-top-prognosticator-cal-thomas-is-the-worst/

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Looks like a 70% latino vote for Obama is changing the GOP’s thinking on immigration. Took just 2 days to do that.

Hannity and Boehner adjust view on immigration

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

So since Tuesday, Boehner’s open to new tax revenue, discontinuing challenges to Obamacare, and open to real immigration reform…I’m starting to have some faith in the ability of government to get things done.

And btw, bravo Boehner…2 words I never thought I’d type.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It would be sweet to simplify the tax code, even if the result were revenue-neutral, just reduce the amount of administrative thrashing on everyone’s part.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

alexs said:
    It would be sweet to simplify the tax code, even if the result were revenue-neutral, just reduce the amount of administrative thrashing on everyone’s part.

Exactly.

Jman4ever
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You know how to get a simplified tax code?

-Every year lock up the Senate and the House in a room with tax forms, calculators and pens/pencils.

-Keep them there until their taxes are done. By hand. By themselves.

There’s your incentive.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Well, looky here! Looks like a lot of influential politicos who don’t vote. Including the much-worshipped Nate Silver! Appears I am not alone. http://www.businessinsider.com/famous-people-who-dont-vote-2012-11?op=1

Looks like a lot of them have a strong interest in moderation and neutrality, just like me.

This was a real relief to find.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    So since Tuesday, Boehner’s open to new tax revenue, discontinuing challenges to Obamacare, and open to real immigration reform…I’m starting to have some faith in the ability of government to get things done.

And btw, bravo Boehner…2 words I never thought I’d type.

These guys are realists. The GOP staked everything in the last 4 years on destroying Obama and lost. He’s not up for another term after this one, and their strategy didn’t buy them any new votes, popularity or extra political power. Time to play ball, and maybe build up a little good will before 2014 rolls around.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Manatee said:
    Well, looky here! Looks like a lot of influential politicos who don’t vote. Including the much-worshipped Nate Silver! Appears I am not alone. http://www.businessinsider.com/famous-people-who-dont-vote-2012-11?op=1

Looks like a lot of them have a strong interest in moderation and neutrality, just like me.

This was a real relief to find.

not being critical of your stance, but it seems the list of people on your link do it mostly to remain impartial in the voting process or be perceived as not picking sides for their careers. Lew Rockwell seemed to be the only one who didn’t vote because he does not believe in the system and the zero value of casting ones vote.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    remain impartial in the voting process or be perceived as not picking sides for their careers

That’s exactly my point of view. I’m not a famous media analyst, but I do feel strongly drawn to jobs and situations that demand neutrality– which in human relationships often manifests as tolerance or trying to understand more than one side of an issue.

I’m not saying it’s intolerant to vote, or anything like that– more power to you in the voting booth– just that I thought it was interesting that my non-voting seems to fall in line with a larger trend in a particular kind of person’s psychological makeup.

tdziemia
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Look for the mortgage interest deduction to get whacked in the “Fiscal Cliff” negotiation. Heard an analaysis that Republicans can only sell revenue increases inside the party if it does not look like restoring higher incremental tax rates. The mortgage interest deduction primarily favors the upper classes, so it is the only loophole that would generate new revenue and sensibly meets both Republican and Democratic goals (revenue increase with no tax rate increase, but have revenue increase fall primarily on the wealthy). Could look something like the interest deduction being only allowed on the primary residence (not second, third and fouth houses as is currently allowed), and it will be capped (pick a number … maybe $15,000/yr?).

James
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

tdziemia said:
    Look for the mortgage interest deduction to get whacked in the “Fiscal Cliff” negotiation.

Wait until the armies of NAR and Home Building Lobbyists get mobilized. That should be an interesting battle.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM
    Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 307 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?