Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

Presidential Election 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Election 2012

This topic contains 2,833 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,041 through 2,055 (of 2,844 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    You misunderstand. I’m not saying he was talking to independent voters he was trying to woo, I’m saying he was talking about independent voters he was trying to woo.

The entire 47% speech was basically saying his path to victory was paved with the votes of independents…which he’s now losing.

Ah.

I don’t know if you can say that, though. From the gallup article:

A substantial majority of Americans have already made up their minds about their vote choice, so it is likely that many of those who claim to be “more likely” or “less likely” to vote for Romney are, in essence, indicating that the comments reinforced their pre-existing vote choice. This may be particularly true of Democrats, who have the strongest immediate reactions, with more than two-thirds saying the comments make them less likely to vote for Romney. Given that Gallup Daily tracking data show that only 5% of Democrats are voting for Romney anyway, it is unlikely that these sentiments from Democrats will significantly change the course of the election.

Similarly, since 92% of Republicans are voting for Romney, it is unlikely that the 44% of Republicans who say the comments make them more likely to vote for Romney will affect the race.

But independents — voters who are, by definition, less fixed in their partisanship — tilt toward the “less likely” over the “more likely” view by a 29% to 15% margin — although more than half say Romney’s comments make no difference.

If that pattern, that most people have made up their minds and this event only reenforces their choice, holds true with independents then 53% of them are effectively unmoved.

In other words, perhaps while independents are less partisan than D’s or R’s they still have a party inclination if not affiliation.

Overall though this story has played generally negative, sure.

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cookie said:
    Jon Stewart killing it. Chaos on Bullshit Mountain: The Entitlement Society

I saw that last night – great stuff!

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jbcmh81 said:
    I haven’t seen it posted here, but most of the polling averages for Ohio, if not all of them, are between 3.5-4 points in favor of Obama. Fox News had it as +7 for Obama, which is probably too high, but still hilarious. Obama just needs to win Ohio and the election is pretty much over. There’s no indication that Romney has much of a chance just looking at what he’d have to do with the electoral college if he loses Ohio, even if the popular vote is closer.

Poll averages have been skewing to Obama, although most are in the 3 – 4 point range.

No matter who wins, I hope the margin is greater than that come November.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Heh heh. Woo is a funny word.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

GOP’s Romney, Ryan Plan Ohio Bus Tour Next Week
    Thursday September 20, 2012 8:19 AM

LIMA, Ohio – Mitt Romney’s campaign says the Republican presidential candidate and running mate Paul Ryan will launch a three-day bus tour across Ohio on Monday. The campaign says Ryan will begin in Lima on Monday and then visit Cincinnati on Tuesday. Romney will be in Dayton that day and will head to Columbus, Cleveland and Toledo on Wednesday.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/09/20/romney-ryan-ohio-bus-tour.html

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ohio is going to vote for Obama. So is Virginia, and Nevada, Iowa, New Hampshire, Colorado, Florida and Wisconsin. Romney will pick up Indiana and MAYBE North Carolina (but that state even looks iffy for him.)

hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Romney is getting beaten up in the media (and on this thread) because, in private comments to a group of contributors, he made a simplistic statement concerning the “takers versus makers” argument. President Obama has made similar simplistic attacks on the people who don’t vote for him and those comments sometimes get him in trouble. How will independent voters see all of this? I have no idea. Something that seems significant to those of us engaged in this process often is of little importance to people who are not engaged.

Social liberals believe that government should use its vast powers to address social problems. Most Americans, liberal and conservative, can agree that there are services that the government should provide or perform. Unfortunately, government is rarely efficient at doing anything.

One could argue that social liberals have a very negative view of humanity. One could argue that social liberals believe that people are too stupid and too irresponsible to take care of themselves. They believe that the government must step in and take care of everyone. Go ahead, smoke, drink to excess, eat junk food, overeat, have sex with lots of different partners; you can’t help yourselves. If things go wrong, don’t worry. The government will be there to help you out.

Some people believe that people should try to be responsible for their own lives; that you should only ask for help when bad things happen that are outside of your control. These people are condemned or ridiculed if they call attention to the fact that too much pleasurable behavior can have bad consequences. If they complain about paying too much in taxes in order to compensate people who are less conscientious they are told that they are trying to impose our morals on others. They are told that they are uncaring or that they are selfish or that they are racists. None of this is true.

We will probably live long enough to see our government run out of the money it needs to pay for all the services we have deemed vital. What do we do then? It does not seem to matter who we vote for, government assumes more responsibilities and gets bigger. Republicans claim that they want to cut spending, but when they get in power, they spend and spend and spend. Democrats make no secret that they want to spend more for more…and they do. Democrats claim that the current deficits are really the fault of spending that was locked in during previous administrations. That is partially true, but spending priorities can always be changed.

Obama got elected and he had big Democrat majorities in both houses of Congress…big enough in the Senate for part of the time to overcome any Republican filibusters. True, for several months the Democrats lacked 60 votes in the Senate because of the delay in counting the votes in Minnesota. After Al Franken was seated, the Democrats had to deal with the fact that Edward Kennedy and Robert Byrd were both dying and were mostly absent. Maybe they should not have run for re-election in 2008. But, the Democrats had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate (something Republicans have never had in the entire history of this Republic). They froze Republicans out of the decision making process (though if Obama had tried to include the GOP, he probably would have faced rebellion from the more liberal members of his own party). The Democrats took the easy way out: they voted for programs that would be the most helpful for their constituents then offered just enough to get a few GOP senators to vote in favor of the stimulus package.

Whew! Do you have any idea how hard it was typing all of that on a phone?

Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Thank you.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 said:
    have sex with lots of different partners

I’m especially impressed that you managed to type it on a phone from the 1950s.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    Thank you.

Indeed. Thank you.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cookie said:

Oh, don’t worry your pretty little head. You won’t have to budget for birth control. A man made sure someone else will pay for it for you.

Now run along and play with your dollies.

;-)

hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cookie said:

Typing on a rotary dial phone is a challenge.

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Typing on a rotary dial phone is a challenge.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

I know that Romney supporters probably didn’t click on the Daily Show link because liberals, but it pretty succinctly describes the other side of the argument. It isn’t gimme free stuff. It’s why do you think you earned your free stuff, but my free stuff is grubby mooching? And it does it with jokes.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 said:
    We will probably live long enough to see our government run out of the money it needs to pay for all the services we have deemed vital.

Who’s the “we” here? Reagan used to essentially claim this all the time, and that “we” is long dead.

As for the takeout version of social liberal psychoanalysis, the reason social liberalism wins culture wars is because the idea that engaging in an laundry list of activities is going to earn you eternal punishment at some aforementioned future time, by some invisible being, isn’t really a winning strategy. In fact, you’d be physically safer if social liberalism spread more quickly to some of our national enemies and they were more worried about their own social security and who snooki was smushing on a given episode than waging jihad on us.

kit444
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cookie said:

I’m especially impressed he could build all those straw men with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,041 through 2,055 (of 2,844 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?