Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

Presidential Election 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Election 2012

This topic contains 2833 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,071 through 2,085 (of 2,844 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #437053

    GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    A lot of the reputation for government waste came out of the Regan-era “Star Wars” program.

    #437054
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    I work for the government. Let me buy you a beer and I can spend hours boring you with excruciating detail about government inefficiency. Then, I can start ranting about big business and its inefficiencies. Give me enough time and I will rage on about how corporate management of major corporations is corrupt and how management is cheating the shareholders.

    The problem comes with any large entity where you have representatives making decisions and taking actions on behalf of everyone. Over time, the representatives end up acting in their own best interests and not in the interests of the entity.

    #437055
    joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    If you hate it, why do you stay? (WAY off topic, but seems like you have a major intellectual problem with the raison d’etre of your employer)

    #437056
    rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    GCrites80s said:
    A lot of the reputation for government waste came out of the Regan-era “Star Wars” program.

    *cough*[/url].

    *cough*cough*

    Come on. Efficient, cost effective government really shouldn’t be a partisan issue. Partisan issues should be more about what government’s goals are, not that waste, duplication of effort, or the like are good things.

    #437057

    Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    Personal responsibility, you say?

    What Romney doesn’t understand about personal responsiblity[/url] (and pretty much anyone who uses the words “personal responsibility” to hold themselves above other people)

    The thing about not having much money is you have to take much more responsibility for your life. You can’t pay people to watch your kids or clean your house or fix your meals. You can’t necessarily afford a car or a washing machine or a home in a good school district. That’s what money buys you: goods and services that make your life easier, that give you time and space to focus on what you want to focus on.
    That’s what money has bought Romney, too. He’s a guy who sold his dad’s stock to pay for college, who built an elevator to ensure easier access to his multiple cars and who was able to support his wife’s decision to be a stay-at-home mom. That’s great! That’s the dream.
    The problem is living the dream has blinded him to other people’s reality. His comments evince no understanding of how difficult it is to focus on college when you’re also working full time, how much planning it takes to reliably commute to work without a car, how awful it is to choose between skipping a day on a job you can’t afford to lose and letting your sick child fend for herself. The working poor haven’t abdicated responsibility for their lives. They’re drowning in it.
    In their book “Poor Economics,” the poverty researchers Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo try to explain why the poor around the world so often make decisions that befuddle the rich.
    Their answer, in part, is this: The poor use up an enormous amount of their mental energy just getting by. They’re not dumber or lazier or more interested in being dependent on the government. They’re just cognitively exhausted…

    I’ve been following these studies, as they’ve rolled out. Really interesting stuff.

    #437058

    GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    rus said:
    *cough*[/url].

    *cough*cough*

    Come on. Efficient, cost effective government really shouldn’t be a partisan issue. Partisan issues should be more about what government’s goals are, not that waste, duplication of effort, or the like are good things.

    Right. But that’s when people started really noticing it. Perhaps Star Wars was the kind of decadence that it took to expose government waste.

    #437059

    jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    So Romney goes on Univision with “brown face”. This should help with Latino voters.

    #437060
    rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    joev said:
    What specifically does the government not to a good job at? I find your premise faulty. There is surely waste in government spending – but what services exactly would a corporation be better at managing equitably (with a system for recourse?)

    Side note, perhaps, but I’d love to see how this turns out.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/06/honduras-new-city-laws-investors

    #437061
    ShadowboxLive
    ShadowboxLive
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    #437063
    ShadowboxLive
    ShadowboxLive
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    Um, sorry. Almost posted in the wrong thread. Carry on. Presidents and whatnot.

    #437062

    myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    hugh59 said:
    I wish I was as good at building straw men as Obama is. The difference is, I understand liberal arguments, agree with many of them, and respect the people who hold those ideas. You tend not to be vicious when you understand and respect the people you are communicating with.

    I think Obama really believes the nonsense he says about conservatives. He has been quoted as saying that he really hates conservatives.

    I have met Cookie and Coremodels. Heysquare is one of my best friends. They also happen to all be liberal. I really like them. I think they are good representatives of the liberal cause (though their views are not identical). I do charity work with a group that is almost 100% populated by liberals. The people at my synagogue are almost all liberal. That is a long way of saying I do not hate liberals. I just disagree with some of their ideas.

    And to be clear, I think it is okay for government to help people. But we need to be careful with the kind of help government gives because resources are not unlimited and delivery of services is not perfect. It is perfectly fine with me to assist some people who have made bad decisions.

    You say you think ideas are ok, but then say that implementing them is really impossible? Besides that, you seem stuck with this idea of what a liberal is based on some caricature of a 1970s baby boom war protester. Granted, there were excesses in the 70s, I think anyone using that time period as a basis for understanding liberalism going forward hasn’t paid much attention to what’s happened in the interim.

    The 4 big government cash giveaways of the last decade have been 2 wars, the drug bill, and Bush’s tax cuts. Zero were paid for and zero were planned on being paid for by the people in power at the time.

    Do liberals want the government to do everything, no. Do they want the government to tackle problem of a scale, or cross-cutting concern that are very difficult to solve through private means, yes. Do they wish to bury their heads in the sand and pretend an issue does exist, no really.

    #437064
    rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    myliftkk said:
    You say you think ideas are ok, but then say that implementing them is really impossible? Besides that, you seem stuck with this idea of what a liberal is based on some caricature of a 1970s baby boom war protester. Granted, there were excesses in the 70s, I think anyone using that time period as a basis for understanding liberalism going forward hasn’t paid much attention to what’s happened in the interim.

    The 4 big government cash giveaways of the last decade have been 2 wars, the drug bill, and Bush’s tax cuts. Zero were paid for and zero were planned on being paid for by the people in power at the time.

    Do liberals want the government to do everything, no. Do they want the government to tackle problem of a scale, or cross-cutting concern that are very difficult to solve through private means, yes. Do they wish to bury their heads in the sand and pretend an issue does exist, no really.

    Do you think Obama is a liberal? Romney? One critique I keep hearing of Romney is he’s too much like Obama ( Obamacare / Romneycare for instance ).

    From previous discussions here, you’ve said Obama and Romney are a lot alike. I wonder if you think that means Romney is as liberal as Obama or if, to you, that means Obama is as conservative as Romney.

    #437065

    Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    rus said:
    Do you think Obama is a liberal? Romney? One critique I keep hearing of Romney is he’s too much like Obama ( Obamacare / Romneycare for instance ).

    From previous discussions here, you’ve said Obama and Romney are a lot alike. I wonder if you think that means Romney is as liberal as Obama or if, to you, that means Obama is as conservative as Romney.

    You’re going to have to tell us which Romney you mean. 208 Romney or 2012 Romney. They’re pretty much completely different guys.

    #437066
    Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    #437067

    Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    Is deficit reduction your salient issue? According to outgoing Rep. Steve LaTourette, your best hope is if Republicans get clobbered come November!

    http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2012/09/latourettes-fas.php

Viewing 15 posts - 2,071 through 2,085 (of 2,844 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?